997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Removing Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:49 PM
TxNative is infamous around these parts
Removing Shift ****

I am about to replace the Manual Shifter with a short throw sport shifter on my 997.
The first step is to "Unclip leather boot".
Before I break something, I would like some more info on how to remove the boot.
One post on the board says "lift up the boot". B&M says to "unclip leather Boot".
My question: do you pull straight up? or straight back? or lever it up with a screwdriver or something?
Last thing I want to do it screw up my interior.
I know several of you have done this before. Any help?
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:43 PM
topspd is infamous around these parts
I wedged in an old credit card and then pulled up and back. I used the B&M and these links to Cayman DIY to assist when I put in my sport shifter;

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/sh...oduct=27&cat=4
http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/sh...oduct=13&cat=3

For the **** removal, I used another trick I found on the Cayman forums that suggested instead of using brute force to pull the **** off, you use a visegrip or adjustable wrench locked onto the shaft then use a set of open needle nose pliers to lever off of the visegrip/wrench and pry up the ****. I used this method for a quick and easy shiftknob removal.

Here's a pic of what it's like removed, note the clip locations

And to get the tough screw, I bent a T20 screwdriver in a vise;

Last edited by topspd; 08-20-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Pull the front of the boot up. The rear has tabs. Just the boot portion will come up.

Once that is up the **** has a black ring around the bottom. Twist it so it unlocks from the base of the shift ****. It then will pull off the lever with some effort.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
TxNative is infamous around these parts
Thanks very much for the help.
Seeing the picture of the boot up separate from the chrome gave me a lot of additional info. The B&M picture shows the chrome attached to the boot which may be from a different/earlier model. Without your help, I probably would have tried to lever under the chrome instead of under the boot.
Thanks again.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:28 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Useful pics...we should have a technical area of the website where to learn how to install parts and mods...like that thread...thanks for the pics, I just learned something

Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Pulling it off by the boot is a leap of faith. That thing does NOT pull off easily. Once pulled up over the **** you turn the lower ring (it has 2 wrench flats) clockwise 90 degrees and pull up on the **** till you get a brain hemmorage.
Note, I test drove my car after installing my P SS kit without putting the console back on. The car will throw an error code about the airbag because the airbag warning light was unplugged. The dealer will need to cancel that error code for you.