996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BLACKED OUT headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:42 PM
HIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud of
Exclamation BLACKED OUT headlights?

thought id post this in the 996tt/gt2 section since you all have "facelifted" headlights so ever since i got my 996 c4s the idea of blacking out my headlight housing has been on my mind but i never got enough info to be completely comfortable with taking apart/f'ing up my headlights if anyone has any info on blacking out all the chrome inside of the headlight it would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!!

(just imagine all the chrome in the headlight FLAT BLACK )

Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
i have cracked many headlights open but never recommend it to my customers. once you open it up, you are adking for moisture, no matter how well you seal it up.
i have used the fllowing method for other car but never a p...so i dont know if it will work....here is how i have done others
remove headlights, place them in oven, bake for 20 minutes at 225 or so..
pry the backing off, remove pieces you want painted and paint them.
clean off all the glue residue from the face and back of the light housing.
reinstall all painted pieces, glue front and back back together.
once again, i never recommend cracking open your headlights, this is only a method i have used on other autos

Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I have actually thought about doing the same thing. Its the only part of my car not black. I have even thought about just tinting the entire lense.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
i would probably recommend just tinting the entire thing as well.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
I've done a tint on the whole thing. It's not black, but you can go darker..

Old 06-12-2007, 09:26 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
I also thought about doing the same thing. I am not into the tint. Too much black. I think it would be cool to just paint what was chrome.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
I did the smoke spray.. didnt come out that good.. it was okay..but i took it off..

Old 06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
HA HA, yep, I too am on the same road...we'll see how it goes. I don't think the tint will look good, it must be painted if possible.

or just do a 997 face lift kit.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 PM
HIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud ofHIGHcard has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON
HA HA, yep, I too am on the same road...we'll see how it goes. I don't think the tint will look good, it must be painted if possible.

or just do a 997 face lift kit.

yeah...painting the inside housing is the only way to go! if you are gonna go for it...a write up would be really sexy i heard there was one out there that had blacked out headlight housings, but ive never seen it for myself we need to bust this myth...i honestly think it would look crazy good on some facelift 996 headlights! hmm...

thanks for the input everyone!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:47 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Here's a company that does the '02+ NSX headlights......

http://www.clearcorners.com/products.../nsx1/h_lamp2/

Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HIGHcard
yeah...painting the inside housing is the only way to go! if you are gonna go for it...a write up would be really sexy i heard there was one out there that had blacked out headlight housings, but ive never seen it for myself we need to bust this myth...i honestly think it would look crazy good on some facelift 996 headlights! hmm...

thanks for the input everyone!
A while back I was trying to buy broken ones just to test this idea out! I love the look of the GTC cars and the 997's. I wish a vendor would offer this mod. I am nervous to do it myself.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I want to bust mine open and try this really badly. I am gonig to start asking around. If the car was garaged and not in bad weather, I wonder if not having a perfect reseal would be a problem.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Motoracer is infamous around these parts
When I have my Infiniti G35 a few years back, I had a shop pop my headlights and dremel out the orange for the blinker. He heated them to get them open, and then resealed them after.

Job was done great.

Located in Pompton Plains, NJ. I can check with him if he'd be up for doing some Porsche headlights.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
I want to bust mine open and try this really badly. I am gonig to start asking around. If the car was garaged and not in bad weather, I wonder if not having a perfect reseal would be a problem.
ha ha...me too...cant get it off my mind the chrome in the headlights just seems "too much" sometimes when i look at my car

...nice to see the kids come out and play and show interest in this little predicament one of us has to make this happen!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Motoracer
When I have my Infiniti G35 a few years back, I had a shop pop my headlights and dremel out the orange for the blinker. He heated them to get them open, and then resealed them after.

Job was done great.

Located in Pompton Plains, NJ. I can check with him if he'd be up for doing some Porsche headlights.
sounds great! any problems at all with the finished product...like condensation? and if you remember how much he charged to pop the lights open thatd be cool too! thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BLACKED OUT headlights?