My Old School 930 Restoration *PICS*

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:26 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
My Old School 930 Restoration *PICS*

Well my 930 has been down for the last 4 months while having the body completely painted and a few modifications. You will notice in the pics a few aerodynamic tricks that will make this car a lot more slippery in the air. All the work is being done by RJ's Paint Shop in Pleasanton, Ca. The engine and tranny were rebuilt about a thousand miles before it went into paint. After the paint is done it will be getting an EFI conversion when I get it back to Phoenix. Here are some of the latest pics and I will update when get more!

Attached Images      
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Here is a small vid of the car today at the shop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1hrmwoEZVo

Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 PM
DougM is infamous around these parts
Are you building a race car? Also what is he exhaust? The flare on the outlet is nice. Very subtle.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 PM
ZLP
Originally Posted by DougM
Are you building a race car? Also what is he exhaust? The flare on the outlet is nice. Very subtle.
It will see very little track. This is mostly my street hotrod. I have another 911 that I use as a racecar. The muffler is a Monty.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:19 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
When will it be in Phoenix? I want a ride.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 AM
ZLP
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
When will it be in Phoenix? I want a ride.
I move back in May and will be doing the EFI conversion over the summer.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:34 AM
mclaren55 is infamous around these parts
Looking good, keep us updated.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:10 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZLP
I move back in May and will be doing the EFI conversion over the summer.
Let me know when you get into town.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:49 PM
ZLP
Here are a few from today:

Attached Images    

Last edited by ZLP; 01-21-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Looking forward to how it'll turn out after the paint.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Nice ZLP!

I would love to start a new project with an older 911 turbo, the flares on the pre-993s cars are just a killer. I would certainly focus on aerodynamics this time around..

If I can give you some tips while you are in there, on things that are doable (Many others are great, but difficult)... I have some of the worse aerodynamics possible on a Porsche, even worse than the original GT2, so I am very aware and digusted at how much it impacts performance.

Mirrors won't do much, don't bother
Shave the rain gutters since you are doing body work (not easy but excellent)
Narrower front tires
Flush rear window with the roof
Lower the car
Increase rake (lower front than rear) a bit beyond Porsche recommendations
Don't use a stock 930 wing, go for something more modern that helps with downforce while not increasing drag.
Try to have a CF (or Fiberglass) tray made under the body from front to rear, covering the whole length of the car with screws to take it in-out. (the race GT2 EVO versions had this, decreases drag and improves downforce).

Oh one more thing if you go EFI , stick with Motronic!

Keep us in the loop! Thanks for sharing

Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
ZLP,

Great project! Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted!

Originally Posted by Jean
Try to have a CF (or Fiberglass) tray made under the body from front to rear, covering the whole length of the car with screws to take it in-out. (the race GT2 EVO versions had this, decreases drag and improves downforce).
Jean, do you know anyone who manufactures such a product for the 996 Turbo/GT2? I read somewhere that TechArt does. I think it was CJV who mentioned that. Know if its true or not? Thank you.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Phoenix,

Last week-end there was the 24 hours of Dubai and I was discussing with Franz Konrad this exact topic, as I had noticed in the pits that his 996GT3RSR had the tray as well. It was not a fancy piece, but rather a sturdy 1/4inch flat panel. These have to be custom made, Fiberglass will do the trick as well.

The board ended with another piece with a large diffuser in the back going beyond the end of the bumper (I have seen a GT2 EVO racer with one as well). In a 24 hour race aerodynamics are as important or more than driving fast, you reduce consumption and save the engine by reducing the stress needed by the engine to overcome drag..

You might find aftermarket suppliers, but I would bet that it will be cheaper to get one custom made.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Thank you once again Jean.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
ZLP
Jean,
The car is getting the RUF A pillar inserts, 993 quarter window gasket, 964 front and rear windshield gaskets, one windshield wiper, and no side mirrors. The front tires are only 225's and the car is as low as it can go so there I can't do much. This is my street hot rod that can already reach is gear limited top speed quite easily so I just wanted to do a few subtle things to make it get there a little faster. If I was going all out I would mimic my boss' old car(in my avitar) which when we went out it did 230mph on the salt with the 3.0 liter engine and 217mph with the 2.0 liter engine! Good times! Does anyone sell and under body tray for the old cars? Could I chop up a 993 one?

Last edited by ZLP; 01-22-2007 at 01:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Old School 930 Restoration *PICS*