1st Porsche......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I have not noticed a rattle in my sunroof, but I am usually listening to the Burmeister.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:31 AM
DocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to all
There is a thread on the fix for the most common sunroof rattle somewhere, it has to do with needing a specific type of lubrication in a specific site. I rennlist, also, and the thread may be there. I am waiting to see if I have this problem, I do have an intermittent very subtle rattle but then it is gone. I honestly do not see how the car doesn't develop a thousand rattles from the extremely powerful Burmester.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM
DocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to all
Found the thread and copied the text for you...... The following is not my info but the renlist sunroof rattle thread info:

I was told that there was a specific Porsche Bulletin to fix this problem. The problem was caused by detergents used by main dealers when cleaning the car which dried out the seals and caused the roof to rattle and squeak. There isn't anything new in this info because other forum posts mention this. The chief mechanic said that it was a fairly simple job and a special lubricant was needed.

When I picked the car up the rattles had completely gone but the passenger side one returned a week or so later.. although not as bad as it was before.

In all cases opening the sunroof cleared the problem. A couple of weeks back I took the car in again for this and other reasons.

They applied lubricant as before and the rattle vanished again. At the time one of the sales people there said that they had had a demo 911 991 Carrera that took at least 3 goes to completely sort.

Yesterday I heard the rattle again on a pretty rough road and thought I would ask the service dept at Sheffield what lubricant was used and if it was a DIY job.

The service people at Porsche Sheffield are extremely helpful and said that if I brought the car in they would do the job completely FOC and, if I wanted, show me what they did and the product used.

The lubricant they use is:

Porsche part number P999.917.557.00 "Grease", cost is a remarkable £50 or thereabouts.

I am reliably told that the actual manufacturer is Dupont and it is a version of the Krytox range:

http://www.krytox-lubricants.com/

I don't know which one of these it is because Porsche re-brand it and there is a chance it may be specific to Porsche.

The mechanic did say that the use of other types of lubricants may cause warranty problems, may destroy or damage the seals and may cause the car to explode (ok that last bit was a lie).

The application method is quite simple:

All the work was carried out from outside the car and took no more than 5 mins.
Open the sunroof fully.
Put a bead of grease on a clean rag and rub it onto the rubber seal which runs all around the edge of the "removed" section of roof.
Take some care not to put too much on and, if you'll pardon the expression, rub it in a little and work it into the rubber folds/grooves.
Finally put a thin layer on the inside of the roof area where the "removed" section will seat - outer extremities only.
Do not apply any grease to the internal soft rubber areas which aren't exposed to the elements.

Finally he said that he was going to a large Porsche conference in the next few weeks and would ask the right people if there were any other tips/fixes in the pipeline.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 AM
kcphuah is infamous around these partskcphuah is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=

ps - did you purchase your TTS in Vancouver?[/QUOTE]

I ordered it thru Victoria.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:28 PM
B&O Guy is infamous around these parts
DocMalone,

That's terrific! Thanks for the comprehensive post - it has allayed my concerns.

Cheers to you, sir.

Allan

Old 10-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Apologies DocMalone,

I've just realized your first name.

Thank you Lady Malone for sharing your insights.

Allan

Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Apology not necessary; I am definitely one of the "guys" when it comes to the 911.
My husband always says he won the lottery with me, as I want cars and trucks and other toys instead of purses, shoes, and jewelry...

Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
DocMalone,

Wow. Your husband is a lottery winner.

Beautiful car.