SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mtony
I presently drive an e46 M3 (might have seen you at Road Atlanta) but am contemplating purchasing a 991 CS. I was researching Atlanta dealers and came upon your thread and have been captivated by your transformation of the car. Would you mind sharing which dealer and shops you recommend in Atlanta for suspension work, spoiler installations, etc? Thanks!
No problem at all since I have been happy with both my dealer and the shop.
Hennessy Porsche is my dealer (my sales person was David and he has been very helpful) and I am going to FREED Performance for modifications: http://www.freedperformance.com/.
It is a small operation but Sean Freed is really a perfectionist and a Porsche expert (worked for years at Hennessy).

Of course, both the dealer and the shop are located north of Atlanta in Roswell/Cumming where I live.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts
If you have to replace your rotors I wonder if Giro has 991 applications yet? I did for mine and has been great for Track/DE events.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
If you have to replace your rotors I wonder if Giro has 991 applications yet? I did for mine and has been great for Track/DE events.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I have not found 991 parts from Giro. It looks like Brembo is already selling BBK's and direct replacement rotors for the 991.
I am currently looking at the cost/performance/size compromise. I went for 18" track wheels so a 15" BBK will not fit, but Brembo does direct replacement rotors (2 parts vs. 1, better materials...) so as soon as more aftermarket performance pads become available, the problem should be mostly resolved.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Found this pic on the net. Was taken during my previous week end at Barber...

Look at those big brakes on the Porsche, that's what I need!
What, you do not see the Porsche??
Big brakes do make a difference!

ChuckJ

Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Big brakes do make a difference!

ChuckJ
I heard someone commenting that being a headlight (on the driver side) can be pretty cool too Damn, people can be silly...

Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Almost there...

I went to the tire shop today to take delivery of my track wheels and, in all modesty, they looked great. We went for 18" to save some weight and $$ for frequent tire replacements.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7316764436/
Now the bad news is that the shop had checked the fitment on the front wheels (brake clearance) and assumed it was OK at the rear. Bad call: there is a clearance issue at the rear wheels and the lower control arms are touching the rims. In conclusion: 18" wheels will not fit on a 991.
This may have seemed obvious to some and I could have done some research but I trusted the shop. They addressed it very professionally and I'll get the same wheels painted red in 19" next week. Lesson learned!

The good news is that I'll be able to fit the biggest Brembo BBK!

Last edited by SM_ATL; 06-02-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
A: 18's do not fit, the problem is the rear lower control arm. nothing below 19" will fit and even some 19" multipiece wheels will not fit because of the drop center.

B: i feel you should disable the rear wing with that spoiler... just like with duck bill, the rear spoiler up/down gets disabled via PWIS

Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
A: 18's do not fit, the problem is the rear lower control arm. nothing below 19" will fit and even some 19" multipiece wheels will not fit because of the drop center.

B: i feel you should disable the rear wing with that spoiler... just like with duck bill, the rear spoiler up/down gets disabled via PWIS
A: perfectly right. Never trust someone else, always check yourself! This being said, the tire shop usually does a great job and they did not charge me a penny of course

B: it defies a bit the purpose of having more downforce. This being said, I'll probably go for the Porsche aerokit when it becomes available.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM
ManhattanSpin is infamous around these parts
LESS IS MORE...Seriously. Once you go too far with the modifications you lose a lot of the classic style that makes the 911 so special.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by ManhattanSpin
LESS IS MORE...Seriously. Once you go too far with the modifications you lose a lot of the classic style that makes the 911 so special.
True. But I am only looking at a long term spoiler option and going for the aerokit (or the ducktail that is slowly growing on me) is still a Porsche/OEM option. At this point, I'll be done with 'visual' mods and am focusing on performance upgrades:

-Brembo BBK
-Specific wheels for track days (right size this time)
-Bucket seats (black alcantara OEM style)
-Engine tune (when available and reliable)
-Sway bars (when available)

and maybe a few other things... As far as cosmetics are concerned, part of the track decals will be gone for the summer and i'll probably go back to a full white body for the winter. This will give me time to think about a different track theme for the next season.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
i feel you should disable the rear wing with that spoiler... just like with duck bill, the rear spoiler up/down gets disabled via PWIS
Got back to your post and, until something else (aerokit) becomes available, I'll leave the rear wing active. I personally do not fin the result that bad. Jus a question of personal opinion of course...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7316819238/

Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 AM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Got back to your post and, until something else (aerokit) becomes available, I'll leave the rear wing active. I personally do not fin the result that bad. Jus a question of personal opinion of course...

I don't track my car. At what speeds do you feel the Sportec rear wing "negatively affects" the stability of the car? I really like the look.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by NSD991
I don't track my car. At what speeds do you feel the Sportec rear wing "negatively affects" the stability of the car? I really like the look.
A bigger spoiler is supposed to generate more downforce and make the car more stable at (very) high speed. If you trust that the 75mph setting of the retractable OEM spoiler means something this is when it should start to actually have an impact. To be perfectly honest, you do not feel the difference on the track with a 991: your top speed is going to be in the 110-140 mph range depending on the track (at least those that I have been to).

It is probably more functional when you get closer to the max speed. Put the car on a big oval and you would feel the difference.
As far as I am concerned, I take it for what it is, a nice visual improvement that can do no harm -or slightly help- in terms of performance (except for a couple of mph's lost in top speed, but this is irrelevant anyhow).

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Great, thank you. When you upgrade to the OEM spoiler keep me in mind, I may buy your Sportec if I can get it repainted Dark Blue Metallic.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by NSD991
Great, thank you. When you upgrade to the OEM spoiler keep me in mind, I may buy your Sportec if I can get it repainted Dark Blue Metallic.
Thanks. Sure will.
The would be no issue to repaint in another color, any paint shop will do it easily and the spoiler is only attached with 4 screws and a bit of adhesive.
The one issue to be aware of is that you would see a bit of high speed (>80 mph) wobbling when you look in you rear view mirror. Nothing big or worrying, but the OEM retractable spoiler support is not perfectly rigid when it is extended.

PS: this spoiler is from SpeedART, but the only thing that matters is what it looks like

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal