Exterior Paint to Sample list

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012 | 01:56 PM
|
StPatsDay is infamous around these partsStPatsDay is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Exterior Paint to Sample list

Here is the just released list of special paint colors you may order on your new 911. Enjoy... (courtesy of the good people at Porsche of the Main Line)

Porsche Exterior Paint to Sample List 6-4-2012.pdf

Old 06-18-2012 | 02:35 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
interesting!

Old 06-18-2012 | 02:40 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting. Thanks. So many grays and blues.

Old 06-19-2012 | 01:29 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Very cool...thanks for posting. I wish there was an actual paint color sample to match along with the color name.

Old 06-19-2012 | 01:32 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Zeus
Very cool...thanks for posting. I wish there was an actual paint color sample to match along with the color name.
agree

Old 06-19-2012 | 01:41 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely would be nice.

Since most of them (all of them?) are previously used Porsche colors google searches for the color names can come up with some photos.

Old 06-19-2012 | 02:50 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Most of the colors have an "F" next to them meaning that some kind of feasibility check has started but has yet to be completed. I wonder what is the reason that requires such feasibility checks and whether they may result in some colors not being available after all.

Old 06-19-2012 | 05:52 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nicoff
Most of the colors have an "F" next to them meaning that some kind of feasibility check has started but has yet to be completed. I wonder what is the reason that requires such feasibility checks and whether they may result in some colors not being available after all.
That was definitely my second question! I mean, if you were trying to match a Ferrari or Lamborghini color and get it on your 911, sure, you may need a "feasibility" study. But a color that already exists under Porsche's roof? C'mon.

I hope they come up with a couple of really unique, wild, yet very classy colors for the Turbo, GT3/GT2. "Special paints" essentially.

Old 06-19-2012 | 06:38 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nicoff
Nicoff: Series production folks worry about uniformity of colors on the various surfaces that paint is applied on their cars - steel, aluminum, plastic, carbon fiber, etc. How well do they adhere & cover? What base primer works best with it? What are the fade factors for each surface? It is not a theoretical issue for them - they worried about warranty claims from customers years down the road and to keep up the standards expected of a well painted luxury car that bears the Porsche badge.

There is also some political play in the world of PTS. Certain colors that were introduced in limited production models (e.g. Pure Blue in the recent Speedster or the 'Sport Classic Grey') are not permitted to be ordered via PTS. Popular old colors like 'Gulf Blue' and 'Gulf Orange', vintage production colors that remained popular until recently, are now in jeopardy because Gulf Oil has become very proprietary about its 'colors'. The last 'Gulf Blue' factory painted production car, to my knowledge, was in a PTS Carrera GT. And that was over 5 years ago! I asked for it in a MY2010 gt3 a few years back and it was denied. Regardless of the 'feasibility' study listed in the above report for those 'Gulf' colors, I doubt they will be approved. So you also have to contend with all of these political aspects in the PTS process.

Finally, we know there are paint issues that appear in the course of production which eventually pushes a color into oblivion. 'RS Orange' is case in point. It was a popular & exclusive gt3 RS color in MY2007. But in MY2008, Porsche allowed any other 911 to be ordered in this color. It also used 'RS Orange' for its limited edition Boxsters and Caymans in MY2008. It was last used in PTS MY2011, before it was disallowed sometime last year (early spring of 2011). In its place, PAG recommends a new (somewhat similar) color 'Pastell Orange'. 'Signal Yellow', an old vintage early 911 color, was allowed to be ordered on one gt3 RS that went to England. Something happened (probably warranty issues) and PAG refused to do that color again via PTS. On the other hand, 'RS Green', introduced in the MY2007 gt3 RS, is still listed as doable PTS color to this day. That is not 'Signal Green', my all time favorite, but a color of its own, specially designed for that model and since somewhat popular via PTS in other models.

Still, PAG may play hard ball on any PTS request. They may ask for a color sample on a metal surface to be sent to them at Zuffenhausen for feasibility studies. This will most certainly apply to a color not listed in the Exterior Paint to Sample attached by the OP. So even though my '07 997S was painted by the factory in 2007 in 'Signal Green' via PTS, I don't see it listed in the OP's list. I have their 'colour code' from the inside gas cap, but that might not be enough. So they may ask me to send them a sample of that color before they commit. Perhaps it is also a liability thing. If they have a sample from you and match it, you can't latter claim that the color is not the right one you ordered.

PTS is a game for those with patience. But for willing to put up with the bureaucracy of the Porsche ordering process, the results will be so unique as to be worth the effort!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

Old 06-20-2012 | 12:14 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Sounds like an intentionally drafted pain in the butt process for prospective buyers...

I'm not interested in their political games. Feasibility as far as trademark issues or proper consistency between various painted surfaces aside (the recent "ice blue" debacle being one), I feel for the buyer who wants a custom color anymore....

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-20-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2012 | 09:08 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
agree.

Old 06-21-2012 | 04:10 AM
tomshop is infamous around these parts
I don't understand why Atlas Grey which was available for the 911 for years isn't available for 911s. Great color.