Euro tail lights with amber turn signals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
I've heard this argument before and have actively tried to reproduce the situation, yet have been unsuccessful. I completely realize what you're saying, but the fact that you're:

1. Staring at the US-spec rear light of the car, and
2. Seeing the light ON, but then immediately turn OFF a split-second afterwards,

...would give you a correct indication (at least 99% of the time) that this person is not applying the brakes steadily enough to warrant any sort of action on your part. If said person has slammed on the brakes or, alternatively, is signaling a turn, chances are that you'll notice it in time. Hell, even if they have a burned brake light, you'd notice their intention within a split-second. That split second should be enough time if you're keeping a minimum distance from the car in front of you (and not tailing him ).

I can imagine some rare instances where, for example, you're racing down the freeway going 150mph and you need to determine whether the 911 down the road (blocked by said truck) is braking or getting ready to turn in front of you. Sadly, that situation seldom arises here in the States if you're following posted speed limits.
Agree. Worrying about the millisecond or two exposure to such ambiguity is probably overthinking it. But if spending several hundred dollars to eliminate the risk floats your boat, that's great for the economy.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Founder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Agree. Worrying about the millisecond or two exposure to such ambiguity is probably overthinking it. But if spending several hundred dollars to eliminate the risk floats your boat, that's great for the economy.
I agree we're not talking a major issue here, just an avoidable one. If a simple amber signal eliminates any confusion, why would you sacrifice it in the name of aesthetics?

I would say that what you call a millisecond of ambiguity is more like a full second, and that is very significant at speed.

As a product guy I'm not really offended by the exposure to risk as much as I am about the decision to choose form over function.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 AM
dwaynemosley is infamous around these parts
Someone with access to red tail lights with Amber turn signals should put together a group buy. I'd be interested.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 PM
jkhatri is infamous around these parts
Just got my euro tail lights today. I ordered the same kit as Dean.

Install is a breeze.

1) Raise the rear spoiler to the full upright position.

2) Snap off the plastic covers immediately above the lights. There are a pair of torx screws per light that need to be removed to release the light. The Cleveland road salt from last winter made this a bear for me; one of the screws was insanely tight. Lack of clearance makes leverage an issue. Take care not to strip the screw!!! Ask me how I know; won't be quitting my day job.

3) Once you have the North American tail lights disconnected, compare to the euro tail light socket. You will need to trim off a tab and round off a corner of the euro socket to allow the North American plug to fit. (self explanatory when you have the light disconnected). I used a small round file and utility knife. Even with this modification, the plug fits securely.

4) Reverse steps and take time to align the lights correctly prior to tightening the screws.

Aside from the amber turn signal, I think I like the clear tails better than stock. They match my clear corners and the clear DRLs in the front. Car is too filthy for decent pictures tonight. Will post the final results soon.

Originally Posted by Dean Kewley
I had some clear euro tail lights fitted to my US spec 991. And they work perfectly. I have an amber turn signal and all other lights function as they should on a euro model. The clip is the same fit but you need to trim off a small piece of plastic on the clip to get to slot in. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the process as the guy that imported my vehicle changed them. But he said it was less than a 10 min job to change both.

These are the little i order:- Clear LED Rear Lamp Kit. Porsche 991 Carrera LHD Cars
CLEAR LED REAR LAMP KIT. PORSCHE 991 CARRERA LHD CARS
Code: 99104490015

Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
For WA State owners on the "clear" lights......not sure if it pertains to the Euro?

Many jurisdictions are looking to boost $ revenues

From WA State Patrol FAQ website:

"Are clear tail lamp lenses permitted?"

No. Washington has adopted the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 for all aftermarket lighting equipment. FMVSS 108 is very specific for tail/brake light lenses as well as front side marker light lenses. Most clear aftermarket lighting lack the required reflex reflectors and side marker lights. Using "red" bulbs in clear lenses is not acceptable as it does not meet FMVSS 108. All aftermarket lighting must have the same functionality as those originally installed.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Clear tails should be fine as they are available as a factory option on the US Porsche online configurator.

Not sure that a cop level set on ticketing you would care but all the boxes for my euro clear side markers and clear tails had this sticker on the box.

Oddly the first vendor that I ordered the tails from declined to fulfill my order. He indicated that his distributor would not allow him to sell non-US market parts to a US customer.

Originally Posted by HotHonda
For WA State owners on the "clear" lights......not sure if it pertains to the Euro?

Many jurisdictions are looking to boost $ revenues

From WA State Patrol FAQ website:

"Are clear tail lamp lenses permitted?"

No. Washington has adopted the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 for all aftermarket lighting equipment. FMVSS 108 is very specific for tail/brake light lenses as well as front side marker light lenses. Most clear aftermarket lighting lack the required reflex reflectors and side marker lights. Using "red" bulbs in clear lenses is not acceptable as it does not meet FMVSS 108. All aftermarket lighting must have the same functionality as those originally installed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131216_203418_473.jpg
Views:	1754
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	312085  
Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Finally got a nice day to take some shots of my clear euro tail lights.

I think they go nice with the clear DRLs and euro side markers.

...and of course I get a proper rear turn signal that has NOTHING to do with the brake lights.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 AM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
I'm glad you got what you wanted. These lights look great.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:53 PM
rnaidu
Found the euro clear light set (99104490015) available in the US from Suncoast Porsche ($595), or Sonnen Porsche ($471.30). It seems reasonable compared to buying the individual clear euro lights (99163114309 & 99163114209) which are about $490 each or the red euro lights (99163114112 & 99163114212) which are $528.46 each. Has anyone sourced the red euro lights (with amber turn signals) cheaper? I have a 2012 Agate Grey 991 and would prefer to have red rear lights but may opt for the clear lights since they are more reasonable.

Last edited by rnaidu; 01-26-2014 at 12:55 PM.