Few rattle fixes that may help ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 12:14 PM
hdawg is infamous around these parts
Post Few rattle fixes that may help ..

Hi guys, had more than my fair share of rattle squeaks on my 991 c2s and a few of these were fixed so this may help some of you with similar issues.

1. Sunroof rattle. Turns out that the sunroof was not sitting tight and needed pulling into the frame a little and after some adjustment by the porsche techs this was solved. Not hear a rattle for a year.

2. Rattle from front dash area, passenger side. Turns out this was the front suspension top mount that was faulty and causing the suspension to sometime push up on the plastic cover over the battery compartment which was then juddering and causing a rattle type noise in the dash.

3. Driver seat started creaking like an old sofa. Techs took seat out , stripped it and put it back together. Now sorted.

4. Driver b pillar vibration. Turns out a clip around the trim at the top of the driver seatbelt area had just worked loose and was a simple fix.

5. Now turns out that my dealer noticed a whirring noise on drive off and said my oil seperator is to blame and will be changed under warranty.

Great car, but a pain in the *** at the same time! Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Great info!

Old 11-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for this information! It may come in handy!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Unbelievable reading. Who is bolting these cars together?

FF

Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info.
I have a love / hate relationship with my car also. Love how it goes, but man everything just bloody rattles. I think I have 6 things in the cabin that are loose at the moment... soon I'll take it in. Right now I only drive with all the windows down or with music very loud. Otherwise I just get too frustrated.

Don't think ill buy porsche again...

Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 AM
What is more amazing is that I also have a 2010 new shape cayenne which hasnt had a single rattle since day 1. Louder music certainly the way to go though sometimes that just causes the door to vibrate. Lol. Cant win .

Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Unbelievable reading. Who is bolting these cars together?

FF
The problem is just that! There are no bolts holding the interior together. I've taken most of the interior trim off and the only thing that used bolts in addition to clips is the door panel. Just about everything in the interior just pulls off. The rear seats are a joke. I remember something just being held in place with velcro!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
I was wondering if folks could add the model year (and many month built) of the vehicles with the rattles.

I remember with the 997 chassis, Porsche labored long and hard to get rid of the rattles. By the time they got to the later 997.2 models, there were tons of resources to squelch the rattles!

If it turns out that these are first or second model-year issues, and they were solved later, at the very least we could point that out when asking for them to be fixed. Some dealers are very, very lazy when it comes to rattle-hunts. If they know Porsche came up with a fix, they can at least get a push in the right direction!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Thanks. that B Pillar buzz is driving me nuts.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 AM
dyim is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hdawg
Hi guys, had more than my fair share of rattle squeaks on my 991 c2s and a few of these were fixed so this may help some of you with similar issues.

1. Sunroof rattle. Turns out that the sunroof was not sitting tight and needed pulling into the frame a little and after some adjustment by the porsche techs this was solved. Not hear a rattle for a year.

2. Rattle from front dash area, passenger side. Turns out this was the front suspension top mount that was faulty and causing the suspension to sometime push up on the plastic cover over the battery compartment which was then juddering and causing a rattle type noise in the dash.

3. Driver seat started creaking like an old sofa. Techs took seat out , stripped it and put it back together. Now sorted.

4. Driver b pillar vibration. Turns out a clip around the trim at the top of the driver seatbelt area had just worked loose and was a simple fix.

5. Now turns out that my dealer noticed a whirring noise on drive off and said my oil seperator is to blame and will be changed under warranty.

Great car, but a pain in the *** at the same time! Hope this helps someone out there.
What is your mileage? That is a lot of noise!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 AM
I have 7000 miles on the car in 13 months. Sunroof rattled the moment i picked the car up from the dealer. Its an early 2012 build , dealer said early 2012 cars may have suspect oil seperators. I also find that the porsche technicians vary a lot in ability but there is normally a gold rated one in each dealership. These are the best (hence gold) if u can get them on the case.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have a 991S Cab, build date January 18, 2013, and have not had any rattles at all in 9500km of driving other than my brain rattling around in my head. In fact only issue has been the code asking for a service be done too early.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mtony
The problem is just that! There are no bolts holding the interior together. I've taken most of the interior trim off and the only thing that used bolts in addition to clips is the door panel. Just about everything in the interior just pulls off. The rear seats are a joke. I remember something just being held in place with velcro!
Velcro!!!!..... I am honestly shocked with the 991 build quality issues being highlighted. My wife has been looking at a 991 but it is definitely making us think twice about our options.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 AM
scarneva is infamous around these parts
I also have a late January 2013 build 991 Cab, no rattles in 3000 miles. The only interior noise it makes, albeit very slight, is the drivers seat belt retractor 'ticks' slightly at times as I am moving about in the seat and the belt extends/retracts. Certainly not annoying enough to have the dealer service department disassemble the rear trim of the car to address it.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I have an early 2012 build. Took a bit to undo a door rattle and about 7 "recalls" for a variety of fixes and updates. No more rattles or issues after 18 months and 18 k miles. For those thinking the world has gone to hell, contemplate a car now regarded as the classic. My 1978 911 SC (new) required many "retightenings" of trim, unbending of heater control bell cranks, replacement of the rubber clutch center and upgrading chain tensioner oilers. These fixes were not "optional", like the stainless steel heat exchangers and a variety of other things.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Few rattle fixes that may help ..