991 S vs Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 AM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
991 S vs Cayman GTS

I am looking at both of these as possible replacements for my current M3.

On paper, other than outright speed capability, the Cayman appears to be the the more precise and dynamic car.

Please give me some insight on why the 911 driving experience would be better, other than the power. It seems that the 911 is so much more popular, and yet it would seem that the mid-engine design of the Cayman is, in reality, superior.

I am not interested in things like "heritage", "the 911 is the icon", "Cayman is not a real Porsche", etc. I want opinions on the actual driving experience. Cost is also not a factor. I am just looking for the toy that feels more like it is wired to my own nervous system and/or will put a bigger grin on my face when driven.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 AM
Capsfan is infamous around these parts
Go drive them and formulate your own opinion vs. taking random opinions from people who may or may not relate to your tastes. Both cars I am sure will be great in their own way.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 AM
wch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the rough
I'm contemplating exactly the same thing as you (moving my E92 M3 for a Cayman GTS or 911). I set up a test drive today for a Cayman S and 911 C2S - no GTS available for test drives. Perhaps we can compare notes.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Capsfan that you really need to do some test drives to formulate your own opinions regarding these vehicles.

Has the 981 Cayman GTS even arrived yet at dealerships?

I went from a 981 Boxster S to my 991 C4 and I can say that I would rate the 981 as the better car from a purely handling aspect. Compared to my 991, the 981 felt more balanced; however, it also felt considerably lighter (in terms of being planted to the road) and was not as comfortable in terms of ride feel (that may be a subjective thing). I cannot speak for the 981 GTS but, to me, my 991 C4 seems to have more torque than my 981 Boxster S. My assessment is that both the 991 and 981 are extremely dynamic and fun vehicles to drive and, as to which is better, it really depends on the particular driver.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Leslierc
I agree with Capsfan that you really need to do some test drives to formulate your own opinions regarding these vehicles.

Yes, the Cayman GTS is available at dealers. My local dealer just had one (pre sold) arrive last week. The guy that bought it had one of the 991 GT3's with the barbecue engine. He let Porsche buy that one back and is going to try the Cayman GTS for a while. So far, he is really impressed. He trades cars frequently, so not sure how long he will keep it. His is white, and a stunning looking car.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Oh boy.... Here comes Steve O !!

Just when the other one came to an end ....

Drive them. Totally personal preference. Both models have their merits.

This was discussed and fought over thoroughly in the "911 base for the city" post.

Last edited by STG991; 08-18-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Yep, go testdrive and decide for yourself.

It's basically personal taste, been beaten to death in other topics. It's like the s / non-s, MT / PDK discussions. Personal taste, nobody will ever win those discussions.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
I have both a 991S and a 981 Boxter (wifes car). I have done some track days and also have a SCCA Spec Miata and my last car was a Lotus Exige. While the Boxter is a little more nimble on very tight turns, I prefer the 991 on everything else. The Boxter is a tad more predictable and easier to drive but the character of the 991 makes it more fun IMO. The 991 is a whole world apart from old 911s. It now drives a more like a larger mid engine car. It no longer alternates between understeer and oversteer like the older Porsches but still retains a bit of the old 911 character. Buy the car that speaks to you.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
dude174 is infamous around these parts
I looked at both cars when I replaced my E92 m3 as well. To me the cayman S (gts wasn't out yet but hp increase is like 15 I think) felt similar to the m3 in engine response. Similar performance numbers I think as well. It drove better in the twisties and was much more tossable. The 911S feels more powerful (I know hp is similar to e92) and performance numbers bear out this perception. The torque is higher too, although not a tremendous amount, perhaps it's gearing but 1st gear is much more "alive"? in the 911S than the m3. As far as handling, in my experience it's much improved vs the m3 as well, doesn't feel as heavy especially around town.

Other intangibles that May or may not matter to you: the 911 has a back seat. While it's not huge nor hospitable for tall people, if you have kids it's not a torture chamber. My 12 yo has been in the back seat on a few rally drives and to car shows. It's obviously better than no seat (cayman), if you need one. I don't think the cayman is available with sunroof if that matters. Hmm, I think fuel mileage is similar. The insurance is cheaper in the 911 for whatever reason, maybe in the same way a vette is cheaper than camaro for coverage, I dunno.

Compared to the m3, I think the 911S is a no brainer. I thought I would miss my m3 but after a few months I don't, at all. Not one thing, well maybe the trunk space!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by S-B-D
Please give me some insight on why the 911 driving experience would be better, other than the power. It seems that the 911 is so much more popular, and yet it would seem that the mid-engine design of the Cayman is, in reality, superior.
Both cars have more than enough handling on the road. Any slight differences would come down to options on each car (PDCC, SPASM, PDK etc.) Both feel mid-engine at anything less than 9/10ths due to the advanced ECU's, torque vectoring, etc.

Besides power (which is no small thing), 911 has roomier feeling cabin (no wall right behind your head), better instrument layout, option for sunroof, etc.

911 of course also comes in 4WD if that matters.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Dan991C4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Both cars have more than enough handling on the road. Any slight differences would come down to options on each car (PDCC, SPASM, PDK etc.) Both feel mid-engine at anything less than 9/10ths due to the advanced ECU's, torque vectoring, etc.

Besides power (which is no small thing), 911 has roomier feeling cabin (no wall right behind your head), better instrument layout, option for sunroof, etc.

911 of course also comes in 4WD if that matters.
The "lack of room behind your head" and the lack of a sunroof in glass made the cayman a no go for me. To each his own but cayman a claustrophobic feel to me.

Last edited by Dan991C4; 08-18-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:50 PM
CptSlow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by S-B-D
I am looking at both of these as possible replacements for my current M3.

On paper, other than outright speed capability, the Cayman appears to be the the more precise and dynamic car.

I am not interested in things like "heritage", "the 911 is the icon", "Cayman is not a real Porsche", etc. I want opinions on the actual driving experience. Cost is also not a factor. I am just looking for the toy that feels more like it is wired to my own nervous system and/or will put a bigger grin on my face when driven.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
I think I remember you from the BMW forums. Your picture looks familiar.

My wife and I were BMW people for a long time. Had a 335i, 128i, M3, 135is. We traded the M3 for the 135is, and 6 months later the 135is for a '14 Cayman S. Just last week we traded the 128i in for a '12 991 911S. Both cars are terrific. What are you wanting specifically s a replacement for the M3? More "go-cart" or more "GT"?

Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Capsfan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Leslierc

I went from a 981 Boxster S to my 991 C4 and I can say that I would rate the 981 as the better car from a purely handling aspect. Compared to my 991, the 981 felt more balanced; however, it also felt considerably lighter (in terms of being planted to the road) and was not as comfortable in terms of ride feel (that may be a subjective thing). I cannot speak for the 981 GTS but, to me, my 991 C4 seems to have more torque than my 981 Boxster S. My assessment is that both the 991 and 981 are extremely dynamic and fun vehicles to drive and, as to which is better, it really depends on the particular driver.
Porsche of tysons has one in the showroom.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I had the last generation cayman (09 S with pdk and sport chrono)and now a 991s. Before buying the 991 I did test drive a new cayman. it is a great car but for me the 991 was just more. More of everything. You wouldn't be unsatisfied with a Cayman but for me the 991 was the better car and more special imo( as it should be as it costs so much more)
I echo everyone else in that you should drive them both and make up your own mind.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 PM
GrayBlack is infamous around these parts
Porsche did a great job with the cayman gts. I have a buddy picking one up and looking forward to whipping it around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 S vs Cayman GTS