996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

CPO purchase question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
CPO purchase question

If someone is considering buying an 01 turbo with less than 10k miles from a small used car dealership can that someone drive the vehicle over to a porsche dealership to get it CPO'd? How does that work?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Nope.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
shadow996 is infamous around these parts
Nope. Don't even bother to do that, just get a aftermarket warranty for a peace of mind.

CPO is kind of useless as they always find a way to say that the repair is not covered. You probably can see how many complaints are on this forum, including mines.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM
liquidcool is infamous around these parts
I'm surprised to hear you say, don't get a CPO, but get an aftermarket warranty. In my experience the CPO will cover a lot more and with a lot less headache than the aftermarket warranty.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have any experience with CPO, but my Total Shield aftermarket warranty has almost paid for itself in just 2 warranty issues in the past 2 years.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
You cannot have it CPOd after the fact. To say that a CPO does not cover anything is really misleading. It is the most comprehensive pre-owned warranty offered by any manufacturer plus its a great selling point for resale. I have many many happy customer with CPOd cars. It does not cover everything but every dealer shoud have a complete comprehensve list that they can show you. If you have any questiosn shoot me a PM. Id be happy to help!

-Andreas

Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 PM
BlueRanger is infamous around these parts
Is there a published list of what is covered by a CPO car?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
clt8981 is infamous around these parts
it will cover that infamous 2nd gear pop out issue everyone worries about...that is worth it alone if you ask me..

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PorscheCPO2.pdf (324.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I just wanted to say that I am extremely pleased with my Total Shield Warranty. I have the highest level plan and it covers almost everything. In fact it lists what it doesn't cover but everything else is covered.

Last friday, cruising down the 10 in Santa Monica I had coolant spraying out of my right front end and thought it must have been a hose. I figured it had to be under warranty and had it towed to BH Porsche. My service advisor, Erik Patino called me on Monday to tell me I must have hit something that blew a hole in my radiator and it wasn't going to be covered under warranty but he will try to get it approved anyway. I was even told that in most cases a blown hose would not have been covered. So, imagine how happy I was to get a call yesterday from Erik who told me that my new radiator was going to be covered and that I was only going to have to pay my $100 deductible and the difference in labor rates. Total out of pocket was $300.

Just goes to show you that not all extended warranties are bad and also it pays to have a good service guy who knows what to tell the warranty claims department in order to get an approval.

BTW, I also found out I don't have to take my car to the dealer in order to get repairs. I was told that I can even bring my car to independents like LUCENT and the warranty company will work with them to cover my repairs.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
You cannot have it CPOd after the fact.
True.

To CPO a car, the dealer must own it- technically they could buy it from the small dealer, tax free, and then CPO it and sell it to you... but why?

They'll want 3-4k plus the cost of the cpo, around $1500 to PCNA

Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
To say that a CPO does not cover anything is really misleading. It is the most comprehensive pre-owned warranty offered by any manufacturer plus its a great selling point for resale. I have many many happy customer with CPOd cars. It does not cover everything but every dealer shoud have a complete comprehensve list that they can show you. If you have any questiosn shoot me a PM. Id be happy to help!

-Andreas
The Porsche CPO is one of the worst.

I actually read warranties. It is much worse than BMWs. It is 'inclusionary' in that it has a narrow list of what is covered, plus significant exclusions.

The real issue, IMHO, is that the dealer- who is the one acting on your behalf in getting coverage- is conflicted since they are also an agent for PCNA. Furthermore, PCNA knows where to direct the dealer to look in order to deny coverage.

When I bought mine I had a local dealer ready to CPO it (this was a private sale)... at the last minute, after making arrangements for inspections the bastards wanted $3k on top of $1500 CPO fee (plus $250 to do the cpo inspection). I had them do the inspection and decided to go aftermarket. While you may have other issues with aftermarket, the coverage CAN be much better. READ and UNDERSTAND the POLICY (not the description of coverage)

Good Luck

A

Old 02-16-2008, 10:27 AM
clt8981 is infamous around these parts
I'd really like to hear an instance where PCNA really stepped up for the owner, engine replacement, tranny, etc. Everything I have read so far has been below the $1000.00 repair mark. In my mind if you own a 996 turbo or other fine auto, this should not be out of your comfort zone for a repair bill on a 4 to 7 year old car. Anyone out there?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM
NYSpeedRacer84 is infamous around these parts
I had my motor completely replaced after blowing it by Porsche with no questions ask and this was immediately after the aKa Rally....

Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
NYSpeedRacer84 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ezmoney888
I just wanted to say that I am extremely pleased with my Total Shield Warranty. I have the highest level plan and it covers almost everything. In fact it lists what it doesn't cover but everything else is covered.

Last friday, cruising down the 10 in Santa Monica I had coolant spraying out of my right front end and thought it must have been a hose. I figured it had to be under warranty and had it towed to BH Porsche. My service advisor, Erik Patino called me on Monday to tell me I must have hit something that blew a hole in my radiator and it wasn't going to be covered under warranty but he will try to get it approved anyway. I was even told that in most cases a blown hose would not have been covered. So, imagine how happy I was to get a call yesterday from Erik who told me that my new radiator was going to be covered and that I was only going to have to pay my $100 deductible and the difference in labor rates. Total out of pocket was $300.

Just goes to show you that not all extended warranties are bad and also it pays to have a good service guy who knows what to tell the warranty claims department in order to get an approval.

BTW, I also found out I don't have to take my car to the dealer in order to get repairs. I was told that I can even bring my car to independents like LUCENT and the warranty company will work with them to cover my repairs.
Got a link to your Total Shield Warranty, I'm thinking about it for my other car.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I found my contract, but nowhere on the paperwork does it mention a website. I can tell you I have the Total Shield Supreme which covers everything BUT the following:

Glass, lenses, sealed beams and light bulbs
Brake rotors, pads
Exhaust system
Spark plugs
battery, shocks and clutch
safety restraining sytems
wipers, hoses, belts
bumper or wheel damage
trim, moldings carpet.

If you pm me your email, I can send you a scan of of the contract I have and what it covers. I don't know how to upload the picture on this reply.

Anyway, the reason why I bought it was because I had the chance to talk to the west coast director of the company and he was an extremely nice man who explained all the details of the contract to me thoroughly. He also mentioned that even if your car is out of factory warranty period, you can still purchase this warranty even though a lot of other companies require you buy it while the car is still under factory warranty. I think that would benefit most who are currently in the market for out of warranty turbos.

If you want to talk to him his number is 562.458.8197 and his name is Brian. He is not a salesman so he will refer you to a participating dealer. I happened to buy mine from Downtown L.A. Audi. I purchased the warranty when my car had 30k miles on it and it is covered until 85,000 miles or 2010 whichever comes first. I paid $2700 for it and it is transferrable to a new owner or I can get reimbursed for the remaining amount if the new buyer doesnt want it. It already covered about $2500 in repairs for me in the past 2 years so I am happy.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 PM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NoRoom4Error
If someone is considering buying an 01 turbo with less than 10k miles from a small used car dealership can that someone drive the vehicle over to a porsche dealership to get it CPO'd? How does that work?
I would have the small car dealer take the car to the Porsche dealer for a Pre-Purchase Inspection; then if you buy it get an aftermarket warranty. The Porsche version of CPO is not worth the cost of buying the car from a Porsche Dealer. I have CPO on my BMW and when compared to the Porsche version it is much better. I did the CPO coverage comparison when I was shopping for the X50 and went aftermarket.