996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pentosin Smoking up the car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Pentosin Smoking up the car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTfG5oMWVI

We've had discussions about how flamable Pentosin can be... Check this smoke out when I come into the pits... This is after about 12 hard laps on track... We got lucky, really lucky!

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Glad it worked out without major problems. I discovered mine from the green streak on the ground in the pits.

jon

Old 09-11-2008, 06:43 AM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
Wow, I would have been scared ****less... as soon as pentosin touches the exhaust/headers... POOF! up in flames.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I think it was about lap 11 I checked my mirror coming out of T17A, as I wasn't sure the cup car I was playing with had caught up to me or not, and that was when I saw the smoke... I'd missed the pit entry... So I figured I'd continue going around with the hopes that the aero/wind would keep any flames blown out... So I came into the hot pits and that's when the pit marshall stops me, and I'm in a panic because I don't know if its oil, or what... Back bumper and rear decklid were covered in the stuff...

Should have the car back together as soon as my shipment from Suncoast gets here. Going to go ahead and swap out thewater lines that sit below the accumulator, since I'm pretty sure they got way to much pentosin on them, and they're "sticky" to the touch...

Had the car up on my lift with the waterhose under the car just flushing everything off two nights ago, and I'm pretty sure the only areas affected are contained to that area around the slave and driver's side CV axle area, more specifically that pair of water lines...

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
mike, were there any warning signs? other than the obvious (smoke). was the car reacting different? What failed?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I had been having an intermittant stiff clutch pedal... Once in a while it would be a little harder, then it would be normal... Then it would act up again...This occured over the span of three different weekends, and myself and an indy both inspected it... What was happening was the Accumulator was unthreading itself from the slave cylinder... This time though, the thing got unthreaded past the rubber seal, and started spraying pentosin all over the underside of the car...

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
wow, sounds like luck was on your side! this is the first I have heard of this happening. thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Actually, Jon above (fastfwd) had the same thing happen to him... The real issue is being able to get enough torque on the accumulator to torque it down to spec. Porsche has what can only be described as a modified strap wrench (according to Kenny at Flying Lizard) that they really get around the sucker to wrench down on... The other thing is, to really give the access needed to torque it down, you might need to remove the axle on that side.

I have an older chain style metal filter wrench I was able to get on it and really snug it down very tight... 210# of my weight tugging on it to get it to torque down, then using a 27MM wrench on a cheater bar to "check" it with... It's on there!

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Would a TIP car have the same problem? I just got done fixing the PS and ended up changing pretty much everything including the rack, pump, reservoir and part of the high pressure line.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Jeeeez, that was lucky Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 03:42 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Is there an alternate non-flammable fluid that could be safely used?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I know nothing about the Tiptronics. Maybe someone else can chime in...

Larry, the only alternative is to swap to the GT2 slave/master/lines/hardware/bracket... It's about $1000 from the fendors and swaps the system over to a "non-assist" manual pedal feel and employs brake fluid, like most other car markers do...

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Mike,

I ground down a cheap(er) wrench to crank mine down. Not much room to swing anything in there. I tried straps and chains.

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2008, 03:44 AM
Yup, same thing I did...

Mike

Old 11-15-2008, 04:41 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I had been having an intermittant stiff clutch pedal... Once in a while it would be a little harder, then it would be normal... Then it would act up again...This occured over the span of three different weekends, and myself and an indy both inspected it... What was happening was the Accumulator was unthreading itself from the slave cylinder... This time though, the thing got unthreaded past the rubber seal, and started spraying pentosin all over the underside of the car...

Mike
I started getting intermittant stiff clutch pedal today at the track, filled the rear to the top at hot level but still hard, I have a hard 12 lap race sunday, am I in any danger of all that you mention??? I do see some leak in the front cap also but have seen it for a long time and the pedal feel was fine.... What do I do provided I have that race coming up and it is very important????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pentosin Smoking up the car...