996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Please Help: another PSM/ABS failure thread... (yes, I used search already)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Many threads on "home made" boost leak testers. This is one. Pay attention to posts 10-11.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ig-w-pics.html

Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
pwarnery is infamous around these parts
Thanks. TTBOOST

Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM
pwarnery is infamous around these parts
Ok. I have a black hose with a green o-ring inside sticking out by the vented IC exhaust. Thank you all for the step by step tutorial.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by REELDEEP
Well...after 4 months of trouble shooting I fixed mine. I first started with the trouble codes. It indicated right front sensor not reading. I cleaned and switched speed sensors form L-R on the front. Did not help. (there is a way to test the wheel signal....with the sensor off, put an om meter where the sensor goes and spin the rotor, you should get a pulse).
I read a post on this web site that said WIRES BREAK INSIDE THE HARNESS. Sure enough....after carfully splicing the harness open...alll the way up into the firewall...i found broken wires. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
Does anybody have more pics/details or part numbers for the harness that has cracked wires? Every once in a long while, I get this ABS/PSM light on still. Usually slow speed, creeping around a parking lot... It doesn't seem to hurt anything and if I turn off/on the car, it disappears and I can't replicate it. I wonder if I have a slightly damaged wire in the harness? I'd like to fix this once and for all as I may be selling the car and want to make sure any known issue has been addressed.

Thanks in advance, 6speed!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
I am very happy to report that I finally ordered the part from Sunset. None of the dealers seemed to know what the part was or if it was the correct one and even the members on Rennlist weren't sure if it was the right one or not. Kind of surprised since it seems to be a VERY COMMON failure so the part should have been all over the place. Either way, the part number for the harness that goes from the wheel speed sensor up into the battery box is:

996-612-958-00

This is called a 'repair kit' for the right front speed sensor. It comes with the bottom plug that the speed sensor and the brake wear sensor plug in, then the wiring with all the donut mounts and waterproof cover and then the end is open with the 5 wires hanging all at different lengths so that when you attach it to the other harness, it isn't a huge BALL of crimps. It came with plug ends to attach to it, but I am going to use waterproof, heat shrink butt connectors to attach mine. I hope this will repair the ABS/PASM error I keep getting!!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I am very happy to report that I finally ordered the part from Sunset. None of the dealers seemed to know what the part was or if it was the correct one and even the members on Rennlist weren't sure if it was the right one or not. Kind of surprised since it seems to be a VERY COMMON failure so the part should have been all over the place. Either way, the part number for the harness that goes from the wheel speed sensor up into the battery box is:

996-612-958-00

This is called a 'repair kit' for the right front speed sensor. It comes with the bottom plug that the speed sensor and the brake wear sensor plug in, then the wiring with all the donut mounts and waterproof cover and then the end is open with the 5 wires hanging all at different lengths so that when you attach it to the other harness, it isn't a huge BALL of crimps. It came with plug ends to attach to it, but I am going to use waterproof, heat shrink butt connectors to attach mine. I hope this will repair the ABS/PASM error I keep getting!!
NICE WORK! Have you installed this yet? If not, can you take a couple of pictures that show where this is and how to access/change? I agree that this seems to be one of those annoying issues that plagues many vehicles intermittently. I've thrown a new alternator at this and had other inspections done to try and figure this out so hopefully it's as simple as this in our cases! Looking forward to more information!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
I actually got it in the mail, made the post, then installed it since the car has been waiting for it the the front wheelwell and battery box disassembled. I'll take a picture of the part i cut out when i get back out there tonight as it'll just be a dirty version of what I put in there!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I subscribe to this thread. Really interesting solution here. Thanks for posting D_Nyholm !

Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Here is a picture of basically what they give you. The one they give is about 2 feet longer than the one i replaced so you can have plenty of slack. Don't mind my hack job of my previous repair attempt!!

Lets see if I can get these uploaded here first, if not, i'll throw them on imageshack, but bear with me as i do it.

Attached Images   
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Thank you all for sharing!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Ok, so I ordered the harness and apparently my car has 6 wires and not 5. Mine is an '01 but it was built in 7/2000... It looks like they may have changed this for the '02 cars and possibly mid year for the '01's...

D_Nyholm, what is the production date on your car? Did everything plug in correctly? My tech told me that once he took everything apart, he noticed the different wire count, looked up online and then found 2 part numbers. The one you listed was for '02+ cars... He is going to order me the other one and see if it comes with 6 wires...

He did say all visible wires looked fine but you never know until you crack them open or test them individually to see so I'm going to go ahead and replace regardless.

Any feedback is appreciated. Hopefully this will help somebody in the future as well.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Kato,
I'm not certain where I see the production date of the car. It is a 'newer' 01 without the bumperettes and stuff. I looked in the trunk lid, engine compartment, gas lid, door jambs, etc.. and couldn't finnd it.

I did notice that the wires all looked good when i pulled them apart, but there must have been a break somewhere that I wasn't able to see. I'm just happy that my ABS/PSM light no longer comes on!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Kato,
I'm not certain where I see the production date of the car. It is a 'newer' 01 without the bumperettes and stuff. I looked in the trunk lid, engine compartment, gas lid, door jambs, etc.. and couldn't finnd it.

I did notice that the wires all looked good when i pulled them apart, but there must have been a break somewhere that I wasn't able to see. I'm just happy that my ABS/PSM light no longer comes on!!!
You probably have a later car... Mine had "warts" originally... Production date should be on driver's door jamb...

I agree, likely a small break internally! I'll post up if the other harness works for my car. I have a feeling they are different depending on production date!

Thanks for your input and research so far! It will likely save me and many others big headache in the future. This is the beauty of online forums!

Old 11-03-2020, 01:33 PM
DJbrand1 is infamous around these parts
Bringing this back from the dead. @Kato Did you have the other part number handy or pictures of where the splicing happens to confirm the wire count? I have an 01 that started giving me ABS/PSM failure errors and it seems to be related to when the right front wheel is loaded up or unloaded in spirited/track driving. I saw part number 996-612-958-00.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by DJbrand1
Bringing this back from the dead. @Kato Did you have the other part number handy or pictures of where the splicing happens to confirm the wire count? I have an 01 that started giving me ABS/PSM failure errors and it seems to be related to when the right front wheel is loaded up or unloaded in spirited/track driving. I saw part number 996-612-958-00.
Nothing more than what is here, sorry. My car is long gone. I believe that harness solved the problem so give it a try! Good luck!