996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

959 S at RSS/Stuttgart Performance - Porsche DNA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
959 S at RSS/Stuttgart Performance - Porsche DNA

Hope all is well with everyone, realize that this is the modern day forum section but just wanted to post up and share some of the DNA to our modern turbo Pcars.

RSS & Stuttgart Performance was recently contacted to be a part of a very special event coming up next week that you will all eventually see.

Our rare 959 S was requested to be featured.
Just pulled it out of our showroom and figured I'd take a few images to share before it goes into the trailer.
Here is a little background on our baby:

1988 Porsche 959 S U.S. Sport Model

• Only 229 total production models in 1988
• Only 29 U.S. Sport Models were made for the U.S.
• Our car was the first 959 legally imported into the U.S.
• The engine was rated at 450 HP @ 6500 RPM w/ 370 lb.ft. of torque @ 5,500 RPM
• The engine was recently modified by Bruce Canepa Design in Santa Cruz, CA
• The stock KKK turbo chargers were replaced with larger Garrett ball bearing turbo chargers
• The computer was remapped and the engine now produces 600+ HP
• It also meets all EPA & DOT standards which makes it street legal in all states
• Top Speed 220+ MPH

Enjoy...

Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Over the years, our 959 S has been featured in many books and publications.
We are very proud to own a piece of Porsche history.

All 29 cars were meant for the U.S. but were returned back to Germany because they didn't meet with DOT approval.

Our car never left the U.S., it originally was placed at an automotive museum not to be driven on U.S. roads.

Here are a few images of the official Porsche Certificate, the car arriving at LAX off Lufthansa Airlines and the car running at Laguna Seca.

More to come...

Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Beautiful car - I would be proud to own one too!

Just a spectacular example and one that will continue to appreciate - you're supremely fortunate to have one!

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
What a rare treat to see a car like that. Awesome!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Thanks for sharing one of my all time favorite cars

I remember a long time ago (Hard to believe it was over 20yrs ago) when the 959's were brought over here seeing one entered into a race (GT or World Challenge I think)at Road Atlanta in Georgia. The owner was no big name racer but had a ton of coin, and his stint in this particular grey or brown 959 was very short. I think he only made it 10-20 laps before crashing it....everyone was gasping at what that crash cost....and I was amazed that the very first 959 I ever saw this close was smashed....what a pity

I thought that there were several 959's examples still over here in the states...never to be tagged for street driving.

Last edited by YoopsRacing; 06-19-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
Thanks for sharing one of my all time favorite cars

... I thought that there were several 959's examples still over here in the states...never to be tagged for street driving.
Hi YoopsRacing,

Thanks for the comments, my pleasure to share.

This is the only 959 S that legally stayed in the U.S. originally.
I believe some came back over after being sent back to Germany and others converted/modified to be U.S. legal, but to our knowledge this is the only original from the group of 29.
We have over 6 folders full of documentation and images regarding this particular vehicle and all of the correspondence allowing it to stay in the U.S.
More to share soon...

Last edited by Sales@RSS; 06-19-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
May I take it out for a spin... Pretty please. I promise to have it back before dark.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by viprklr
May I take it out for a spin... Pretty please. I promise to have it back before dark.
Sure, you can take it for the weekend...

All kidding aside, anyone in the Southern California area is free to come by and experience our 959 S in person – It's always here.
It will only be away for a few days for the event next week.
Feel free to contact us anytime or just come on by...

Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Didn't Bill Gates have a few of these stuck in customs for almost a decade? I thought his plan was to crash test one of them so he could legally drive the other one. This could just be automotive urban legend.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
Didn't Bill Gates have a few of these stuck in customs for almost a decade? I thought his plan was to crash test one of them so he could legally drive the other one. This could just be automotive urban legend.
Yes, Bill Gates did have a few stuck in customs for a long time.
Bill Gates and friends were instrumental in pushing through the legislation to federalize these cars for the U.S.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
That's a spectacular car, really amazing piece of history.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
I remember reading somewhere that Porsche said they lost money on every one of these cars that they sold.

I also think you can have such a car under a particular permit that limits to show cars and the like. I think you are allowed a limited amount of miles that you can drive it "to and from" exhibitions or the like.

I also remember seeing one stranded at Andial just up the road from you guys for a long time while a technician who CAME OVER FROM GERMANY(!) tried to disentangle some computer related issues...........

Great car, lots of DNA that came out in the 993/996 Turbos.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
I remember reading that Porsche lost money on every 959 they sold, or so they said. I think that there is a permit available now from the Feds that allows you to import certain limited production cars for exhibit and show purposes? I think there are only a certain number of miles that you are allowed to put on the car on public roads, supposedly to drive to and from exhibits and such.

I also remember seeing one at Andial a few clicks up the road from your shop a few years back. It was in there for quite a while. It took a technician from Germany to rescue it as I recall. There were computer issues that had to be resolved.

Lots of DNA in the 959 showed up in the 993/996 TT's..........

Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Next time I bring my car for service, you should let me use that as a loaner car.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
most manufactures lose money on their top and most exclusive models, simply because they're made and purchased in such a small quantity. all the money invested in R&D cannot be reclaimed when you produce and sell less than a thousand units.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 959 S at RSS/Stuttgart Performance - Porsche DNA