996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Success! (DIY Black Exhaust Tip Mod w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Success! (DIY Black Exhaust Tip Mod w/Pics)

Hey guys, just wanted to share my recent experience trying to paint my exhaust tips black. I know ceramic coating is preferred, but I thought I'd experiment a bit, and if I screwed up my I'd just bite the bullet and send 'em off for professional treatment.

Step 1: sand chrome tips thoroughly to rough up the surface in order to promote adhesion. I did not even remotely attempt to remove all the chrome (that would have taken forever). Instead, I just wanted to scuff them up and take off the shine. I used a cheapy walmart palm sander with some course grit sand paper.

Step 2: Paint with hi-temp, semi-gloss bar-b-que paint rated for 1200 degrees.

Step 3: Sand off/remove hi-temp, semi-gloss bar-b-que paint rated for 1200 degrees after it starts to peel and and flake off within 20 minutes of the first extended drive.

Step 4: Re-paint with Rustoleum "High Heat" paint rated for 2,000 degrees (available at Autozone...see pic below, it has a picture of an engine on the can). Apply 2-3 coats, waiting about 1 hour between coats.

Step 5: Wait at least 1 hour after final coat, then evacuate family from the home to avoid poisoning loved ones with noxious fumes as you bake the newly painted exhaust tips in the kitchen oven according to the instructions on the paint can (bake at 250 F for 30 minutes then allow to cool, bake at 400F for 30 minutes then allow to cool, bake at 600 F then allow to cool). Note: my oven would only go up to 550 F, so I settled with one last 30 minute bake at 550 F).

Step 6: Install tips on the car and go for a spirited 10-15 minute drive, then let the tips cool completely.

Step 7: Enjoy your new, flat black Exhaust tips.

Its been 2 months and about 1,000 miles, and the tips look just as good today as the day I painted them. I could not be happier with the way the look and how they have held up. Moreover, the painting part was easy as this paint goes on very well and even with good coverage.

Just thought I'd share just in case anyone else was thinking about trying to paint their own tips.

Attached Images     
Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
ok i feel like a tool for paying 200 dollars for getting mine ceramic coated. thanks for sharing scott --- they look great

Old 04-16-2010, 04:50 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Very cool. Not sure I have it in me to do, but very cool

Old 04-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job w/ the write up and pics. If you have a nice gas grill or a Bar-B-Q smoker you can get to 600F and bake the tips in there. Heck you can do all of the steps in there and save your house and family from the fumes.
Do not use primer on the tips! All high heat paint needs to bond directly to the metal. Primer will not allow this and at that heat will cause premature peeling.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 AM
chopperman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Nice job w/ the write up and pics. If you have a nice gas grill or a Bar-B-Q smoker you can get to 600F and bake the tips in there. Heck you can do all of the steps in there and save your house and family from the fumes.
Do not use primer on the tips! All high heat paint needs to bond directly to the metal. Primer will not allow this and at that heat will cause premature peeling.
And cook a NY Strip at the same time.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chopperman
And cook a NY Strip at the same time.

I'll pass, a Chemical Dry Rub isn't to my taste.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dfwerdoc
ok i feel like a tool for paying 200 dollars for getting mine ceramic coated. thanks for sharing scott --- they look great
I think I paid $150, but I agree. Looks great.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
looks sweet

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys. No need to feel like a tool...I fully expected to have to send them in after experimenting, but so far this solution has held up fantastic. I absolutely love the look...now if I can just figure out a way to get rid of my chrome lips without breaking the bank!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
cool stuff

Old 04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Looks great!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks Tony!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Looks awesome!!! Now I just have to find an hour and a half that the wife isn't home so I can use the oven...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Looks awesome!!! Now I just have to find an hour and a half that the wife isn't home so I can use the oven...
No doubt! She was home at the time, and was drawn to the oven after smelling the foul odor (its seriously offensive...a very chemical-like smell). She was not happy (but I was!).

Old 08-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Thanks for the DIY

I followed your instructions for painting exhaust tips this weekend and am very happy with the results, although I was a little reluctant to sand down my new Schnell stainless steel tips. The only downside is that it was rainy all weekend so when I finished I didn't want to pull the car out of the garage to take some pics! Thanks again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Success! (DIY Black Exhaust Tip Mod w/Pics)