996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My 2003 X50 Arrives in less than a Half Hour!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:25 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
welcome to the Porsche owners group

Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
congrats, car looks great!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 PM
THE BUTCHER is infamous around these parts
very very nice.
followed a silver 996TT for a while on the motor way (NZ)
such a presence amongst NORMAL cars
had a chance of a two day testing of a 996TT X50,
mountain roads, open straights , fantastic
enjoy

Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Technipolish is a polish look that is applied I believe on an a polish only basis over uncoated 6061 Alum. Yours is Race Satin Anodized centers which means a clear anodizing layer has been applied on the forged center sections - this is a good thing it makes the ceters easier to clean, a polished only mesh cetner is tough because of all the small grooves...

your rim halves are probably standard polished aluminum unless otherwise mentioned. When I was racing competatively, I was really into tracking and knowing a lot about wheels especially makers like CCW, Fikse, Forgeline, Kenises, BBS Magnesium, etc...etc...

Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Wolk's Wagon is infamous around these partsWolk's Wagon is infamous around these parts
Looks good with those wheels!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Just remember to not exceed 20 mph over speedlimit or 80 mph in a 65 zone. VA cops like giving reckless driving tickets which is a FELONY. I can afford the car but don't want to accidently lose my DoD clearance. With that said... cheers! She is a beauty.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Edit: Okay, from my research on here, I guess this is most likely a failure of the sender unit or the sensor. Whew... Christ that's scary. I really hope that's what it is. I'll update you all when I know.

*sigh*

I'm very disappointed right now. I have a potentially serious issue. My oil pressure readings are not right. I'm either having a problem with the sensor/sender-unit (hopefully) and or real oil pressure issues.

From the get-go, I noticed my oil pressure needle fluctuating up-and-down, and the readings seemed low. I'm used to Porsches... I've driven my Dad's 996 Carrera, Boxster S, and 997 Carrera S. I'd never seen the oil pressure needle bounce like this on any of those cars. I also seem to remember much higher readings than the (scarily) low readings that I'm seeing.

At a 3k RPM cruise, I'm seeing like 1.5 bar, and it likes to randomly jump up higher than that for a bit. At WOT, it's steady at about 3 bar, and that's the highest I ever see it. When warmed up and idling, the pressure will be bouncing under 1 bar at idle, often hitting ZERO. Oil pressure at idle is just ridiculously low. It's so scary seeing that needle drop to zero. I actually got a warning on the gauge cluster about it earlier, as well. It showed an oil can and some message that I can't remember now... maybe indicator failure or something.

Anyhow, I guess I'm calling up my local Porsche service department tomorrow. At least this sucker has 5-6 months left on the aftermarket (and quite good) warranty. I'm really, really hoping that it's just a sensor fault of some sort, because I would hate to think of the oil pressure actually dropping this low.

I'm not hopeful in the least bit, however, and I'm just about positive that this is a true and serious problem. There was a rather ominous issue with this car that I haven't mentioned to you all yet. I had a PPI done on it in Washington State at Barrier Porsche, and the only real problem that they found was a small oil leak from the cam seals, which I'm guessing had become brittle from lack of driving. The warranty covered the repair, which included removing the engine from the car (as I'm sure most of you are aware). Upon removal of the camshaft bearing housing, the techs found score markings on the camshaft bearing, leading them to replace one of the camshafts and the bearing housing with new parts.

With 20/20 hindsight, it's almost a 100% sure thing that the score mark was a bearing failure as a result of low oil pressure. I kept the parts (old camshaft and bearing housing) as evidence, so there should be no issues getting this all fixed. Hell, maybe I'll get a whole new motor out of the deal. If the oil pressure is actually this low, then I really think I should. All I know is that I better not be paying for any of it.

I'll take pics of the [possible] bearing failure for you all tomorrow.

Edit: Okay, from my research on here, I guess this is most likely a failure of the sender unit or the sensor. Whew... Christ that's scary. I really hope that's what it is. I'll update you all when I know.

Last edited by NineElevenLover; 04-15-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Eeek. That is crazy scary. Wish you all the best, but luckily there's some sort of warranty going on at least.

If you see a white turbo out on the toll road be sure to wave! Congrats on your new ride!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NoRoom4Error
Just remember to not exceed 20 mph over speedlimit or 80 mph in a 65 zone. VA cops like giving reckless driving tickets which is a FELONY. I can afford the car but don't want to accidently lose my DoD clearance. With that said... cheers! She is a beauty.
No kidding man...
All dressed up and no where to go except jail: 1 day for each mph over 90 and +30 additional for breaking 100mph. That might just be Fairfax, however.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 PM
o.b.1 is infamous around these parts
Oooh....best of luck!! Maybe just a sensor and your back on the road soon

Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 PM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
congrats, nice looking car and I really like the wheels

Old 04-15-2011, 07:16 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i had the EXACT same problem the first day i picked up my car. it was the sensor.
all systems go.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 AM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
i had the EXACT same problem the first day i picked up my car. it was the sensor.
all systems go.
I sure hope I'm as lucky as you were.

In addition to the oil pressure readings, I'm also having issues starting the car. This brand new battery is now having trouble starting the car again, so I either have a bad alternator or a loose connection from the battery to the starter motor. *sigh*

8:30 appointment on Monday with the dealership to get this straightened out.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 AM
slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !
congrats! love those fikses!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
bella1 is infamous around these parts
Love the Color

Originally Posted by NineElevenLover
I'm so pysched... the truck is delivering it to my work in 23 minutes. I will be sure to post some pics after some spirited driving.

Details: 2003 911tt with 25k miles, X50 package, PCCBs, Bilstein PSS9s, short shifter, Fikse Profil 10 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.

Ugh, I can't wait!!!
Beautiful car! And love that Midnight Blue. Mine is called Blueberry although my wife thinks that is a bit......you know!

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2003 X50 Arrives in less than a Half Hour!