996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If you can:

Remove windshield
Remove back window
Cut welds
Apply adhesive

then this may be a DIY for you, otherwise, leave it to the pros IMO.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I agree, I'm constantly harping on weight.

I spoke to Tom on the phone and he told me that they weighed a 997 roof panel, pretty much the same as ours and just the sunroofless panel in itself that a guy ordered for his car weighed ~ 40 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So MAKE SURE you demand to know the exact weights before you buy anything if weight loss is your goal.
ok ACTUAL WEIGHTS OF ROOF STUFF CONFIRMED BY ME.

entire roof with sunroof and interior crap is 47 pounds.

the factory metal replacement skin weights 17 pounds.

the GettyDesign CF skin weighs 8 pounds.

this ends the speculation, sorry for any previous inaccurate "guesses" as this is not what this thread is about.

the above are the correct numbers, make decisions accordingly

I have taken 47 pounds off the top dead center of my car and replaced it with 8 pounds so thats the bottom line.

tom

Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
So is it correct to extrapolate that the sun roof assembly weighs 30# and for those with a sun roof delete car the net savings for a CF roof would be 9#?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Tom -

So with a factory no sunroof car we're only looking at a 9lbs savings then. Thanks for taking the time to get accurate weights, saved me some trouble.

-Wes

Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You guys are forgetting one thing, the interior portion of the roof is included in Toms weight vs just the roof panel, that has to be a few lbs, and also the sunroof top panel is lighter than the non roof area by virtue of surface area. Probably around 15 lbs or so total weight loss if you converted and didn't put back the interior portion. The sunroof itself is in reality about 25 lbs. Probably still not worth it, but still a little different.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
yes the numbers above are accurate and bottom line for sunroof guys (who are hard core) is going to CF roof you save 40 pounds from the top of the car.
for me it was a no brainer.

pics will but up soon.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Thank you...it's great to have some solid numbers on this (sunroof delete).

Does anyone know what the "GT2" roofskin costs from Porsche? I've seen the Getty prices and know they come in a variety of construction types. I just wish Getty did a better job at listing the weights for the various parts since they tend to offer a few material options.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
You wont find anything from Porsche that is in the price range of the Getty Products, especially with exchange rates etc etc. Not even close.

If you need weights, call them and ask, they know their stuff. I just called them to find that their FRP products are almost as light as the CF ones. The FRP roof is only 10 lbs compared to 8 and the hood is something like 15 lbs to 12 for CF. Both $200 cheaper. He told me they've been making race car parts for so long they know how to make them very lite compared to other fiberglass manufacturers.

I'll be adding all of these parts to the list, everyone give Tom some rep for being the guinea pig on this, we've been talking about this for over a year now and finally got some answers, now it seems the floodgates are opening because he said they've taken lots of orders for this stuff recently.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You wont find anything from Porsche that is in the price range of the Getty Products, especially with exchange rates etc etc. Not even close.

If you need weights, call them and ask, they know their stuff. I just called them to find that their FRP products are almost as light as the CF ones. The FRP roof is only 10 lbs compared to 8 and the hood is something like 15 lbs to 12 for CF. Both $200 cheaper. He told me they've been making race car parts for so long they know how to make them very lite compared to other fiberglass manufacturers.

I'll be adding all of these parts to the list, everyone give Tom some rep for being the guinea pig on this, we've been talking about this for over a year now and finally got some answers, now it seems the floodgates are opening because he said they've taken lots of orders for this stuff recently.

thanks, the inside of my car and cage is being painted tomorrow.

I did send the Getty roof off to have an additional coat of clear put on it and the inside painted black (I am picky) should have it monday and I will take some pics of it before, during, and after it is installed.

I have lived through this call or pm me with any questions.

tom

Old 04-11-2009, 03:42 PM
ok the door without the liner (another few pounds) weights 58 pounds

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Updated with some of the getty product weights and moving Tom to the top of the list which I'm sure he'll still be there after putting the rest of the car back together. I took frankenporsche off by virtue of never confirming anything and no mod list or proof of any sort. I don't even know if we ever got a picture of his car. If I'm mistaken someone let me know.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I'm waiting for our rig to get back with the scales, but in our new RWD format I'm willing to bed we're going to be in second at 30XX with a car that is still very much streetable if my calculations are right.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 PM
currently the car in the below pic weighs 2618!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CF roof hood doors to go on and one recaro race seat, dash and fire suppression.

I am HOPING less than 2800 pounds when done?

BTW what list?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Glass sits pretty high up...

Cool project. I love it!

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 04-20-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:42 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
My car weight in at 3350 with 1/2 tank of gas/spare/tools/ only light weight mods i have at the time were straight pipes/no rear bumper support. Now that i have my gt3 seats no rear seats, i'll go back to reweigh the car. I suspect 3250 *crossing fingers*

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List