996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

X73 Porsche Factory Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 PM
YNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura about
X73 Porsche Factory Suspension

I was ready to get the Bilstein PSS9 coil over when I called a local shop with solid reputation and they said a much better choice was the factory X73 suspension for the 996tt.

I've never heard of it, but they say it's the hot set up and not available here in the US. Factory designed as a matched set and worlds better then the Bilstein coil overs.

Anyone here have knowledge and experience with the Porsche X73 suspension? How does it compare with Bilstein and other options to get my P car down where it belongs?

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:38 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
X73 is a great replacement suspension (20 MM lower)
There is no adjustments but the spring rates and strut setup work very well
We have done many of these with 100% satisfaction rate

Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I have the X73, it is about an inch or so lower, definitely firmer than stock and balanced very very well. Porsche did their homework. This also includes the stiffer motor mounts as well. I was thinking I would need sway bars, but I am very happy with the current setup.

I have heard that most alignment computers have the X73 setup specs, RUF installed/aligned mine, no idea how they did it but its damn near perfect.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:53 PM
digitekkz is infamous around these parts
how much is this setup? Also what about to the cost of installation?

Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
FWIW

I was one of the "early adapters" of the X73 suspension. I purchased it 3 years ago from Carnewal. It didn't take more than 100 miles on the poor streets and roads in my area to determine it was just too stiff for me. I caught myself flinching at telephone pole shadows cast on the street, bracing for the next impact. It felt like I was running 60 psi in my tires on a cold day.

Is it a good product. You bet!

Is it the right solution for everyone. No.

I switched to PSS9's have been a very satisfied owner ever since.

Cheers,

Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 PM
ringmaster is infamous around these parts
Could someone please post more info on the X73? Is it simply springs and dampers? Anyone have the part # for these X73 motor mounts?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ringmaster
Could someone please post more info on the X73? Is it simply springs and dampers? Anyone have the part # for these X73 motor mounts?
X73 is the whole strut, spring and upper strut mount assembly
The motor mounts are part of the X73 package

Old 03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by deepblue
I have the X73, it is about an inch or so lower, definitely firmer than stock and balanced very very well. Porsche did their homework. This also includes the stiffer motor mounts as well. I was thinking I would need sway bars, but I am very happy with the current setup.

I have heard that most alignment computers have the X73 setup specs, RUF installed/aligned mine, no idea how they did it but its damn near perfect.
Yes you are correct the Hunter aligner has the X73 specs...
Install an adj rear sway bar on your car to dial out some understeer, it will make a world of difference

Old 03-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
I don't understand why anyone would buy X73 over Cross or PSS9's..they aren't adjustable. I've played with the ride height on my car, and may change it again...cant do that with X73.

I went to Cross coilovers with no regret.

Bill

Old 03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Dietz is infamous around these parts
That's the point - it's tuned already - no maint. or mis-adjustability.

Most people just twiddle the **** till it feels "comfortable" - but do you really know what rebound and compression settings do??? How 'bout on the track?

I had a track buddy go from sport suspension to motons and he *GOT SLOWER BY 2 SEC." Why? because they weren't dialed in, and he had no experience on what to change and why. After one season, he couldn't make back the time, and sold the $12000 upgrades at a substaintial loss.

How much time you really gonna pick up with coilovers?

And for those of you you doing this for the "street" car, may I ask - what the heck are you doing this for? Stock is fine - X73 is sporty, tuned, and all any amatuer will need.

Tune the driver rather than the car. YMMV

Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 PM
ringmaster is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dietz

Most people just twiddle the **** till it feels "comfortable" - but do you really know what rebound and compression settings do??? How 'bout on the track?

I had a track buddy go from sport suspension to motons and he *GOT SLOWER BY 2 SEC." Why? because they weren't dialed in, and he had no experience on what to change and why. After one season, he couldn't make back the time, and sold the $12000 upgrades at a substaintial loss.

And for those of you you doing this for the "street" car, may I ask - what the heck are you doing this for? Stock is fine - X73 is sporty, tuned, and all any amatuer will need.

You are a wise man with excellent advice. If only more people would follow this advice when changing parts on their cars.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
Missing the point...it's the availability to adjust that's important....I've never "twiddled" the **** on mine....told Neil @ Orton how I wanted it set and it's done. But I drive mine on street only, and run a higher ride height due to my driveway...other guys here locally like it slammed and stiffer for the track. With adjustability you can have it however you like with no need to readjust.

Glad you enjoy your X 73.

Bill

Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bill in Atlanta
Missing the point...it's the availability to adjust that's important....I've never "twiddled" the **** on mine....told Neil @ Orton how I wanted it set and it's done. But I drive mine on street only, and run a higher ride height due to my driveway...other guys here locally like it slammed and stiffer for the track. With adjustability you can have it however you like with no need to readjust.

Glad you enjoy your X 73.

Bill
Not missing the point at all - The adjustment can go either way - if you adjust ride height - you diminish the stroke extension or compression - many with PSS9's have found that the "mis-adjusted" the ride height and were bouncing off the bump stops!

Fine that your shop tuned the shocks. You set them there and leave them! So what have you gained over the X73's? They are lowered, and tuned and set (by Porsche may I add)

Just because you *have* adjustability, does not mean you'll use it (or need it)

Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Like I said, glad you like your X73

The point on adjustability is that I have changed them ! Like a lot of people, I "knew" exactly what I wanted in firmness and ride height. After a few miles my butt and driveway decided otherwise

Bill

!

Fine that your shop tuned the shocks. You set them there and leave them! So what have you gained over the X73's? They are lowered, and tuned and set (by Porsche may I add)

Just because you *have* adjustability, does not mean you'll use it (or need it)

Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Glad you like your JIC's

Just trying to lend some perspective - I went down the slippery slope of double adjustables with remote reservoir and valved to the springrate - and *for me* it was a waste of time and money. YMMV

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X73 Porsche Factory Suspension