996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Buying a serious track/race car vs upgrading to a TT.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Buying a serious track/race car vs upgrading to a TT.

I've made my decision, I'm curious what others think.

I was at a clients house that has raced Porsche's for 20 years. I told him I was thinking of upgrading to a TT. He had a different opinion that I now agree with.

Mark does not understand why everyone is doing all these performance upgrades(except muffler for the sound), when 99% of 993/996 owners can't handle the power, handling and braking of their car, as is, let alone a TT. He said the real excitement is in not doing upgrades that you only use in a 1/4 mile, not day to day driving, but in really racing a car. Mark said you'll have more excitement in one serious track session/race, then in a lifetime of taking your $60-150,000 car on a track where your scared of getting your car hit or scratched.

I love the look of my car. In Denver, cars have almost stopped at intersections to look, and the stairs I get are unbelievable. I don't think a TT is any better looking. Sure a TT performs better, but in day to day driving, except for a short burst of speed before you have to brake, the power is not useable.

I've decided to save some money, spend $10-15,000 on a serious track/race car and find out about the feeling that Mark says almost all Porsche owners at one time or another really want to do. Race a car.

Ken

Old 03-27-2004, 10:42 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I believe what Mark doesn't understand is that everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes. There is nothing wrong with that unless you try to impose your likes and dislikes on others or so to say look down on others. This applies to not only mods but also different makes. You have to respect and appreciate what is important to others.

I really enjoy HALO jumps. In my opinion (subjective) by comparison, it makes driving a race car feel a little passive.

Last edited by cjv; 03-27-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:47 AM
EL750 is infamous around these parts
Get a GT-2 clubsport and you'll have the best of both worlds. (except when it rains).
As far as mods go, the TT is not a drag car. But in the Autobahn you better have somthing that pulls hard above 200mph.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:49 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Elliot,

That is where the breathing, hp and your titanium rods come into play.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:09 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Good for you Ken!!

Tell Mark that it is not necessary for him to understand why people modify their cars. We do it because we want to ...

Old 03-27-2004, 11:09 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
cjv, el750

I totally agree with both of you. Everyone spends their money on what's important to them.

In regards to the TT not being a dragster. It seems most performance mods being done are always talked about in the context of a faster 1/4 mile time. Even lowering of the car is not usually talked about in terms of better handling, just a cooler looking car(realistically, that's where I'm at).

CJV is one of the few who always talks about the total package, speed and handling. It seems most are just concerned with how fast their car is in a 1/4 mile. I'm the first to always say to someone after they say how awesome my car looks and it must be fast. That there are lots of fast and faster cars. It's the overall looks and performance of a Porsche that makes it what it is.

Porsche is such a great car. I can't think of any other brand of car that is 15-20 years old that you can buy for 10-15,000 to take on a race track.

Ken

Old 03-27-2004, 11:15 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
I agree that racing is by far a lot more fun and exciting that's for sure. I race karts and it's a helluva lot more fun than driving my TT that's for sure. That's why I doubt I'll go crazy with the mods on my car ... coilovers, exhaust and ECU is probably all I'll do. Next year I'll probably look into getting a spec miata or an older Porsche to take to the track, but for now I'm having a blast racing karts. To anyone who has always wanted to race but can't or doesn't want to get into racing cars for one reason or another (funds, track availability, etc.) I seriously recommend looking into karting. Even my "beginner's" Rotax kart can hit 85 and it grips better than just about any car you'll ever drive. And let me tell you, 85 in a kart when you're an inch off the ground is quite a rush.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:20 AM
No Mercy,

Rocky Mountain PCA is having a autocross school and autocross at Bandimere next Saturday and Sunday. Have you ever done any of these. For someone who has only had their car 6 months, I really want to do something like this with my car. Who knows how long until I can find a dedicated track car.

Is anyone else from this board going. I'd love to meet some of the other 6speedonline members. I see so few Porsche's around town.

Ken

Old 03-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Ken,
I have gone through exactly what you have just decided on.. All though I was not going to move up to a TT because I love my Cab to much, I was considering the Supercharger for it. After running at Laguna Seca last year I caught the bug for being out on the track and decided that I don't want to wreck my beauty, the next best thing was to find a nice Race car to take to the track. I found a race ready 1969 911 full roll cage, fuel cell, freshly rebuilt 2.7 engine, and many extras to go along with it.
I must say it is definitely a lot of work taking care of it and hauling it to and from the track events, but its all worth it. There is not a better way to enjoy what these cars are capable of then out on the track. I have met a lot of great people in doing so, and they are all very helpful when it comes to troubleshooting problems. You made a great choice!!

Pics of my 69 RS Replica.. see link at the bottom for more pics..

Old 03-27-2004, 11:27 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Ken, I have only had my Porsche for two weeks and am still going through the break in process. Maybe in a few more weeks. I do enjoy the track though. Not much into the 1/4 mile and auto cross, I prefer the road courses.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:35 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
I have never looked twice at a carerra 2 or 4. I will follow a TT, and provoke them to race me. And yes, it does look a whole lot better. Those side scoops create a mean look.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:25 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by dgussin1
I have never looked twice at a carerra 2 or 4. I will follow a TT, and provoke them to race me. And yes, it does look a whole lot better. Those side scoops create a mean look.
So if one " provokes " and beats a stock Turbo to the next freeway offramp with a megagrenaded Suprastangevo XTI Type R -Plus IX , the Turbo owner wants to exchange pink slips on the spot , right ? For some reason, the cars that are always trying to " buzz" me around my area are Audi A4s . Everyone else leaves me alone. Someone ALWAYS has a faster car. A few years ago, some guy who looked like he had just been paroled was buzzing me on 880 south of Oakland in a rusted dented beige early 70s Chrysler sedan , smoking a cigarate , window open, long air flapping , etc. I floored my C5 Corvette and the guy stayed on my bumper the whole time . As they say a lot on the Corvette boards .. " guh-day-um ". Probably had a pretty punched up 426 or something .
Yes , the Turbo has always been the steroided looking sib of the reg 911 going back to 1975 and I agree it looks pretty cool for that reason.

Last edited by MKW; 03-27-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:29 PM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MKW
So if one " provokes " and beats a stock Turbo to the next freeway offramp with a megagrenaded Suprastangevo XTI Type R -Plus IX , the Turbo owner wants to exchange pink slips on the spot , right ? For some reason, the cars that are always trying to " buzz" me around my area are Audi A4s . Everyone else leaves me alone. Someone ALWAYS has a faster car. A few years ago, some guy who looked like he had just been paroled was buzzing me on 880 south of Oakland in a rusted dented beige early 70s Chrysler sedan , smoking a cigarate , window open, long air flapping , etc. I floored my C5 Corvette and the guy stayed on my bumper the whole time . As they say a lot on the Corvette boards .. " guh-day-um ". Probably had a pretty punched up 426 or something .
Yes , the Turbo has always been the steroided looking sib of the reg 911 going back to 1975 and I agree it looks pretty cool for that reason.
What I am saying is that a C4 doesn't deserve a second look, but a TT turns heads. Personally I think the C4 is a dog in all performance categories. I would rather have a M3 and cash in my pocket. A TT porsche is king of lots of cars.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:38 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
OSL (Scott) has a great race prepared car that a customer of his wants to sell and I think it's in your price range.. send him an email scottlwet@aol.com

Old 03-27-2004, 03:49 PM
cjv
The steal of a lifetime went by about two month ago. The car's name was Rumba. It was on the cover of Excellence about a year ago. The owner put about $160,000. into mods. It was sold for about 35K. Rebuilt from bottom up and weighed about 2000 pounds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a serious track/race car vs upgrading to a TT.