996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: What is the best option for my driving goals.
Buy Package Headers (i.e. evo etc.)
16.22%
Buy Custom Headers
5.41%
Port Stock Headers
56.76%
Leave Them Alone.
21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Headers....Again!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Headers....Again!!!!

I know this is being beat to death in some other threads but I need to know what the real deal is with the headers and maybe if some people would start stating their objectives that would help as well so that what I'm going to do.

#1 Not really interested in more power. Throttle response, Boost time and sound quality are more important (but adding power isnt a deal breaker )

#2 I intend to add a custom intake as well to decrease lag (too bad this adds power as well )

#3 Possibly going to up the rev limiter and change the gearing in the car as well.

#4 DO NOT WANT THEM TO SCRAPE

I know that you dont want the headers too big, nor can they be with the scraping issue., but from what I have heard you can get more power on the top end and scrifice low end grunt with headers. If there is even a chance to increase lag, I'm ruling this out.

So I guess my question is, for a road racer, who wants quick throttle response, less lag and better sound is it worth the money to buy the headers or just port and polish the stockers or leave them as is??????? So...Opinions and prefferably some data please

Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Generally speaking you will lose it on the bottom but gain it on top. I would think for road course work there are better ways to improve throttle response....like RWD . Sorry just couldnt resist! Stick with stock or do a light port and polish.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Generally speaking you will lose it on the bottom but gain it on top. I would think for road course work there are better ways to improve throttle response....like RWD . Sorry just couldnt resist! Stick with stock or do a light port and polish.
Well I guess losing it on the bottom end would alleviate some traction issues, but I plan to do that with longer gearing and tuning, dont want to lose it all though, then it really would be like RWD

But as of right now Port/Polish and Intake is the direction I'm heading. After that it's weight loss, weight loss, weight loss.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
The Milltek headers for my GT3 (na) picked up the most power out of anything I did individually or combined. I don't know how much power they make for Turbo's though. I am sure some of the Porsche Tuners on the board which headers make power and which don't.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
The Milltek headers for my GT3 (na) picked up the most power out of anything I did individually or combined. I don't know how much power they make for Turbo's though. I am sure some of the Porsche Tuners on the board which headers make power and which don't.
I think headers are much less of a big deal on Turbo cars, but if it improves the throttle response of the NA aspect of the motor (i.e. boost build up time), that would be a plus. But I can think of lots of things I'd do to my car with the 2k or so for some good headers. Heack I'd rather buy a couple of sets of tires and brake pads etc than get some useless headers.

Any of the tuners have 100% satisfaction garauntee on headers?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
as stated in the other thread, i am dissapointed with the evo k24 headers.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drewTT
as stated in the other thread, i am dissapointed with the evo k24 headers.
Did they loose power?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
If its weight savings you want then rwd conversion is a must!

I never did a before and after on my headers but the guesstimate is a better throttle response and maybe 10 hp up top.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, I don't claim to be an expert, these are my simple observations from installing different mods on my car and learning as I go. I think the biggest boost lag culprit is back pressure, which would be air getting through the cats, since the first thing that reduces the turbo fins spinning are the cats. Although no backpressure is bad; less is good. I believe you need a little backpressure for the turbos to load giving you low end torque. A good exhaust did wonders when added to my flash.

Headers are pre-turbo (air going in). I don't really believe that the air going into the turbo (k16 or 24's) from the headers is a problem; it's the air going out. The stock headers can handle it, even if you install a bigger intake, which I'm still not convinced will add any more power. Our power is all related to boost, how much and how fast. I really don't believe that an intake and a set of headers will make that much of a difference to justify the expense and installation. What is the true horsepower gain for cars under 600 fwhp when you add an intake and headers, 7 to 10 hp; and at what speed? Are the power gains at the rpm levels that you can use?

If I only get that additional hp at 150 mph and above, is it truely hp that I can use and feel on a daily basis? To me, it's not worth the 2 to 4 grand for that little of a gain at speeds I only hit occasionally (absent the law). Unless you bump it up to 700 fwhp, IMHO you're squandering cash better spent on suspension, tires, brakes, etc.

Now, if your going for big power (700 fwhp and up), then all bets are off. Again let me say, this is coming from a guy who is just going on what he has observed in the last 2 years, it isn't gospel, just my recent discoveries. There are guys on this forum that have gone much, much, farther and have spent a lot more cash that probably know better than I.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 08-03-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
Did they loose power?
no, not that i can tell but they sure as heck did not make the 50HP evo claims from going stage 3 to 4. all that upgrade consists of is headers.

i did run the same cars i ran before the headers and i was no faster....

Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by drewTT
no, not that i can tell but they sure as heck did not make the 50HP evo claims from going stage 3 to 4. all that upgrade consists of is headers.

i did run the same cars i ran before the headers and i was no faster....
The software from Stage 3 to Stage 4 is the same?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 PM
according to stephen at IA it is...

and even if it wasn't i usually run the race file, which i am absolute certain is no different from GIAC vendor to vendor

Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
It seem like headers just are way down the priority list (yes I have them),
but on a car like Luis' they are much more capable of improving performance.
(996 GT3 == NA not turbo)
I'd say if you want REAL headers have Todd Knighton make you some from
scratch! LOL!

MK

Last edited by WOODTSTER; 08-04-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I think custom, well done ones will make a difference...but for me my hard earned money has a few other places to go for now.

It is an area that seems to have a lot of BS around the edges...if you will. When it comes time, I plan to have my tuner guide me.

Stock for now...once big power...something else, perhaps just a port if not a new model not yet on the market that is really good....

I say "DITTO" to Woodster's perspective. I don't have them on my car now.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-03-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 PM
kayman is infamous around these parts
When I talked to mike at evoms, he told me the stage 3 & 4 software is the same.

plus the price difference between the evoms stage 3 and 4 kit is equal to their k24 headers

yet they claim a 50 hp difference between the two... hmmm.....

Last edited by kayman; 08-03-2007 at 11:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.