996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Is there a radio harness available for 99 996 CR220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:30 AM
bmwguy is infamous around these parts
Project completed. Avic D3 installed.

And you were correct, the Switched hot and constant hots needed to be swapped. In the 996 wiring harness, the solid RED wire is constant hot. The Yellow is the switched hot. On the metra harness and the avic harness, its the other way around, which is odd. (RED for switched/yellow for constant).
The brown and black plugs that used to plug into the Porcsche head unit plug into the metra 1784. (THe brown plug carries all of the speaker wires for the porsche). The red plug from the 1787 kit plugs into the blue/yellow/green plug from the Porshe, and the blue/white wire from the 1787's red plug, taps into the blue/white wire from the 1784/Avic harness. (The blue white is the amp turn on wire). Did not need to use the RCA plugs.

Voila.

Thanks for all of the assistance.

(addition terms added to help others who are searching:

Avic D3 Install Porsche, Double din in Porsche 996, Porsche Radio Wiring

Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
eddiero is infamous around these parts
Installation with the 17-1787 worked on mine. Even the DSP functions work!

Last edited by eddiero; 01-03-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 AM
lifeinitaly is infamous around these parts
Is the air / heat controller hard to move to the bottom ?
I have a 996 C4 and I just purchased a Pioneer D3 -
I was planning to install the unit on the 2 bottom slot so I do not have to move the air / heat controller - The only installation I have seen has the Avic d3 on top and he air controller on the bottom -
Does anybody has an image of the installation?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
I also installed the Avic-D3 and relocated the AC controls to the lower console... the only hard part was getting the AC wire harness rerouted to reach the new location. It is a bit of a hassle but manageable. I removed the side panels on the passenger footwell to get more access. The rest was pretty easy.

David

Old 02-02-2008, 06:34 PM
rlim is infamous around these parts
I finally completed my Alpine 9887 installation. I've used only the 1787 harness kit with the RCA plug which plugs into the HU and works fine. The sound quality is not anywhere I expected ... using the existing stock amp and speakers.

My Beemer sounded much better with the Alpine as I think the Harmon Kardon amp and speakers are much better than the stock Porsche amp and speakers combination.

Well, I'm now considering bypassing the stock amp and connecting directly to the speakers. I also have a pair of Infinity Reference 5.25" components which I can use. The 5.25 " woofer is a direct swap with the door speak, however the tweeter is a problem as I am unsure where to place them without having to drill into the door or windshield pillar. Another option is replacing the dash speakers with component 4" speakers... which I'm quite hesitant having to swap out the speaker, hence breaking into the speaker housing.

Any suggestion on speakers ? I'm trying to retain the stock look as much as possible.

Thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 AM
rlim is infamous around these parts
I did a seach as majority of folks went with Focal for the fronts and some suggested getting a 3-way passive crossover and connecting the 6.25" door woofer, 4" mid, and tweeter in the dash. I'll look into doing the same .. time to do some eBay search for 3-way crossover and 4" component speakers. I'll reuse my Infinity 5.25 for the door..

Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks Reborn 996 !
I just finished installing the Avid D3 with XM and Ipod adapter -
Can I ask where to buy the frame that would go around the Pioneer D3 and fill up the space between the unit and the dash ?
I think I found the frame around the air conditioning at Pelikan parts
Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
I used a Kenwood faceplate as it has a larger front face that fills in the entire area on the outside of the radio in the Porsche dash. You have to trim it however but that is not hard to do. The Pioneer one does not have enough material on the edges to fill in all the way.

I got the Kenwood faceplate from Rod at Car Audio Innovations but I think Kenwood sells them online as well.

David

Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
cdr-220

Are you selling your cdr-220? My is in need of a facelift.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Jason
I suppose you are talking to me - Well What is the value of that magnificent :-) unit ?

Paolo

Old 02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
offer

$100.00 + shipping would be a nice price for me.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 AM
jkarp is infamous around these parts
guys, can someone please explain simply which harness (between the 1784 and the 1787) provide which functions?

in other words, i've gathered the 1784 provides the speaker function. anything else?

what does the 1787 provide?

i've hooked everything up as i "thought" it should be, but i get no power to the Kenwood DNX-7100. I had this all working before, but it was spliced directly (no Metra harness).

the only thing i've got in the 1784 right now are the speaker connections.

everything else goes to the 1787. i've crossed the red/yellow wires on the 1787.

am i missing something here?

thanks for any help... josh

Old 02-25-2008, 02:57 PM
jkarp is infamous around these parts
never mind... it just takes me longer than most sometimes ;-)

...josh

Originally Posted by jkarp
guys, can someone please explain simply which harness (between the 1784 and the 1787) provide which functions?

in other words, i've gathered the 1784 provides the speaker function. anything else?

what does the 1787 provide?

i've hooked everything up as i "thought" it should be, but i get no power to the Kenwood DNX-7100. I had this all working before, but it was spliced directly (no Metra harness).

the only thing i've got in the 1784 right now are the speaker connections.

everything else goes to the 1787. i've crossed the red/yellow wires on the 1787.

am i missing something here?

thanks for any help... josh

Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
AndyK is infamous around these parts
Great thread, but I'm still confused!

I have the hi-fi option (door subs) but no Bose - all stock. Can I use these adapters, and if I do, HOW do I use them?

Thanks!

Andy

Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
You want the adapters from Midwest.....IM NOT ASSOCATED WITH THEM

http://www.midwestelectronics.com/bl...88e4bedb2b4d96

this adapter replaces the output to the 6CH amp in the front of the car...they have all you need...its all listed as Blaupunkt....as the Harmon/Becker Group ownes all 3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a radio harness available for 99 996 CR220