996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

RIP my 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
RIP my 996

well, maybe not. Friday night I was coming home off the 75/30 interchange by downtown and a guy in a Saturn clipped my rear end and basically put me in a pit maneuver. I hit the guardrail at 60+ mph head on and slid about 800 ft down the road. I'm really not too sure what happened exactly because after the initial impact I went out for a second. Airbags went off (if you have never had an airbag go off in your face there is a giant amount of suck involved) and the seatbelt actually popped loose. It was a hell of an impact. I know people often call us this or that for being fans of German cars but I honestly feel if I was in a Mustang or something like that it would be a WHOLE different sitaution. Tha cabin wasn't touched. If you looked at the cabin other than the airbags being deployed it still looks brand new. The first cop on the scene didn't ask if I was ok, he asked if I was alive. I didn't get a ticket...not sure if the other guy did or didn't. Pam and Nik took me to Baylor and I have a sever sprain or hairline fracture. It's not a big deal. After 18 years of driving this is my accident/wreck and hopefully last. Anyway, here's what everyone wants...onto the pics:

the GT3 bumper lodged into the guardrail

Old 05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Ouch, it's just a car. You are lucky to walk away with minor injuries

Christian

Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Niche is infamous around these parts
Congrats on being okay! Close one!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 PM
rudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the rough
Wow MCM! I hope not to retire my car that way. Glad to hear that your injuries were minimal - looks like it could have been a lot worse. Not sure if you're still mourning - but what are you going to replace it with?

Rudy

Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
Glad you're ok, but would advise to have follow-up visits to the doctor or chiropractor. Some injuries do not show until later. Happened to my wife a few years back...thought she was perfectly fine after the car was rear-ended. She's fine now, but had developed a mass around the neck area which needed surgery to be removed. We researched the probable cause and only thing it pointed to was that accident.

Not trying to alarm anyone. Just sharing an experience and looking out for a fellow 6speeder.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:35 PM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
Wow, glad your OK, had a person hit me from behind, while I was parked, ended up with surgery to my left shoulder for a SLAP tear.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:39 PM
CMiYC is infamous around these parts
Very glad you are okay. Cars are easy to replace. You really do have to love a car that literally kills itself, to save your life.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:51 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Happy to hear there no serious injuries, your car protected you well.

Just a little duct tape and you'll have her back on the road in no time!

Old 05-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
Wow, glad you are ok. Amazing how well these cars hold up.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
Ouch!! The important thing is you OK!

Insurance will probably cover it, too bad you had a new engine in it, but its just a car. A new 911 coming..?

Old 05-24-2009, 04:38 PM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Yikes, glad to see that you are okay! Thanks for sharing, I'm sure you'll be back in a 911 soon- take care!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
bad thing is that the insurance will cover the value of a comparable 911. not a 911 with a new engine. Your car is totaled.
So glad you are ok.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Malakas is infamous around these parts
Wow - Im glad you were basically unharmed... that impact looked nasty.

I hope the other guy stayed around (Saturn) to make sure you were ok after almost killing you...

Best of luck - hope you have a speedy recovery

Old 05-24-2009, 06:39 PM
valmeida is infamous around these parts
Wow glad to see your ok. Cars can be replaced but not a life.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Glad you are OK. You car has seen better days... With the review of the safety approval of your p-car, I'm sure we'll see you get back into another one just as nice if not better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RIP my 996