996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Track setup- X51 Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Track setup- X51 Oil Pan

How many of you have done the X51 oil pan mod?

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=TeqSale

Trying to make the car as reliable as possible for the track.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
There is also a deep sump spacer that can help as well.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=TeqSale

Anyone using this mod?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
The one way valve for the std sump pan can be a great upgrade as well for long turn, high banked tracks, for a lot less $$.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rotary rocket
How many of you have done the X51 oil pan mod?

There is also a deep sump spacer that can help as well.
Lots of track guys use the X51. I had it for quite a while. The deep sump is probably not a good mod unless you have an extend oil pickup.

-td

Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM
TdiRacing is infamous around these parts
Is it necessary to have one of these for track days? The X51 sump? How hard does one have to corner to have an issue. Car is stock on street tires, so would hope this is not an issue?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
need all the help with oil pickup with these engines.... for track, highly recommended.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I did some searching and found that these engines are prone to oil starvation. I don't know if this is a real issue or just a few people saying it is on the internet? If there is a cause of starvation, what is the cause? Is there anything to do about it?

I bought my 996 to have fun and occasionally go to a track day or two a year. I sure do not want to blow an engine for taking it on a track. I thought these engines were better off driven hard like they were designed for? So much conflicting information....

Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I will try to find that information. Some how I am not surprised that stuff like this happens. I can do 1G + in my 914/6 with no issues all day long...LOL One of the reasons I love that old car...

Will do more research before doing a track day for sure

Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TdiRacing
I will try to find that information. Some how I am not surprised that stuff like this happens. I can do 1G + in my 914/6 with no issues all day long...LOL One of the reasons I love that old car...

Will do more research before doing a track day for sure
I could easily 1+ G in my 996. More like 1.5+

-td

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
sweet. what set-up do you have?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
If you search on PCA (tech Q&A)... they never had any known history reported from oil starvation.... just another 996 myth. Porsche do recommend not to run on slicks...

Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
I fitted it when I last did an oil change, did it as a precaution thing, very easy and every little helps I guess...

Old 07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
If you search on PCA (tech Q&A)... they never had any known history reported from oil starvation.... just another 996 myth. Porsche do recommend not to run on slicks...
Is it oil starvation or oil consumption. Have seen some posts about the engine consuming the oil. I wonder what they are talking about? Is it possible to slosh the oil over to one corner and up into the heads some how? Still a newbie with this engine and was wondering exactly what the heck is going on with this issue(perceived or not)

Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve Germany
The one way valve for the std sump pan can be a great upgrade as well for long turn, high banked tracks, for a lot less $$.
Steve,

can you describe this "one way valve" a little... what exactly does this consist of?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 AM
steveespo is infamous around these parts
Pete
The one way valves are trap doors in the sump that surround the pick up. The oil can push the door "in" so the oil gets back to the pump pickup, the doors can't swing out during lateral acceleration because they have stop framing, so the oil can't "run" away from the pickup causing oil starvation, and accumalation in the cam boxes. Not as much as without I should say, with the flat six fluids will always centifuge out towards the direction of lateral 'g'.
Steve E.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track setup- X51 Oil Pan