996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Hit a chair or couch on the Freeway!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Hit a chair or couch on the Freeway! *pics*

Last week some guy scuffed my rear bumper at the light, his insurance took care of it, i dropped the car off at the shop & they had it a few says, i picked it up, all was good they repainted the rear bumper..picked it up at 2pm tuesday...at around 9pm i was getting on the freeway onramp, a bit of high speed, there were no cars at all, i look to my left to make sure no cars coming on freeway because i'm about to merge onto freeway from onramp, i look back in front of me and all i see is some object literally right infront of my car, no time to do anything so hit it at full speed and it disintegrated (it was very dark by the way)..it was kind of a hard hit, but airbags didn't come out or anything...i pulled over to the side of the road, and saw springs, foam, large chuncks of wood scattered all over the place..my front bumper, front spoiler, were broken, my right headlight scuffed, and coolant leaking everywhere...but thank God no body damage.

A cop pulls up and tells me she had gotten a call 10minutes before regarding a chair on the onramp but apparentley i had already hit it before she could make it...so i had the car towed back to the place i had just picked it up from a few hours ago

Damage is $8,000 the headlight alone is $2600. My deductible is $1000 (comprehensive claim) They are replacing the Front bumper + front spoiler + right headlight + needs new radiator..wont have the car for 10 days.the good thing is no body damage so no paint on the body or messing with the car itself, just the plastics.

Road debree is so damn dangerous, if a motorcycle rider had hit this he could have died..people who are moving and dont secure their loads have no idea the amount of chaos they can cause. Anyways, oh well, could have been worse, $1,000 deductible sucks + having the car at the shop sucks even worse!

Attached Images      

Last edited by Tarek307; 04-09-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM
fbgh2o is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear...., but glad that it's all cosmetic.

How did you not see it?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Sorry to hear...., but glad that it's all cosmetic.

How did you not see it?
Who knows man! it was very dark, i looked to my left then infront for a second and bam it was there..

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
i was driving this^

and some dumbazz let a two peice fiberglass ladder fall of his truck on the freeway
in front of me, it hit the ground and blew up into shards smashed the car next to me but i steered clear. very scary.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
I am happy to hear that nothing happened to you. As frustrating as it seems, just remember, it is a machine and can be repaired or replaced; you can't!

Just be super carefull for a while, bad things come in three's!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Goldduster
I am happy to hear that nothing happened to you. As frustrating as it seems, just remember, it is a machine and can be repaired or replaced; you can't!

Just be super carefull for a while, bad things come in three's!!!
GEEZ! Thanks for the encouraging words! lol

Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
the housing around the radiator also need replacement. check wheel liner for crack too.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 AM
And996tt has a spectacular aura aboutAnd996tt has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for your damage

I would just like to point out that when driving your car at night you should still make sure you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear. I know almost nobody actually does this in the real world, but for example say a motorcyclist had hit the chair just before you and had ended up lying in the road the chances are you would have run him over and potentionally killed him.

Please don't see this as a personal attack, but it is a fact that pretty much everybody drives faster than is safe at night.

Andy

Old 04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
ouch

I may have the lamp you need. Had a bigger boo boo with my car.
Jay 954.560.3175

Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by jayster
I may have the lamp you need. Had a bigger boo boo with my car.
Jay 954.560.3175
Thanks Jay, but insurance is buying a brand new one

Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 AM
FFWD a year and a half later, i'm thinking about selling my car & i look @ the Auto Check, the damn thing says COLLIDED WITH GUARD RAIL in April 2011 instead of saying i hit a chair or an object on the freeway- WTFFFFFFFFF?????? How could it say this...what a bunch of BS! I'm calling those idiots tomorrow!

Good news is my score is still a 91 which is above the average

Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Probably will need to dispute it in writing.
Jay.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I can't see that it matters what you hit. You should have the repair estimate and receipt which shows any potential buyer what was damaged and what was repaired. That's all I would be worrying about as a buyer. Also, for what it's worth, your body shop probably had a limited number of choices to select from when entering the information. The WTF... is that life/stuff happens and it's Friday so Hakuna Matata.

Last edited by denversteve; 09-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 PM
TraderJoe is infamous around these parts
Good opportunity to give it a facelift to match the back bumper... You dodged one with a couch no less.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah, if you were buying, what about everyone else?
Big difference in the physics involved, couch vs. guardrail.
Need I say more?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hit a chair or couch on the Freeway!