996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Had to bite. $638 for four tires shipped to me. From our sponsor TR.

Four tires. 225/40/18 in front and 295/30/18 in rear....

Sumitomo HTR Z III.

On rennlist, John D (site admin) reviewed them on his 993...and felt they were good. He is an instructor.... No, not an R compound tire, but they tested above Bridgestone, Yoko, and Conti SC 3's.... (on a BMW platform).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

Report to follow. I just could not justify over double for PS2's....

Old 07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Looking forward to your review.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Jeff,

Great price and very good reviews for this tire. The only negative I can see is the weight. A PS2 rear weighs 26 lbs. vs. 30 lbs for the Sumitomo. The front PS2 weighs 21 lbs. vs. 25 for the HTR Z 3. A lot of additional weight at the exterior of the wheel.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John D
Jeff,

Great price and very good reviews for this tire. The only negative I can see is the weight. A PS2 rear weighs 26 lbs. vs. 30 lbs for the Sumitomo. The front PS2 weighs 21 lbs. vs. 25 for the HTR Z 3. A lot of additional weight at the exterior of the wheel.
That is a very good point. I'd really like to measure tire v tire, rather than do look-up stuff.

To be fair, the sumi stats are not as good in weight as the tires it beat..for a "non racer" I just want a tire I can afford. If it turns out that that weight went into the sidewall...fine. If these are "better" than PS2's (did I actually say that)....

Damon, can you take two tires out of each size and "check the spec" for us? (I gave your name the credit for the sale, btw)

In the test (225/45/17):
Conti Sport Contact 3 21#
Yoko ADVAN Sport 24#
Bridgestone re50... 25#
Sumi 23#

So it gave up 2# on the conti and still won.....it also has a 300 wear rating .....amazing.

In 295/30-18 the sumi spec on TR is 30# (front is 25#). The ps2 spec is
rear/front 26#/21#. But, I would like to know how "real" those weights are.....in bike tires, a tire's weight on the box is often 45g less than what it is on the scale by certain vendors.....

JB

Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
In the big picture of performance tire shopping the Sumitomo HTR Z III "fair to good".

Comparing the Sumitomo HTR Z III to other budget performance tires, they are "excellent"!

You made a good choice in that price point.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
I actually have a set going on tomorrow

Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
In the big picture of performance tire shopping the Sumitomo HTR Z III "fair to good".

Comparing the Sumitomo HTR Z III to other budget performance tires, they are "excellent"!

You made a good choice in that price point.
Appreciated and agree with the sum. I was very, very surprised by the TireRack guys' review/test....and the thread in the 993 section on rennlist was very complimentary. Guys there push hard, have N/A cars, but are in red/black PCA groups....

It is a street tire, so for that purpose, it is likely excellent. And at <50% PS2 money, a no brainer. I'll report back.

TT, nice to hear from you. Please give us your take on these too. I could not help by try them. If they stink, PS2's will go on the car for sure... I plan to DE them too at Summit Point.

Some have said in the dry they are superior to the PS2....rain, probably not, but I don't push in rain ever....

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-21-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
I have a set on the rear in OEM measurements. I got them from TR as well. I have had them on for about 2 months and am very happy with them so far. Grip, comfort, look, and lack of road noise is excellent for the price. I plan on buying a set for the front in a few months. I highly recommend them.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to hear you guys are liking them. Please keep me in mind when ordering. Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
For the street it sounds like a very reasonable choice,
thanks for the info!

MK

Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
45otto is infamous around these parts
" affordable supertire " What is that? sounds like " I f*&%'ed this skinny fat chick".

Just busting your *****, I hope you enjoy your purchase.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
The HTR Z III's are actually a good buy even w/o considering price. They beat the Bridgestone RE050As in Tire Rack's performance tests.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
what about yokohoma advans heard they are good

Old 07-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'll be paying attention to this thread... My big question is NOISE... How Noisy are these tires? I went with the Michilen PS RIB because of the noise and have been extremely happy. The only issue is cost... But if the Sumitomo is quiet, then I'll give them a shot next time around...

Mike

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM
4CED INDUCTION is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Glad to hear you guys are liking them. Please keep me in mind when ordering. Thanks.
Thanks for the post. I was just about to order Bridgestone RE050A's from Tirerack.

Damon I will be calling you today to place an order for these tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)