997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is PCCB worth the extra 9K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009 | 01:50 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Big reds are all you need on the street or the track.
Well that depends on how one defines "all that he needs" .

Old 10-08-2009 | 04:47 AM
tyounker is infamous around these parts
1st & 2nd generation

I just bought a 07 911 TT w/ PCCB. Does it have the 1st generation or 2nd generation brakes?

Old 10-08-2009 | 04:49 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tyounker
I just bought a 07 911 TT w/ PCCB. Does it have the 1st generation or 2nd generation brakes?
Gen 2

Old 10-08-2009 | 05:23 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
If you can afford it, it's a neat "gee whiz" option.

With that being said, I would just get the steel brakes and have your calipers powder coated yellow if it's more about the look for you. The stock brakes work fine, on the street or track. Yes, you will get dust but it washes right off. For those concerned about rust after washing, that's easy. Either hit them with a leaf blower... Or, take a quick ride down the street riding the brakes for about 10 seconds after you wash the car. Problem solved

Actually, the stock brakes work fine even on modded cars as long as you're staying on the street. I don't buy into the theory that if you add some HP, you need to upgrade your brakes if it's just street driving. It's not a bad idea, but hardly necessary. You can't generate anywhere near the speed/heat during street driving that you can on the track.

With that being said, if you upgrade the HP and you track the car, you will most certainly need to upgrade the brakes. I added around 200 hp to my 996 and never once had a problem on the street with stopping or fade. Ever. I never even considered a brake upgrade. However, I boiled the fluid in my brakes on my first two track days. I still didn't have to upgrade the calipers and rotors to fix that. Just some SS lines, performance pads, performance fluid, and bigger brake ducts did the trick. No problems now. I run three sessions a day without an ounce of fade.

Old 10-08-2009 | 05:34 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
ceramics have gone mainstream

I just saw a late 80's buick/ols/chevy?? with landau roof with the front rotors and the rear drums painted YELLOW.

Old 10-08-2009 | 09:56 AM
mdc
|
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
If

With that being said, I would just get the steel brakes and have your calipers powder coated yellow if it's more about the look for you.
that is not a bad idea, it is all about the look. If I go with steel brakes, I will get a red dial and red seat belt. I am thinking yellow will be cool because to differentiate it more from the C2S I had. I am not a handy person, how involve is removing the calipers and get to powder coated? If I go thru with this, I will be worry taking my brand new turbo to someplace for them to remove and paint the brakes and install it.... Will the new paint stay? or chip easily?

Old 10-08-2009 | 09:58 AM
mdc
|
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Well that depends on how one defines "all that he needs" .
; } I don’t think any one here need a turbo. Certainly not me. I will be plenty happy with a C2S, 4S. but I will die for a turbo !

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:13 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I love the PCCB threads. Clearly two camps, split up again depending on how you bought your car. Those who bought new and ordered their car had to make a decision. I find it hard to believe one would cheap out on brakes, but hey it's your car. Those who bought used tend to search and search for that perfect car, PCCBs might not be a high priority. Is it just simply the case that a guy buying a Porsche is too cheap to step up to the plate? Or is it most guys don't really drive their cars hard enough to notice? Or is it those on this board are trackers and we all know how cheap you tend to get once you live and die for track days
The truth is and always will be there is no comparison. The reds are not as good, can't even come close and we shouldn't pretend they are. Do your self a favor and drive them back to back and really push the brakes. If you can't tell a difference, please go buy that MB or BMW
These threads need to be better stated. Track cars have different needs and the pocket book makes that decision. CCBs are here to stay and will continue to drop in price making them more affordable. They are by far the best brakes I have used and this includes every big brake kit from the large aftermarket players. I would take Alcon's 25k kit, but lets compare apples to apples.

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:23 AM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JZRS4
I love the PCCB threads. Clearly two camps, split up again depending on how you bought your car. Those who bought new and ordered their car had to make a decision. I find it hard to believe one would cheap out on brakes, but hey it's your car. Those who bought used tend to search and search for that perfect car, PCCBs might not be a high priority. Is it just simply the case that a guy buying a Porsche is too cheap to step up to the plate? Or is it most guys don't really drive their cars hard enough to notice? Or is it those on this board are trackers and we all know how cheap you tend to get once you live and die for track days
The truth is and always will be there is no comparison. The reds are not as good, can't even come close and we shouldn't pretend they are. Do your self a favor and drive them back to back and really push the brakes. If you can't tell a difference, please go buy that MB or BMW
These threads need to be better stated. Track cars have different needs and the pocket book makes that decision. CCBs are here to stay and will continue to drop in price making them more affordable. They are by far the best brakes I have used and this includes every big brake kit from the large aftermarket players. I would take Alcon's 25k kit, but lets compare apples to apples.
haha... yea... OR,

You know you were going to track it and didn't want to put up with chewed up rotors (yes, the second gens also have this problem), and talked to the techs who also said the irons last longer and are more reliable for track use.

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:27 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I have had 3 997 Turbos with Carbon Ceramic brakes. On the last 2 I owned, I took them off, replaced them with steel, and then put them back on for trade-in or sale.

The standard Porsche brakes are overkill for the cars - that's one of the distinguishing features of 911s - they come with great brake horsepower.

Brembo 'Big Red' brake kits are not the same as the expensive Brembo 8 piston GTR brakes. The GTR brakes are better than the carbon ceramic, fade less after mutiple laps, and the replacement costs are much less than the $$$$k per wheel for carbon ceramics (although the up front cost of buying GTRs is high).

I know of no pro racer (not club racing) who uses carbon ceramics, unless they have money to burn. The steel brakes that come with your Porsche are fine.

Old 10-08-2009 | 11:16 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
I have had 3 997 Turbos with Carbon Ceramic brakes. On the last 2 I owned, I took them off, replaced them with steel, and then put them back on for trade-in or sale.

The standard Porsche brakes are overkill for the cars - that's one of the distinguishing features of 911s - they come with great brake horsepower.

Brembo 'Big Red' brake kits are not the same as the expensive Brembo 8 piston GTR brakes. The GTR brakes are better than the carbon ceramic, fade less after mutiple laps, and the replacement costs are much less than the $$$$k per wheel for carbon ceramics (although the up front cost of buying GTRs is high).

I know of no pro racer (not club racing) who uses carbon ceramics, unless they have money to burn. The steel brakes that come with your Porsche are fine.
You bring up some very good points, including the last one that I highlighted.
However, the discussion here is not about whether the standard brake is fine, but whether PCCB is better.

The answer is of course yes, PCCB is better with respect to at least 2 important parameters, unsprung weight and initial bite.

I also agree though that the initial cost is high and replacement cost prohibitive. Bottom line: There is no wrong or right. It comes down to an individual decision for each of us: PCCB is better, but is it worth it?
My answer has always been: PCCB, an unnecessary but absolutely wonderful luxury.

Last edited by cannga; 10-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2009 | 12:46 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
i'm wondering if at some point you won't have a choice? CCB's were an option on the F430 but became standard equipment. I'm sure they're std. on the 458 Italia

Are they standard on the GT2 or can you get big reds?

Old 10-08-2009 | 02:20 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
You bring up some very good points, including the last one that I highlighted.
However, the discussion here is not about whether the standard brake is fine, but whether PCCB is better.

The answer is of course yes, PCCB is better with respect to at least 2 important parameters, unsprung weight and initial bite.

I also agree though that the initial cost is high and replacement cost prohibitive. Bottom line: There is no wrong or right. It comes down to an individual decision for each of us: PCCB is better, but is it worth it?
My answer has always been: PCCB, an unnecessary but absolutely wonderful luxury.
I understand that PCCB are the lightest out of any brakes you can get on the 997TT, but is the saving in weight noticeable?

the reason I'm asking is If someone is buying a new RS (maybe me ) performance wise, is it better to go with PCCB or get big reds then replace it with some brambo's ? regardless the cost

Old 11-01-2009 | 06:36 PM
bakers911 is infamous around these parts
Had PCCB's om ny 05 C2S and loved them on and off track, now have an 08 Turbo w/o PCCB's and missing them. Also if you dont get Total 911 magazine, you might check out an article they ran a few months ago. They had an in depth two part article on PCCB's that is a must for anyone thinking about them.