997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help removing 997.1 muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM
GermanHaus is infamous around these parts
Help removing 997.1 muffler

I have completely removed all bolts, and loosened the hangers. How do I get the muffler actually off the car? What and where am I missing something?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
You have to wiggle it pretty good to get it off...It's most likely hung up on the two straps that hold the muffler on...It wraps around a bracket behind the muffler...You have to push those straps towards the front of the car to release the tension.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by GermanHaus
I have completely removed all bolts, and loosened the hangers. How do I get the muffler actually off the car? What and where am I missing something?

Last edited by johnww; 06-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 PM
So push both the top and bottom part of the straps forward, and wiggle side to side? Up down? I've been stuck on this for about 60 minutes

Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
So push both the top and bottom part of the straps forward, and wiggle side to side? Up down? I've been stuck on this for about 60 minutes
Yeah you have to take the bolt out of the straps and push them both,top and bottom, towards the engine...I ended up getting pissed and put a big flat head screw driver in there to pry on the straps...Once you get some slack behind the muffler, slide it side to side and it should come of the bracket...It has a little lip/hook that it goes around...Took me a while to get it off as well...The stock muffler is a PITA for some reason...Once you have a aftermarket exhaust on it, it's a piece of cake to get on and off...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...install-3.html

Use the above link. Post 34 picture 1 shows the bracket/plate with the 4 tabs that the straps go around. You need to get the straps off those tabs first. Best way is to give the muffler a very aggressive shaking first to loosen the rear of the straps a little bit off the back of the tabs as when they were originally tightened the straps became permanently bent on a hard angle on the tabs when they conformed in shape around the muffler. So even when you shake the muffler the straps will usually hold on to the tabs and won't jump over the retaining lugs without some form of help. So you've got to get each strap to individually jump over the lugs on each of the straps tabs to actually release the strap so it can then slide off the side of the tab, and then the muffler can come away from the actual bracket. This usually involves wiggling each strap sideways (one to the left, and one to the right) while at the same time wiggling the muffler. That way the rear of the straps can then jump over the retainer bump/lug and slide off the tabs. Two sets of hands can be good in this process.

Last edited by speed21; 06-24-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:58 AM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
These straps were a serious pain. With the bumper off it is a lot easier to see as speed said, wiggle the straps towards the wheels so that the straps slide off the tabs. Once you have cleared the tabs you can tilt the exhaust down and off the turbo studs.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
no one has done this more than TTsurgeon, shoot him a pm if the info above isnt enough

Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
You have to shift the straps laterally to get them to disengage from the slat that they slide over.
GL

Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the help. After getting pissed at it, before getting to read a lot of follow up, I ripped it off at 11:45pm last night. The new Tubi is installed, running and sounding great.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:05 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Thanks for the help. After getting pissed at it, before getting to read a lot of follow up, I ripped it off at 11:45pm last night. The new Tubi is installed, running and sounding great.

if at first you don't succeed....