997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Modified Stock Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 PM
GT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of lightGT32 is a glorious beacon of light
Finally made it to Mosport track day today with TPC's DSC and been there previously a number of times with car on damptonics. All I can say is amazing!!! Mosport is a very fast track( fastest in North America) and the module is clearly the best mod I have spent money on. There are two off camber high speed corners that used to be a little white knuckle but no more. Car is amazingly planted and absorbs the bumps and curbs without disturbing the balance. The handling is much more confidence inspiring versus holding on for dear life. I was mainly on mode 3 and impressed at my ability to focus on getting the perfect line and pushing harder versus fighting the car to keep on track. TPC has a major winner and I will guarantee anyone who installs this and tries the before and after especially on track will be amazed!!! Thanks TPC for making my track days more enjoyable and faster.Next up sway bars!!! Thanks again TPC!!!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:52 AM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
This Product sounds awesome however.. How much extra wear and tear does this cause the shocks as it is now a active system??

Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikestyle
This Product sounds awesome however.. How much extra wear and tear does this cause the shocks as it is now a active system??

Hi Mike,

1. The stock PASM system is *also* active; it also adjusts to road condition, lateral and "longitudinal" acceleration, etc., and adjusts stiffness, etc. of suspension system accordingly, supposedly. (In reality of course, as we already know drivers feel seemingly only 2 modes, too soft at PASM Normal and rock hard/jittery with PASM Sport.) So to best of my knowledge, the TPC PASM module doesn't "make" the system active, it is just better management of the stock already-active system, namely better management of the dampening force. Harris pls correct me if I am wrong.

2. IMHO, failure of damper is usually leaking of the damper piston mechanism, in this sense, a PASM damper is not prone any more to failure than non PASM damper. IOW, the piston moves up and down the same in reaction to road bumps, not any more or any less frequent. It is ONLY the damping force that is varied in a PASM system.

So in short, IMHO no there should not be any more wear and tear.

Last edited by cannga; 06-06-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikestyle
DSC does not cause any more wear and tear to the shocks. They are designed to handle what our program is demanding.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT32
Finally made it to Mosport track day today with TPC's DSC and been there previously a number of times with car on damptonics. All I can say is amazing!!! Mosport is a very fast track( fastest in North America) and the module is clearly the best mod I have spent money on. There are two off camber high speed corners that used to be a little white knuckle but no more. Car is amazingly planted and absorbs the bumps and curbs without disturbing the balance. The handling is much more confidence inspiring versus holding on for dear life. I was mainly on mode 3 and impressed at my ability to focus on getting the perfect line and pushing harder versus fighting the car to keep on track. TPC has a major winner and I will guarantee anyone who installs this and tries the before and after especially on track will be amazed!!! Thanks TPC for making my track days more enjoyable and faster.Next up sway bars!!! Thanks again TPC!!!
Very happy to hear that you are enjoying your car now and that you had a great track day!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:42 AM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Mike,

1. The stock PASM system is *also* active; it also adjusts to road condition, lateral and "longitudinal" acceleration, etc., and adjusts stiffness, etc. of suspension system accordingly, supposedly. (In reality of course, as we already know drivers feel seemingly only 2 modes, too soft at PASM Normal and rock hard/jittery with PASM Sport.) So to best of my knowledge, the TPC PASM module doesn't "make" the system active, it is just better management of the stock already-active system, namely better management of the dampening force. Harris pls correct me if I am wrong.

2. IMHO, failure of damper is usually leaking of the damper piston mechanism, in this sense, a PASM damper is not prone any more to failure than non PASM damper. IOW, the piston moves up and down the same in reaction to road bumps, not any more or any less frequent. It is ONLY the damping force that is varied in a PASM system.

So in short, IMHO no there should not be any more wear and tear.

Hi Cannga

Thanks for the informative post! I was under the impression stock= static and TPC= Dynamic. However this is not he case so it should not necessarily increase wear and tear.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
After 2 sessions at Watkins Glen, all I can say is wow. I forgot to bring the old box to do real comparisons. But last year I was doing 2:10s with R6s. Running R888s today, which I haven't been a fan of, and banging out 2:11s with traffic. Every corner seems predictable, I bet I can best my time if I can find a groove with open track. Looking at track data, leaving time here and there. Been only in mode 3 since I'm having so much fun, haven't tried mode 2 yet.

Someone is going to having sell me on how much faster I can get with coilovers. Car seems pretty good right now.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:40 PM
TurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to behold
How do we get in on the group buy? Thx

Old 06-07-2014, 07:50 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Considering I have placed my order for complete Stage 2 RSS Tarmac suspension components (more like stage 3 with everything else I have and other added RSS goodies), arriving in about 3 weeks - this is a no briner to get my car to be the stickiest piece of metal this side of the sun!
...I'm in!

1. Pureporsche (Mike), '07 997.1 TT

Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
...is this a group buy of 1?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
After 3 days at track, I have to believe my better performances had something to do with the updated DSC/PASM. I did forget to mention I changed my alignment -2.5F/-1.9R. Besides a turbo overheating issue, I couldn't have had more fun at the Glen. I know I could have saved $ on the group buy but at this speed of signups, I wouldn't get it for a while.

I finished off my R888s and R6s will be here tomorrow, next up Mt Tremblant.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM
40TO60N1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pureporsche
...is this a group buy of 1?
I've been waiting for a group buy since the start of this thread back in Dec 2013. I couldn't hold out any longer and picked it up two months ago. (It's worth it!) Not sure have others done the same.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
vaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 40TO60N1
I've been waiting for a group buy since the start of this thread back in Dec 2013. I couldn't hold out any longer and picked it up two months ago. (It's worth it!) Not sure have others done the same.
I also gave up on the group buy and purchased last week.

I've not had a chance to drive on anything but city streets and highways, but here are my impressions:

The floaty stock suspension is gone (!)
The three suspension settings are much closer together than the too soft and too hard stock settings.
Installation was easy, although no instructions were provided. See quick write up below.
TPC was friendly and shipped fast, but for $20 in shipping on a $1200 module, I would have hoped for better than ground shipping (1.5 weeks to left coast)

So far, so good. Have a track day later this month.

The DSC unit is located above the passenger footwell, in between the soft liner under the glovebox. No tools are needed. You need to reuse the plastic clip on the stock DSC unit. Ignition off, I did not disconnect battery. Unclip single plug from stock and replace with TPC unit. That's it. Took me 20 min since I didn't have any instructions. Will take 3 minutes now.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vaportrail
I also gave up on the group buy and purchased last week.

I've not had a chance to drive on anything but city streets and highways, but here are my impressions:

The floaty stock suspension is gone (!)
The three suspension settings are much closer together than the too soft and too hard stock settings.
Installation was easy, although no instructions were provided. See quick write up below.
TPC was friendly and shipped fast, but for $20 in shipping on a $1200 module, I would have hoped for better than ground shipping (1.5 weeks to left coast)
The DSC unit is located above the passenger footwell, in between the soft liner under the glovebox. No tools are needed. You need to reuse the plastic clip on the stock DSC unit. Ignition off, I did not disconnect battery. Unclip single plug from stock and replace with TPC unit. That's it. Took me 20 min since I didn't have any instructions. Will take 3 minutes now.

Which setting do you like the best on city streets?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
TurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to beholdTurboBoostin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Considering I have placed my order for complete Stage 2 RSS Tarmac suspension components (more like stage 3 with everything else I have and other added RSS goodies), arriving in about 3 weeks - this is a no briner to get my car to be the stickiest piece of metal this side of the sun!
...I'm in!

1. Pureporsche (Mike), '07 997.1 TT
2. TurboBoostin (Ernesto) '07 997.1 TT
Sweet!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modified Stock Suspension