997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PCM 3.0 Software Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow PCM 3.0 Software Update

Porsche just released a software update for the PCM 3.0 (for the new 2009 Carrera, Cayenne, Boxster, & Cayman models). The update will fix a few common "bugs" that have been found in the new system. Most of the fixes are only relevant if you have factory add-on modules, such as XM, Bluetooth, Navigation, or the iPod/Interface kit.

Updates PCM 3.0 from V1.10 to V1.4

Here are the current "bugs" which are addressed:
  • "INFO" and "MAP" buttons do not function if "INFO" or "MAP" is used to leave an open route list.
  • Incorrect display of remaining range when in "miles".
  • FM audio is muted until source is changed to AM.
  • When a saved preset station is selected, the wrong station is displayed.
  • In "ASIA" coding, RDS does not function.
  • Intermittent loss of XM radio.
  • Display does not match with the selected source.
  • iPhone: Audio playback does not restart after phone call.
  • USB device not available until system restart.
  • Only USA: Maps set to European styling (wrong highway colors, POI icons, etc.)
  • Temporary disappearance of TMC (traffic) messages during a drive cycle.
  • For Voice Control, the "closest gas stations" command results in a list of the closest hotels.
  • Bluetooth disconnection with Nokia mobile phones.
  • The first activation of any function of the steering column switches (i.e. turn signal) ends a current telephone call.
  • The opposite party cannot be heard in the vehicle if a phone call is made immediately after system start-up.
  • Pairing or connection with a mobile phone via Bluetooth is no longer possible, although it had previously functioned.
To get your update, you can contact your local service department and set an appointment (it's probably covered under warranty). This is a new update, your dealer may not be aware of it, so make sure they have the new update CD on hand. If you want to completely bypass your local service department, we have the disc available on our site. It's cheap, and an easy install.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook

Last edited by SuncoastParts; 05-06-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
Thanks for the heads up.
Any word on retrofitting XM to that unit?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
kevin123 is infamous around these parts
How do you tell the version number?

When I select info mine says Version V

Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
No word on an XM kit, I don't think Porsche will be releasing a retrofit kit.

This update will take it from version V1.10 to V1.4. Not sure how to check the current version, I'll see if I can find some info on that.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM
I spoke with my Porsche service about the update and here is what they said.

* They don't have the update
* They only update when the car is brought in for service (i.e. not just to get the update.

* They update by connecting their computers up, not through a CD. The PCM 2.X was updated with a CD.

* Anyone selling the CD is violating copyright laws and the Porsche agreement. (They wanted to know who was doing this, I didnt tell them)

* Any update by the user voids the warranty.
* Porsche tracks all updates and has become
extremely strict on the PCM 3 system. The dealer has to report all changes including S/W updates to the Porsche database.

I personally don't think their information is correct, but how am I to know.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Well......that's interesting. Sounds like they didn't get the memo.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Did the memo say end users could do the update?

Are the CDs your offering coming from Porsche parts (I'm sure they are)?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
IMG_0306SITE.jpg?t=1238082606

I installed the update on our little project car (above), just inserted the disc and the radio took care of the rest. This is a genuine Porsche Part in sealed packaging, not a copy. Any dealer can order it, most aren't aware yet. You may have to be patient with them, not sure if this info has hit the normal communciation channels yet.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
It would be nice if the user could select the style of display themselves by a settings menu. I'd would prefer the euro style displays and icons. I'd prefer the rest-o-world dash icons as well over the dumbed-down-USA versions (IE the (o) icon rather than the word BRAKE ) but thats a different issue.

Here's a possibility to add a user selectable option of what to display in the OBC line on the center console: source or alternating source and title, etc. How about adding that to the next software fix.

I remember asking my dealer when I had my car in for the roof leak a few months back, if there was a chance Porsche would provide software changes that might change the way some things in the car work (beyond the PCM, but I would think a central PCM driven software package could run things in general).. such as beeping the horn on locking (in addition to blinking lights).. and the dealer indicated they had never seen such updates. So that may mean that my theory of PCM vs general car operation are separate controllers.

Last edited by Minok; 05-08-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kevin123

* They only update when the car is brought in for service (i.e. not just to get the update.
If I had a new car that hung up the phone whenever I activate the turn signal, and the dealer refused to give me a software update without a full service call - ie I needed to wait for a year.. I'd proceed to beat the service manager about the head with a blunt object.

AFAIK I don't have any of the issues described.. but then I've not really used a lot of the features yet. Only received one call while in the car and it ended before I got to a turn. Have yet to try to leave an 'open route list' (what ever that is), etc. Never driven my car far enough to really see how accurate that 'remaining range' indictor is. I guess I'm glad I didn't push it.

Last edited by Minok; 05-08-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts

* They update by connecting their computers up, not through a CD. The PCM 2.X was updated with a CD.

* Anyone selling the CD is violating copyright laws and the Porsche agreement. (They wanted to know who was doing this, I didnt tell them)

* Any update by the user voids the warranty.
* Porsche tracks all updates and has become
extremely strict on the PCM 3 system. The dealer has to report all changes including S/W updates to the Porsche database.

I personally don't think their information is correct, but how am I to know.
I talked with my Porsche dealer and they have had this updated software for about 1 week. He said that as long as I "squawk" a problem that I have encountered with the software they will do the software update/fix free of charge under warranty. I have noticed a couple of the more benign problems (loss of XM radio reception and temporary loss of TMC traffic messages) and mentioned those and he said bring it in and they will do the update. I am getting it done Monday AM and will let everyone know how it goes.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:02 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
It seems a shame that you have to squawk to get any help from the dealer when the system has design bugs that should be fixed automatically. It isn't like it is a big time-consuming deal for them to do it for a customer who just spent $100k +/- on a car! Thanks to Suncoast for bringing this to the attention of 997.2 owners, since they apparently can't count on their own dealers to help them out.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
[quote=suncoastric;2374784]Porsche just released a software update for the PCM 3.0 (for the new 2009 Carrera, Cayenne, Boxster, & Cayman models). The update will fix a few common "bugs" that have been found in the new system. Most of the fixes are only relevant if you have factory add-on modules, such as XM, Bluetooth, Navigation, or the iPod/Interface kit.

Sounds like another A+ for Suncoast

Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
It seems a shame that you have to squawk to get any help from the dealer when the system has design bugs that should be fixed automatically. It isn't like it is a big time-consuming deal for them to do it for a customer who just spent $100k +/- on a car! Thanks to Suncoast for bringing this to the attention of 997.2 owners, since they apparently can't count on their own dealers to help them out.
Agreed! Software updates (including device firmware) should be installed in all customer cars free of charge.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
How do you tell the version number?

When I select info mine says Version V
Mine says the same thing "Version V" - I just assume it is the old version. Does anyone know any different?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Software Update