997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What else besides a 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:25 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
What else besides a 997?

OK, bold question, but what I want to know is if there are any other cars out there (semi exotic-ish) with the build quality of the Porsche 997..... It is OK if the car does not handle as well in the twisties or slower a bit to 60...: Lotus, lower priced F cars like 360's, Masarati's, AM, or other. In the used Market a Lotus Elise, Masarati Grand Sport or even Grand Tourismo, 03 or so 360 Modena, used Aston Vantage etc all can be had within 10-15K either way of a well equipped 997(.2S) etc...

I have never struggled withy parting with some $ for a car, but what I could never stomach is spending such $ and have a car that just hemorrhages cash year after year after year... above what is expected/normal. Understanding all such cars are not cheap to maintain, but needing a new clutch at 8K+ miles, a sub 10K mile check up for 5K, constant break downs or parts failing etc... is not acceptable to me and what has always kept me away from such above mentioned cars.

I am starting to explore another fun car and above are just a few makers I am looking into. This question may have not been phrased perfect but hoping people understand what I am asking.... high end sports car, from Europe, that handles and rides great, decent performance and aesthetically looks right/good...

Just was curious if anyone here has first hand or close to first hand info that there maybe a car out there on par or dam close to the quality of our 997's? (less interesated in vettes, vipers etc but do respect/like and like those cars...)

That said, on this topic, used a price range of 60-70K what car would you explore buying besides a Porsche in the used car market. (nothing to old)

Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Well, stay away from the Lotus Elise if you are looking for build quality. They are great drives, but so so fragile and simple. Lots of creaks, squeeks and such. Buzzes, drones, rattles all make the car what it is. I would buy one in a second if I had the means to buy a 3rd car, just for the simple pleasure of tracking it. Corvettes are fine too, but lack the little bits of refinement that you might be looking for. More of a 'stratocaster' to a 'stradivarius'.
Surely all the BMW products (audi, lexus, cadillac, honda, and hyundai too) would be of a higher quality on the surface, but the brakes, drivetrain and other important driving bits on those cars are arguably inferior to the 997. I guess it depends on what you use to judge quality...I would say that most cars on the market have the surface appearance of being higher quality than the p-cars, until you put a couple of miles on them at the track and then you see where some of the cash went. If you never track your car, you will never notice the depth of the cars quality! (so drive the car with Gusto...)

Old 10-16-2009, 02:24 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Audi R8

Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mickfluff

That said, on this topic, used a price range of 60-70K what car would you explore buying besides a Porsche in the used car market. (nothing to old)
Originally Posted by 07speed
Audi R8

If you have an R-8 in that price range I will take it...!

All joking aside...I am not sure there will be something that will give you what you are looking for in that price range.....
And if it is in that price range...miles will be high and maintenance may become an issue?
For me(I know this is NOT for everyone)...if I didn't have the Porsche I probably would buy another NSX and turbo charge it again....but that is just me,LOL!
The cost of ownership on that car is cheap compared to others......and with the aftermarket turbo upgrade......would probably keep up too and handle better than a few listed above!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 10-16-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
RED05CS is infamous around these parts
Aston Martin Vantage, BMW M6, Mercedes SL55

Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Rather than spending equal or more money to have less than my first choice (porsche) I would spend less money to have bang for the buck performance and buy a Gtr.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
a bit more....like $80K

MB CLK 63 AMG Black Series......ask Tony Kanaan. He has this, a 997GT3, F430, E46 M3 (with 700 HP) and the one he drives most......MB CLK63 BS.

Last edited by amerlemans; 10-16-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
60 to 70 k, stay with the 911. if you can swing more $, used TT, used R8, used GT3 can be had in the 90+ range.

forget about the rest. they are not sports cars, just cruisers.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Believe it or not I have my eye on the new Mustang. With a 5.0L V8 DOHC motor and 400hp on 87 octane fuel and the track pack has me wondering. The new Shelby GT500 with the FRPP Al. block has me wondering as well. You can have 600rwhp with just an exhaust and pulley upgrade.

Otherwise keeping my SY beauty..

Dave

Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
987s. w/ DFI and LSD

Old 10-16-2009, 06:09 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
thanks....

Funny, 02+NSX was my car of choice but back seats for the family made me go with the 997..... GTR, well for Godzilla I was signing the papers on my 997 at the dealer when the Nissan dealer got back to me via cell phone with a best and final offer of $7500 over invoice and I passed... I was willing to buy one at MSRP or even +2500 over but they would not budge.

Also interesting someone noted a new mustang..... what a great job they did with the new one, and have to smile every time I see a new SRT8 Charger, strap a supercharger on one and you have a real live Snot Rod as my son would say...(have to have watched the move Cars to understand that.....) Never thought i would buy amewrica retro car but find myself doing a double take when ever I see one cruise by...(in camaro has to be the SS w/stripes, for the charger the SRT8 and so on...Mustang a saleen or Roush...GT500 etc...)

I waffle on what to get next... if I sell the 997 it would be another 997 but looking for something in addition to.....few Masartis GS have shown at some car rallies and liked the car, and admire the Grant Tourismo's lines... hard to beat the styling of a AM but again fear with such cars will come head aches and for a premium in $ for a used car and possibly no warranty may have to look for something else as suggested by others so far...

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.... as far as R8, that could be the perfect call and have often thought of this car as a 997 replacement, audi dealership availbility, solid build, great looks and performance etc... if it was 75K it would be in my driveway already... 110K-115K used for a decent low mileage car is what I have seen, besides the $ it covers all other things...

Last edited by mickfluff; 10-16-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Aston Martin.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM
black series

CLK63 AMG, not a bad suggestion.... 08 low miles can be had for 70K

Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
2 easy answers

First, the Vette is the most bang for the buck whether you like it or hate it. Second, and what would be my first choice, is the Noble M400; drove a used one last January and it's a 2400# rocket, relatively cheap if you can find one, relatively easy to maintain, and has that "bling" factor.

Last edited by tejoe; 10-16-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Vegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to behold
I know a black series that's for sale here in Vegas if anyone is interested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What else besides a 997?