997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
Alright, at 9:04pm EDT I got the first injector out. Fuel spilling out, but what a satisfying smell!

Not sure how the heck I am going to get the furthest ones out, let alone any of them on the driver's side. It takes digital dexterity and strength.

Back to it, posting pics later. Keep the good mojo flowin'!
CATTMAN
Trust me you will find a way...I started with the hardest side,LOL!

As far as the smell of fuel.......YUP GREAT smell!
BTW....you may have found an easy way to clean the dirt/grit from your hands...FUEL,LOL!

Your arms will look like you have been scrappin' with a cat,LOL!!!

GL,

Stacy

Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
9:10pm, 2 injectors are out!
CATTMAN

Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
9:12pm got 3 out!
CATTMAN

Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
9:10pm, 2 injectors are out!
CATTMAN
1 hour and 20 mins for all of them in and out for me....!

This was suppose to be the hardest part,they said,but NOT for me....I guess there is something to be said for 'small' hands,LOL!

Stacy

Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, getting the injectors out was fine.
Getting them back into the fuel rail was a challenge, but doable.
However, getting them all seats- nope, struck out tonight.

However, since I got SOOO much done, I was totally fine to leave it alone and finish it during my next session.

So, with all the lines done, the pump in, and the injectors 25% done, I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Tonight I worked VERY casually, stopping to go online, eat, snack, sit for a few mins, from 6:30-11pm, so the total is now up to 19 hours.

Between working from 8-5, then turning the wrench an hour from home until midnight, I've not been the husband or father I want to be, so tomorrow at home would be a good idea.

In terms of difficulty? Well, it's certainly a challenging thing to undertake by yourself, with no lift, as a first-timer. I cannot recommend this as a DIY for everyone, to be sure. But if you really enjoy the journey more than the arrival, then there's really nothing preventing you from doing it.

Thanks, guys, for all the encouragement- I sure needed it!
CATTMAN

Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Well, getting the injectors out was fine.
Getting them back into the fuel rail was a challenge, but doable.
However, getting them all seats- nope, struck out tonight.

However, since I got SOOO much done, I was totally fine to leave it alone and finish it during my next session.

So, with all the lines done, the pump in, and the injectors 25% done, I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Tonight I worked VERY casually, stopping to go online, eat, snack, sit for a few mins, from 6:30-11pm, so the total is now up to 19 hours.

Between working from 8-5, then turning the wrench an hour from home until midnight, I've not been the husband or father I want to be, so tomorrow at home would be a good idea.

In terms of difficulty? Well, it's certainly a challenging thing to undertake by yourself, with no lift, as a first-timer. I cannot recommend this as a DIY for everyone, to be sure. But if you really enjoy the journey more than the arrival, then there's really nothing preventing you from doing it.

Thanks, guys, for all the encouragement- I sure needed it!
CATTMAN

Great job! Not sure I would try it myself. I envy your enthusiasm

Jim

Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Does anyone have any good suggestions on:
-how to best seat the injectors while they're in the fuel rail? Stacy said he used some kind of special lubricant which is engine safe?
-how to remove the black plastic wire hireness entirely from the fuel rail?

Thanks!
CATTMAN

Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
-how to best seat the injectors while they're in the fuel rail? Stacy said he used some kind of special lubricant which is engine safe?

Thanks!
CATTMAN
Your posts scare the $hit out of me man and I`m not afraid of most DIY work usually... Make sure you know what you`re doing there.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanks!
CATTMAN
Cattman,

The fuel rail is held at the very back with a zap strap/wire tie which goes around the harness and plastic holder.Get a light and wire cutters and be careful NOT to JUST cut the strap!

Stacy

Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Your posts scare the $hit out of me man and I`m not afraid of most DIY work usually... Make sure you know what you`re doing there.
I had NO idea what I was doing when I did this install for myself.The only thing I had ever done to a car before this was an oil change and front brake pads....and that wasn't even a Porsche and I ended up fine!

Time and patience always wins in the end!

Stacy

Old 01-20-2010, 05:01 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about

Thanks!
CATTMAN
For the injector ring lube, I've always seem to seen that using a very light weight motor oil (5w-30, non-synthetic) is good. Will not swell the o-rings when seating. Just an ever-so-slight wipe on them.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
For the injector ring lube, I've always seem to seen that using a very light weight motor oil (5w-30, non-synthetic) is good. Will not swell the o-rings when seating. Just an ever-so-slight wipe on them.
Cattman,

This is GREAT advice and will work!

Stacy

Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
You alright?
Wondering IF you managed to get your hand stuck putting the drivers side injectors in and NEED help!
Should I call 911.....let me know by yelling!

Stacy

UPDATE......?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I think Cattman said he was taking a day off to spendit with the wife and kids.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Well tonight I started around 7, and ended around 10, again working very casually, stopping to go online, take pics, make a couple of calls, and eat dinner.

And I managed to resolved everything that was up in the air:

-corrected the issue of the hose to the front radiator on the driver's side by trimming it about a 1.5" so that the bent end, coming out of the tank, turns quickly, then down below and into the front of the car.

-removed the fitting on the front end of the driver's side crank case vent tube. This was not easy! When Stacy did it, he said he used a small screwdriver and some silicone lubricant. I suppose since my car is older, that hose was far too brittle to pry, so I used a hair dryer and a hose pick. I let the tube heat up really hot, so that it softened considerably, then I used a hose pick to get into the end, worked it all the way around the circumference, and was able to slowly twist it until it came out.

-seated the injectors on the passenger side! Woohooo!

-reattached the plastic wire harness holder, zip tied it back in place, and bolted down the fuel rail.

-removed the ECU, so I can FedEx it to VF-E tomorrow for reprogramming.

-reattached the horn/ horn bracket to the passenger side front bumper reinforcement.

Questions:
-The air intake temp sensor that I removed to access the fuel rail on the passenger side, how is it held in place? Looks like it just sits in the open, held by a round rubber grommet, but doesn't actually go inserted anywhere, is that right? If so, it would seem to be only measuring ambient temp back in the engine bay?
-Does anyone have any photos of where they ran the line from the pump up and over the transmission, and where/ how they secured it? I want to make sure I don't interfere with the gear linkage, and that's right above the pump.

Taking tomorrow off, and will be back at it first thing on Saturday, all day. So far, total working hours is up to 22.5 hours. I think about half or more of those have been spent "figuring things out", which means they could be eliminated if I ever did this again.

Left to do:
-remove stock injectors on driver's side
-install new larger injectors on driver's side
-install intercooler, fill lines with 50/50 peak lifetime, and test integrity by hooking up the pump to an external battery. If it's all working, I can reattach the wheel well liners, side radiator shroud, front bumper, headlights, and underpanels.
-begin mounting the SuperCharger, oil sharing plumbing, new air line, and belt.
-change oil and filter
-test it with my durametric to ensure good AF ratios and temps, etc.

There's light at the end of the tunnel!
CATTMAN

PS I've never even changed my oil or brake pads before. I've done mostly basic stuff, like mufflers, headers, cats, SSK, Dension, etc. Never done anything remotely this complicated or involved. My father once told me that I am not "mechanically inclined." He was wrong.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Cattman; 01-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman