997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSM Failure anybody else have this problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Luiey is infamous around these parts
PSM Failure anybody else have this problem

I've just put a new battery into my 997 and once i started the vehicle. A message came up and said PSM Failure. Does anybody know how to fix the problem or What is PSM. New guy just trying to get the bugs out

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Just drive about 1/4 mile and it will reset itself.

PSM = Porsche Suspension Mgmt.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Luiey
I've just put a new battery into my 997 and once i started the vehicle. A message came up and said PSM Failure. Does anybody know how to fix the problem or What is PSM. New guy just trying to get the bugs out

Thanks.
PSM stands for Porsche Stability Management.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Luiey

Thanks.
always happens after loss of power and goes away in 20 sec as you start driving.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Luiey is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the help. I'll try it later and let you know.

Great forum appreciate all the help

Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
My tire shop does high-speed on-car wheel balancing and every time I pick it up, the PSM failure message goes crazy. PSM doesn't like having one wheel spun while the rest are stationary - freaks out the computer.

But yes, it goes away in no time once you drive the car to re-assure it everything is normal.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Yeah I had PSM failure at 135mph going into NASCAR turn 4 at Daytona. Keep it under 125mph on issues. Porsche dealer can't figure it out! On a flat track I have no issues.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:58 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
Happens on the dyno also

Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I experienced this in 2005 on my first test drive when the 997 first came out. The PSM failure warning came on after 10 minutes of drivng. When turned off and re-started, the car was OK. I have not experieinced this yet with my 2008 Carrera yet.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah I had PSM failure at 135mph going into NASCAR turn 4 at Daytona. Keep it under 125mph on issues. Porsche dealer can't figure it out! On a flat track I have no issues.

Are you using PSM on the track? After my first day at Fontana, I disengaged PSM before going out. My lap times dropped, and the car was a lot more fun in the corners.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pcs
Are you using PSM on the track? After my first day at Fontana, I disengaged PSM before going out. My lap times dropped, and the car was a lot more fun in the corners.
At Daytona it does not matter if PSM is on or off...still get PSM failure ont eh 31 degree banks at speeds over 130+mph.

I can turn PSM on or off on my 09 Carrera S and really not notice to much of difference. PSM is very relaxed when my car is in Sport Plus mode. If the car is driven smoothly and correctly PSM will not interfear. Trail braking, throttle steer ect no issues with PSM being on. Porsche has improved PSM and relaxed it a lot on the 09-10 cars with Sport Plus mode.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
On mine ('06 C4S) the difference was gigantic on the slower turns. With PSM on, I could not get the back end out and was getting major throttle cuts, etc. when trying to exit. After my first day, my instructer suggested PSM off, and it was a totally different car - much easier to control with the throttle, and faster times. I was entering Turn 1 at about 150, but the banking at Fontana is "only" 14 degrees - I can't imagine what 31 degrees must be like.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 PM
no-sub is infamous around these parts
Smile PSM / Sport Mode 997 failure on power loss

Thanks everyone for your posts. I had a 5 year old OEM battery finally give out an when I replaced it, I got PSM and sport mode failure warnings.
I had assumed I had to go to the dealer to (pay) and reset something in the electrical system. After reading the posts detailing how these warnings reset, I indeed went out for a quick spin and alas, reset and no more warnings. Everything back to normal.
Best Regards,
Bill
12-15-10

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Why not connect a battery maintainer or even a 9V battery to the cigarette lighter plug while the battery is changed and avoid all memory loss?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 AM
no-sub is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up No knowledge

I was not aware of methods to retain power to car while changing battery. I'll seek advice in future maintenance issues.
Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSM Failure anybody else have this problem