997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

engine swap - what should I concerned about

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
engine swap - what should I concerned about

I had posted another thread about some issues I was having, turns out they will replace the engine. I am not sure that I fully get the issue, but one of the cylinders had scarring and had oil leaking. I have heard about RMS and IMS problems but I dont fully understand and dont think it is the same.

It is great that the engine is being replaces (2010 CS2), but the car only had 2500 miles on it. From the descitption above are there other parts of the car that should be checked? ECU, oxegenators? anything before or after the engine?

I am also curious on how well a new engine is put in? It cant be as good as at the factory?

Any thoughts would be great... I am half interested in giving them the keys and asking for my money back. Fluke or not, there seems to be a lot of engine failure talk for various reasons.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
911 engines are very easy to be swapped. Dealers do it every day. It is a very simple process.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Years ago your engine would have been taken apart and the parts would be replaced by the dealer, now they just replace the engine.

The engines are rebuilt by Porsche and then ready to reinstall into another car, the dealer involvement is very limited and there isn't too much too worry about.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I suppose it's a catch-22

Not really, but I couldn't resist. Anyway, I don't know much about this stuff, but I wonder if for a 2010 with such low miles, if you should demand a new engine vs the typical remanufactured solution that Porsche provides.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 AM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
Don't worry.
The dealer recently put a new engine in my 05 S. Under CPO warranty.
Some washer in the engine broke and messed everything up. It was not the IMS bearing.
Porsche covered it with a remanufactured engine with 0 miles on it.
It's been about a month and 900 miles. I'm dying to get past the break-in period!

I've had no issues and it sure is nice to have a brand new engine in a 5 year old car.

These things are rare. You and I just got the short end of the stick. A new engine will make it right and the problems are in the past.

Good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
Lemon ask for new car..............

Old 10-30-2010, 01:59 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jack667

Not really, but I couldn't resist. Anyway, I don't know much about this stuff, but I wonder if for a 2010 with such low miles, if you should demand a new engine vs the typical remanufactured solution that Porsche provides.
It is not likely that remanufactured engines are even available yet, as the engine is so new in it's production cycle.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by markar
Lemon ask for new car..............
It is possible that this was due to a piece of metal in the oil, I would hardly call it a lemon at this point.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:06 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
Even if it was a lemon engine he's getting a new one.
The numbers won't match on the certificate of authenticity, but a 2010 C2S won't be a collector's item for a very long time.
The dealer will have all the paperwork needed to prove it to the next owner that the engine was replaced properly.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
A true catch

Originally Posted by Jack667

Not many people get thst one. Nce catch.

As for the engine it will be a brand new one. Shot happens I guess. Yes it wont match but agree with the thoughts from everyone, it wont hurt value.

Frankly they are being super nice about it.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
I think It will hurt the value Its not original engine only 2500 km i will think twice when buy that car used.... sorry