997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche World Road Show

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Mojo31 is infamous around these parts
Porsche World Road Show

Spent the day at the Dallas stop of the Porsche World Road Show. Drove a Cayman R and Boxster S on the autocross course, and Carrera, and Carrera S, Carrera 4S coupe and cab on the road course. All cars were PDK. Event was held at the Texas Motor Speedway. While I didn't spend much time with the camera, of course, I did manage a few snapshots.

5. Me being artsy:

Really fun day, and best of all free! Of course, they expect you to buy a car when you are done.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
I did this at the Palm Beach International Raceway. It was a great event! Our event also added a Carrera GTS to the string of Carreras. It was the only car that was a stick, and unfortunately the clutch didn't last... ...it died around mid-day.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I so wanted to go to the Dallas event, but had a guys golf trip in South Texas instead. Given the crazy winds, I should have stayed here and attended the Porsche event instead!

It looks like there is a GTS (with Aerocup spoiler) at the end of the line of 911s in one of those pics. I picked mine up today (6-spd) and absolutely LOVE it. It's my version of the perfect 911!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
They did have a GTS in the second line of 911s. My group had a cab C4S. Luck of the draw.

PDKs in all cars. Makes some sense in different ways for this type of event.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Cabinetman is infamous around these partsCabinetman is infamous around these parts
I was at this event as well. My dad and I were in the 9:30 group on Saturday.

We had a blast. I got lucky and got in the second group out on the big track so I got to drive the GTS. One of the instructors got on to us for falling back in the GTS because we wanted some space to wind the car out a bit. Overall it was a great time and definitely worth a few hours of my Saturday.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Flip is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cabinetman
I was at this event as well. My dad and I were in the 9:30 group on Saturday.

We had a blast. I got lucky and got in the second group out on the big track so I got to drive the GTS. One of the instructors got on to us for falling back in the GTS because we wanted some space to wind the car out a bit. Overall it was a great time and definitely worth a few hours of my Saturday.

What were your impressions of the GTS?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Cabinetman is infamous around these partsCabinetman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Flip
What were your impressions of the GTS?
I really like the GTS. The sport seats were great even if they are a little hard to get in and out of. Also, the sport exhaust gave the car a more menacing sound compared to the other 911s in my group. The power difference didn't feel huge compared to the C2S we drove, but you could definitely tell it pulled with a little more urgency in the mid-range. I also felt like the GTS was better a putting down the power coming out of corners.

The thing that impressed me the most about all these cars was the PDK. I don't have much track experience so I put all the cars I drove into Sport+ and let the tranny do the shifting. I loved how the PDK held gears right up to redline, gave nice engine braking during deceleration and didn't do any spooky downshifts mid corner. It was a real plus for a novice like myself because I could focus on where I was going without worrying about what gear I needed to be in.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Cabinetman
The thing that impressed me the most about all these cars was the PDK. I don't have much track experience so I put all the cars I drove into Sport+ and let the tranny do the shifting. I loved how the PDK held gears right up to redline, gave nice engine braking during deceleration and didn't do any spooky downshifts mid corner. It was a real plus for a novice like myself because I could focus on where I was going without worrying about what gear I needed to be in.
I did the same thing. I have a PDK car, but this was the first time I've had the chance to really open one of these cars up in Sport +.

We were there at 2:00 on Saturday. What surprised me was that they were running cars with less than the 2,000 miles for breakin. The cars I drove had about 1,000 miles on them, and they were definitely being driven to the redline. It also surprised me that they said the cars had had one or more tire changes that weekend in such a short lifetime.

I wonder what happens to those cars. Do they go to the dealers to be sold later in life as former PCNA cars that are CPO'd?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mojo31
We were there at 2:00 on Saturday. What surprised me was that they were running cars with less than the 2,000 miles for breakin. The cars I drove had about 1,000 miles on them, and they were definitely being driven to the redline. It also surprised me that they said the cars had had one or more tire changes that weekend in such a short lifetime.

I wonder what happens to those cars. Do they go to the dealers to be sold later in life as former PCNA cars that are CPO'd?
I wondered the same thing. I'm guessing when they are done the cars will be sold at auction and not CPOed considering the life they currently lead. I'm not saying they won't hold up due to track use, but I don't know if Porsche would want to take any chances. Maybe they will get shipped to
Alabama to join the driving school fleet.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I was curious because I looked at a car a while ago that was a "PCNA demo" prior to ending up on a dealer lot as a CPO'd car. It even had a history of some over-revs, but not too bad, making me think it had been around a track once or twice.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
299moto is infamous around these parts
I'm signed up for the Socal event in 2 weeks.
Can't wait.
How much seat time did you get?
Was it on track or just autoX style?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by 299moto
I'm signed up for the Socal event in 2 weeks.
Can't wait.
How much seat time did you get?
Was it on track or just autoX style?
We got to do both track and auto X. My group went first to the auto X course and spent an hour driving Caymans and Boxsters with an instructor on board. We got two laps at a time and then had to get back in line to drive a different car. We then spent another hour on the track driving four different n/a 997s in a follow the leader format. Each driver got two laps and then would switch with their passenger and ride shotgun for two laps. After both people had driven the car you moved onto the next 997 in line. It wasn't a ton of wheel time, but still fun and definitely worth the price of admission.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Wink

My session was the same and ended up with 2 laps in each of the Boxster S and Cayman R, and 8 laps per driver in 4 Carrera varients (2 laps per car).

We then went to check out the 3 Lambos and a Ferrari whose owners came to drive real cars for a bit.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:59 PM
997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough
Can't wait until Thursday for the event for me. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
nicegsxr is infamous around these parts
No GTS in the LA show, the tracktime was really short (1 lap each driver) and could have been longer.. had a great time in the C2S and C4S.... the autocross had the Spyder but again really short and nothing exciting really. I think they need to do much more to sell their cars but then again in LA everyone has a 911 haha so maybe they feel they dont need to go that far??? So imho the LA show is kinda disappointing especially in 100 degree heat today haha.

Last edited by nicegsxr; 05-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche World Road Show