997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Taken delivery of a 2011 GTS...quirks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
Cool

----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Those are awful traits. Get rid of it ASAP and move on. Life is too short to accept that design.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM
lonewolfdj has a spectacular aura aboutlonewolfdj has a spectacular aura about
I've also wondered about the honking sound when locking the doors. I also find myself double checking. I've also been wondering if there is a control to set the brightness of the gauges and lcd screen. I couldn't find anything but haven't had time to scour the manual. I've got an 09.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Got it about a week ago, it's a carrera white so it's gotten a bit dirty - I hope to have some pictures up after I wash it.

I'll cut to the chase - I've noticed some quirks about the car, which I think would really detract from the car in the long run. Don't get me wrong, the car is still great fun,

The Porsche Alarm. Any way to add a distinguishable beep or something? Do I really have to look in the window/at the window/pull the door lever to check?
Spending 2 seconds x 3 times getting out of the car each day = 6 x 365 seconds = 2200 seconds / 60s = over half an hour spent each year. Just watching my car lock itself. WTF

PDK shift lever. I am very used to SMG and still have a tendency to accidentally downshift in the Porsche. It only makes sense to reverse the buttons - on acceleration, you get pushed back, so it's more natural to pull the lever back. On braking, you lurch forward, etc. Any way to remap the buttons?

Spoiler - even the dealership staff was ragging on the engineers who designed the "hold button to lower" function. Any way to close it with 1 touch?

Brake dust - 2 weeks of light driving and the wheels are absolutely covered in dust. Anyway to avoid this? PCCB isn't an option - maybe different pads down the line?

Gas stops filling before full tank - I'm guessing the nozzle isn't sitting right when the gas cap doesn't fit on the side of the car. I've found the upside down nozzle "trick" on this forum, but does know if its possible to make a simple adapter/spacer as a fix, to let the nozzle sit properly? Where/how is the sensor being triggered?

On another note, I'm thinking about getting the aerokit wing (is this same as GT3 wing?) I've seen AeroKit Cup as a factory option for about $3500, while Suncoast sells the kit for about $3900. Anyone can point me to where I can find it with Porsche/other sellers?
You almost sound like you hate the car.
The PDK paddles/lever takes some time to get use to how it works. I've had my car for a month and I'm already feeling more comfortable using the levers.
The brake dust is normal to have accumulate in your wheels. No PCCB, then you have to live with certain amount of annoyance. It annoys me as well, but you just need to get a regular wash in once a week.
The gas issue is very easy to work around it. Turn the nozzle up and it works. Porsche has an adapter that they place to get rid of the stop and go issue.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Those are awful traits. Get rid of it ASAP and move on. Life is too short to accept that design.
agree that's all you found so far

Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
The key is also on the 'wrong' side and the engine is in the 'wrong' place.

These are all features of a Porsche. You need to adapt. Then other cars will seem backward.

You can swap out the PDK button style steering wheel for one with shift paddles. That will fix one issue. There is an awesome alcantara one available for the GTS.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
The Porsche Alarm. Any way to add a distinguishable beep or something? Do I really have to look in the window/at the window/pull the door lever to check?
Spending 2 seconds x 3 times getting out of the car each day = 6 x 365 seconds = 2200 seconds / 60s = over half an hour spent each year. Just watching my car lock itself. WTF
There is a module you can buy. It is an aftermarket piece that is also used for the convertible called smart top (I think). The only problem is it might void the warranty.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
This car is a POS take it back to your dealer for full refund! LOL

The GTS PDK comes with a paddle shift steering wheel. Use it instead of the shift lever.

You can remove the lightblulb in the glove compartment and that will trigger the alarm to beep. The lights flash so look at those and you'll know if you locked it.

Brake dust huh? It's not just Porsche...welcome to German cars!

Why are you messing with the rear spolier?....it goes up when it needs to and down when it needs to. Don't be a punk posuer and drive around with the spoiler up all the time.

Never had a issue with fueling my car...not sure why you are having fueling issues.

I order my GTS with Aero kit. I track a lot and can use the downforce. The OEM Porssche kit is nice but Getty Designs sells good aero bits too...hope this helps!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
quirk = a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality

not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

some things u can change.. somethings u can't.. but none seems detrimental to the GTS ownership.

The Porsche Alarm - get a smartop module

PDK shift lever - u'll get used to it

Spoiler - just leave it alone.. or get a fixed wing.

Brake dust - get used to it or find a alternate brake pads

Gas stops filling before full tank - turn 90 deg sideways.

Aerokit wing - search.. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/search.php

BOL

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
quirk = a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality

not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

some things u can change.. somethings u can't.. but none seems detrimental to the GTS ownership.

The Porsche Alarm - get a smartop module

PDK shift lever - u'll get used to it

Spoiler - just leave it alone.. or get a fixed wing.

Brake dust - get used to it or find a alternate brake pads

Gas stops filling before full tank - turn 90 deg sideways.

Aerokit wing - search.. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/search.php

BOL
Nah! He should sell the car ASAP and move on to greener grass.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Dude,

You forgot about the issue that the damn clock doesn't switch for daylight savings automatically (you have to manually tell it to switch twice a year via the PCM menu).

Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
A few points -

1) I got the Champion paddles . I prefer them over the OEM buttons and even prefer them over the OEM paddles because it allows me to retain my multi function steering choices .

2) The alarm "beep" . It's not a BMW with the chirp . Even a Honda beeps. No big deal .

3) Brake dust ... It's like this with all German cars . PCCB woild have been a worthwhile option if you really didn't want it.

4) Spoiler .. just leave it alone . I have yet to figure out why some guys like titillating themselves by raising and loweuing it manually.

5) Fuel stop -- try adjusting the pump lever .

6) Aerokit .. Compared to the current Gt3 aerokit the 997.2 OEM kit I feel is awful . It almost looks like they didn't even bother to change the old 997.1 taco chip style and the new gt3 in contrast is amazing . I left mine bare stock with no aerokit . My opinion .. save your money . If you are already not thrilled then this car may only be a short term vehicle.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I'll take that 'POS' off your hands for $50K sight unseen! (LOL)

Last edited by AP 997S; 07-12-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-12-2011, 03:06 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
Dude,

You forgot about the issue that the damn clock doesn't switch for daylight savings automatically (you have to manually tell it to switch twice a year via the PCM menu).

mine doesn't even have auto headlights off.. i gotta do it manually.. every fricken time..

Spending 3 seconds x 2 times a night turning off the damn lights = 6 x 365 seconds = 2200 seconds / 60s = over half an hour spent each year..

i could have taken a big crap instead.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Lemon GTS ?

Take it back, why be annoyed, and why even have a key ?

OP: just try and enjoy the new tool.

Quote:
The key is also on the 'wrong' side and the engine is in the 'wrong' place.

Euro autos spec the braking for use on higher-speed highways and many use metallic compound brake pads. Others use ceramic compound brake pads, which create less dust – but can be less responsive in repeated high speed braking and can fade.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taken delivery of a 2011 GTS...quirks!