997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

iPad mini on the 997

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Jealous meter definitely over the scale!! How do you control then volume? I think you mentioned before something about a remote? I'm done using my NavTV module and would like to do this mod....when you get the DIY list and parts...I may just have to do this. I may stay with the stock color or the console, but our job is top notch!!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
The results looks fantastic. Any thoughts on this wiring harness & price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-PORSCH...-/221177819176

Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
volume is controlled thru the iPad interface... I may do some **** control in the future...
the wiring harness I got is from euromotorspeed and it did cost me $20. I didn't need the fiber optics or the antenna adapter. pretty satisfied so far!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Joel,

Can't wait to see it in person. I'm getting ready for an audit at work but I'll give you a call after next week and maybe we can meet for lunch. If so, I'm going to bring a coworker who recently bought a 2006 C2 cab for you to meet.

Jeff

P.S. Rep points deserved and given!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
hi Jeff!

for sure my friend! let me know and we work something out!
thanks again!

joel

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Joe, your project turned out great!

I had some time this past weekend to make a bit of progress on my own iPad mini install (996 MkII).

A few prototype pictures...

In this particular install, the only OE part I've had had to cut/modify is the horseshoe bezel. I always like the option of returning everything to 100% stock, and the bezel is only about $60. It looks like it just dropped in, but it actually took a fair amount of trimming on the bezel to get it to fit properly. It is now sandwiched quite tightly between the bezel and the radio/AC support plate, no play or movement. It's not designed to be removable (updates over wifi or through USB cable), but pulling the horseshoe bezel is pretty easy if I do need to remove the entire iPad for service.

By the way, your suggestion of ordering a cheap Chinese iPhone dock and cannibalizing it for a 90 degree cable connector was a great idea! I ordered one and pulled out the little ribbon cable with connectors on it from the part. It turns out that I don't need it though. With this current mount, plenty of room for a hidden conventional lightning cable.

Attached Images         

Last edited by pfbz; 01-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 AM
awesome! that looks perfect!
btw, it's pretty funny that I have the same glock mat that I use to work on my desk!

keep up the good work and let us see more pictures once you install!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
johnnyamerica is infamous around these parts
wow finally saw your finished project. Haven't checked back in a while. Seriously my top pick of DIY customs I have seen so far on this board. This looks so OEM it's amazing.

Congrats and now to only dream.

This or LED lighting front/back... hmmm

Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Finally done and working perfectly... Thanks to bumperplugs for the great job on the painted trim!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Wow, thanks for the kind words... it took a while to get all the parts in order but soooooo happy now!

Joel

Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Dadz911 is infamous around these parts
What a great job! Looks stock too. I bet you are loving having all those great features now! I wish I had the ba**s to try these kind of DIY's. You are a brave and talented Man.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Um, just stumbled upon the tail of this thread. Are you bonkers? You are removing the stock PCM and installing an iPad mini it's place? What are you thinking?
It's flipping marvelous!!! I imagine its 4G, using the car's power, so no need to remove it for the most part. Easily replaceable if required. You have stumbled upon an entirely new market opportunity.

Brilliant!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Apple should thank you joel, or at least give you a complimentary product, like maybe a new iphone 5. You have managed to create a need for the apple mini

Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Ok so what about a Nexus 7? or droid based platform? Again my biggest fear is the battery drain. The nice thing about the Android based is you can grab an angled usb anywhere the only issue I can see is the power button but you can build one into the bezel fairly easy as Joe has shown.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM
The battery power from the car, comes with the switch on from the ignition. When the car is off, the iPad is running from its own power.
Anything similar shaped tablet will be able to fit into that space.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
This is a little video i made:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad mini on the 997