997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 PDK Aftermarket Exhaust Vibration....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
997.2 PDK Aftermarket Exhaust Vibration....

Looking for any info on this, I know it's been a topic in the past, but the vibration from my sharkwerks cross over pipes are about to drive me nuts, I feel like it's rattling things loose on the interior and causing more noise as time goes on...

I am curious to know what, if any aftermarket exhaust set ups (mufflers + primary muffler delete pipes) are NOT causing any abnormal vibrations at idle, in drive.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Sharkwerks rear center delete on my '11' GTS with PDK. I had some vibrations at first. I loosened the connections and then tightened everything making sure no pipes touched. After that the vibration went away.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
I have an 09' 997.2 and the Sharkwerks team installed their bypass along with some other work for me and have had no vibrations to date as reported on their website and on other threads here where the bypass is involved. No aftermarket exhaust just the bypass and fistered' mufflers in my setup.

This weekend my mechanic friend riding with me pointed out that there is an unusual vibration that he did noticed. This seems to be a different type of vibration, where the car while in Drive or Reverse, and for a brief moment after I release the brake pedal; the vibration is observed for a slight moment as the car transitions from standstill and moves (even before any gas pedal acceleration). It is so brief that I never noticed it until he pointed it out to me..not sure if this is another variation of the vibration associated with the bypass or just a whole different issue in itself.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vg247
I have an 09' 997.2 and the Sharkwerks team installed their bypass along with some other work for me and have had no vibrations to date as reported on their website and on other threads here where the bypass is involved. No aftermarket exhaust just the bypass and fistered' mufflers in my setup.

This weekend my mechanic friend riding with me pointed out that there is an unusual vibration that he did noticed. This seems to be a different type of vibration, where the car while in Drive or Reverse, and for a brief moment after I release the brake pedal; the vibration is observed for a slight moment as the car transitions from standstill and moves (even before any gas pedal acceleration). It is so brief that I never noticed it until he pointed it out to me..not sure if this is another variation of the vibration associated with the bypass or just a whole different issue in itself.

that's the vibration that i have. it is noticable only when standstill and when in gear. nothing crazy. It might bother some people but i am fine with it.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
It doesn't seem to bother me so much alone, but when my wife is in the car saying "what have you done to this prefectly good car" lol... Additionally, like I said, I feel like it's adding to the interior rattles over time.

I'm looking to get a set of mufflers, was considering a matching set whether it's the Fabspeed maxflows w/ x-pipe, FVD Brombacher, Cargraphic, Tubi...etc. Just trying to determine if they all cause this issue or just a few.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !
I've seen it on other aftermarket exhausts on the 2009+ models as well, only on PDK and on a small percentage of the cars, and only at idle speed in D gear, with the foot on the brake at a stoplight etc. I believe it's due to the 9A1's DFI system, how it pulses at idle, in combination with the low idle speed. Even then it's very subtle.

Going to a louder setup w/ different side mufflers might help eliminate it, and I have not seen it at all on cars with the PSE system.

If you wanted to keep the system you have, we can also bump the idle speed by 50 RPM or so, which will eliminate the vibration. We can do this for a discount rate, or the normal full tune shown on our site (which adds another 12 WHP and makes the throttle response quicker). PM me if you'd like more help.

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 04-30-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kouzman
that's the vibration that i have. it is noticable only when standstill and when in gear. nothing crazy. It might bother some people but i am fine with it.
Thanks, doesn't bother me either however, actually the vibration my friend pointed out is when the car is in gear (drive or reverse) then once I release the brake from a stop as the car comes to a roll, that's when the vibration is observed very briefly, then goes away once the car speeds up.

My only concern is whether this may be some other underlying issue?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:16 PM
DallasDave is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
I'm looking to get a set of mufflers, was considering a matching set whether it's the FVD Brombacher. Just trying to determine if they all cause this issue or just a few.
Enjoy my FVD set-up. Cold starts are pretty loud, but once warmed up beautiful music. Especially at WOT. No rattles, knocks, etc.

Had the Fabspeed crossover with no issue either.

Good luck,

Dave

Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I've never had an issue with an FVD product or their service.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Precision Auto
I agree with Dan's solution...I think that is your problem in a nutshell. Also, if the sound is bothering you now, don't add mufflers.
Well, I had the problem with my Cargraphic x-pipe only, and when I added the Cargraphic side mufflers the problem completely disappeared.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Precision Auto
I agree with Dan's solution...I think that is your problem in a nutshell. Also, if the sound is bothering you now, don't add mufflers.

It's not the sound really, that's fine, the only think I'm hearing that I don't like, is the stuff in my map pockets rattling and my door panels vibrating like hell