997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dirty Throttle Body - AOS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 PM
hibble is infamous around these parts
Dirty Throttle Body - AOS?

I replaced my intake with a EVOMS CAI this weekend and noticed that theres a fair bit of grime on my throttle body. I was pretty surprised! I've done some research and it sounds like this could be related to a failed AOS. Here's a picture I took. Does anybody think this would be a failed AOS? My car is an '05 with ~35k miles on it.

Last edited by hibble; 07-16-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM
MarcoRemius is infamous around these parts
Looks like normal carbon build up to me. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:08 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
Do you observe a white plume of smoke during your first start up in the morning?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM
There haven't been any white plumes of smoke in the morning. At least none that are big enough for me to see from inside the car.

I was thinking to spray some carb cleaner on a lint free cloth and wipe this down without removing it. Any harm in doing so? Can I manually push the butterfly valve without causing issues?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
You can remove the throttle body by removing those 4 torxs and disconnect the wires. I wouldn't move the valve.

If you didn't see any white smoke during morning start ups, then you probably still have a good Air Oil Separator.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Sounds good, thanks! I'll give this a go next weekend!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I always use CRC throttle body & intake cleaner. No it won't hurt to open the butterfly manually.I also use CRC MAF cleaner but you must remove the sensor for that.The throttle body is an easy to work on part. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
Looks fine. There are a few simple ways to test for a bad AOS.

With the engine running remove the oil filler cap. If you can't remove then the AOS is bad. If you remove it and the motor stalls there is a chance the AOS is bad also, RPMs dropping a little is fine. Put your hand over the filler neck, there should be slight vacuum, if there is a strong vacuum then new AOS time.

If you ever have the motor dropped out for other work, get the AOS changed, it's so much easier with the motor out.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Words to live by: "If it ain't broke........." Just sayin.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I like to think myself of "preventive maintenance"...

Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 PM
MarcoRemius is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
Looks like normal carbon build up to me. I don't think there's anything to worry about.
You guys worry too much about benign stuff

Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !

You mean like a benign tumor? I'd still have it removed just in case it was going to turn into something worse. Maybe it's the same with preventative maintenance. Just sayin'.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PTParks
You mean like a benign tumor? I'd still have it removed just in case it was going to turn into something worse. Maybe it's the same with preventative maintenance. Just sayin'.

"IT IS NOT A TUMOR"! name that quote

Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM

You think? Btw, tx again for pointing out my 911th post. Had a scotch w dinner to celebrate. It's the little things...

Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
No worries, have been around cars my whole life and cleaning a throttle body with spray or removing it all together and soaking in cleaner is a piece of cake!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dirty Throttle Body - AOS?