997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:21 AM
997Mike is infamous around these parts
OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft

Wondering if anyone has experience with either of these products and can provide reviews or suggestions.

I received an airbag system fault warning today and want to pick up some OBII reader to hopefully diagnose the problem. From what I can tell there are two ways to do this cheaply:
I am currently leaning towards the iCarsoft because it seems easier to use due to the fact that it does not require a laptop. However, I wonder if I will be missing any important functionality over the durametric.

**Update: Link to iCarsoft review**

Last edited by 997Mike; 10-23-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:00 PM
cool flash is infamous around these parts
I used to own a Durametric Professional 2. gen interface (original) and for me it was not worth the money. I sold it after a few months with a large loss.

If I was to buy another interface I would consider the icarsoft you listed or the autel md802. Launch x431 also offers some interfaces where you can buy software for individual makes.

Regards,

CF

Old 10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
The icarsoft looks pretty cool. I've been contemplating a dura metric but I'm a Mac guy and it's a pain to bootcamp just for that.

I get the airbag warning when I install my gt3 seat for track days.
This would hopefully be able to clear the code.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
The icarsoft looks pretty cool. I've been contemplating a dura metric but I'm a Mac guy and it's a pain to bootcamp just for that.

I get the airbag warning when I install my gt3 seat for track days.
This would hopefully be able to clear the code.
Mac guy here as well which is another reason why I am leaning towards the iCarsoft. Think I am going to just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
I ran a VMware virtual machine with Windows to deal with the Mac problem. Worked fine (Durametric that is).

Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
I have a durametric and its really too expensive for what it does. Seriously. I guess most of the guys here bought becuase of the marketing and the next porsche guy had one. But really, even for resetting service it does not even corectly do this! Someone please try that i carsoft thing and share how it does.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by slicky rick
I have a durametric and its really too expensive for what it does. Seriously. I guess most of the guys here bought becuase of the marketing and the next porsche guy had one. But really, even for resetting service it does not even corectly do this! Someone please try that i carsoft thing and share how it does.
Ordered. I will post with my findings

Old 10-15-2014, 04:24 PM
gavc is infamous around these parts
This looks interesting, I am looking for something to reset the airbag warning and enable the cd changer.
Could you let me know how it goes?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:47 AM
RS4Jay is infamous around these parts
I wish Ross-Tech made a Porsche version. Their software is MUCH better then Durametric and supports coding for $349. Durametric needs to use the same licensing model where they offer a version that does coding but is limited to a small number of VIN's so shops can't use it.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Unless I'm missing something icarsoft can't really do anything other check fault codes and maybe clear a few? If you can't us it to reset oil changes and service reminders, read dme, etc then what exactly are you doing with it? Hell my sct tuner for my F150 read cleared a check engine light from my buddy's GT3.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Wheeler
Unless I'm missing something icarsoft can't really do anything other check fault codes and maybe clear a few? If you can't us it to reset oil changes and service reminders, read dme, etc then what exactly are you doing with it? Hell my sct tuner for my F150 read cleared a check engine light from my buddy's GT3.
Good questions and I will let everyone know what I find out. Right now I am primarily looking for a way to diagnose my air bag system failure and go from there.

Coming from the tuning car scene, I would love to find a device like the Cobb Accessport I used this on my old car - it can read and clear codes, virtual dyno, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, change ecu maps (a proper ecu map took my heavily modified mazdaspeed6 from 330awhp to 410awhp)

Old 10-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by 997Mike
Good questions and I will let everyone know what I find out. Right now I am primarily looking for a way to diagnose my air bag system failure and go from there.

Coming from the tuning car scene, I would love to find a device like the Cobb Accessport I used this on my old car - it can read and clear codes, virtual dyno, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, change ecu maps (a proper ecu map took my heavily modified mazdaspeed6 from 330awhp to 410awhp)
According to Cobb's website they do have a 997.1 and 997.2 version. I can't tell if it's just for the turbo or all models.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Porsche-91...p3-por-001.htm

Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by RS4Jay
According to Cobb's website they do have a 997.1 and 997.2 version. I can't tell if it's just for the turbo or all models.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Porsche-91...p3-por-001.htm
They only have it for Turbo and GT2/3 models:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Porsche-s/70931.htm

Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 AM
LOL at the huge price premium COBB is charging the Porsche guys.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by RS4Jay
LOL at the huge price premium COBB is charging the Porsche guys.
Yeah it is definitely one of those cases where its worth whatever people will pay. That said it is an awesome piece of equipment and from what I have seen the physical device is the same no matter the application.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft