997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2006 Carrera 4S review with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire channel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:13 AM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
2006 Carrera 4S review with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire channel

I had a nice opportunity to do several interviews with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire youtube channel. enjoy!

Old 02-03-2016, 11:32 AM
epik high is infamous around these parts
Funny coincidence, I just finished writing up a thread on Rennlist about this video and came here to see if anyone had already shared it.

I'm pretty damn impressed with the intake noise coming into the cabin. Which cold air intake do you have installed? Does the plenum held with increasing intake noise as well?

Did you feel reduced torque at the lower end of the power band?

Thanks for sharing your cars with Matt so he could make those vids! I also found your commentary pretty interesting.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Very cool thanks for sharing... 997 is by far the best value in the sport car market right now it its class...

Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by epik high
Funny coincidence, I just finished writing up a thread on Rennlist about this video and came here to see if anyone had already shared it.

I'm pretty damn impressed with the intake noise coming into the cabin. Which cold air intake do you have installed? Does the plenum held with increasing intake noise as well?

Did you feel reduced torque at the lower end of the power band?

Thanks for sharing your cars with Matt so he could make those vids! I also found your commentary pretty interesting.
Thanks for watching and the kind comments... Here is my intake setup...

Engine K&N Intake Kit # 57-7000 and IPD 74mm Plenum at first and then about a year ago I switched over to the IPD 82mm Competition plenum with GT3 Throttle body.

By far the intake kit is my favorite mod I have done on my car. You can get most of this sound by just doing the intake and there are no worries about losing low end torque. In fact, throttle response feels even better. This kit helps to also eliminate the flat spot in the power curve around 5000 rpm. Dyno's show that there is actually a very healthy increase in power, about 20 hp, between 4500-6000 rpm and then maybe an extra 10-12 hp increase maintained to redline. The Ipd plenum helps to futher smooth out any flat spots and just adds a nice extra smooth delivery of power and airflow.

The K&N kit is only around $300 bucks ! worth every penny just for the noise this intake makes alone!! My only suggestion is just to buy some CRC MAF spray cleaner and every six months just give the maf a good cleaning just in case. I have never had any issues, but I do that just to be meticulous and keep things running perfectly... Hope that helps!!!

Last edited by qikqbn; 03-02-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 PM
epik high is infamous around these parts
^ It certainly does. Thanks for the details.

I also forgot to ask: Who was your person that wrapped your steering wheels? I'm sure others in this thread wanted to ask the same question.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by epik high
^ It certainly does. Thanks for the details.

I also forgot to ask: Who was your person that wrapped your steering wheels? I'm sure others in this thread wanted to ask the same question.

I have had 3 of my steering wheels custom wrapped. google search "Dallas Custom Steering Wheels" The owners name is Donald. Depending on what you want done his charges are not too bad, with a core exchange. You can add padding, thumb rests, colored stitching, and wrap the wheel however you like with different colored leather or alcantara. Search his website and you will get a lot of ideas of what he can do The combo of material, stitching, and color are all up to you. Just for reference, the custom padding on my steering wheels is called the 1/16 "Thin" padding" that adds about 1/4 inch thickness. For those with bigger hands then the 1/8 "Thick" padding that adds 1/2 inch in thickness may be more to your liking. My wife has small hands so I got the 1/16 padding and I really like it too since I am not a big guy myself. I do have the 1/8 thicker padding on my Cayenne suv steering wheel and it is thick, but a nice fit for a truck/suv. Hope that helps. they do great work!

ps, they also have different types of black leather. My latest 997 wheel was covered with "Nappa black Leather" which feels a bit grittier then my smooth black leather on my 987 cayman wrapped wheel. I like them both very much!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM
stavros is infamous around these parts
Love the sound of your car... you are totally correct it is intoxicating and I'll add, addicting!

Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
+1

Originally Posted by stavros
love the sound of your car... You are totally correct it is intoxicating and i'll add, addicting!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:42 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
no i want an intake. haha.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:28 PM
modliving is infamous around these parts
Gorgeous car. Is that the oem duck tail?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 AM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
K&n 57-7000 is listed for the 996. Did you really get a 996 intake for your 997?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
I was impressed to watch this video, by the car of course (I have the same one), but mostly by the beauty of these back roads, the peacefulness and the complete absence of cops during the test drives.

I suppose these are Californian back roads and I appreciate the freedom that you guys have driving at a sustained speed (without being crazy) free of the worries to get caught by the Speed Enforcement patrols.

Here in North Carolina, this setting is very hard to find (unless you go to the mountains) and then you run constantly into cops and cruisers. I do not know the ratio of cops per citizens in California, but in Raleigh where I live it is staggering: For a small city of 300K people, we have more than 1,000 cops.

Yves

Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 PM
PatrickBateman is infamous around these parts
Thanks for posting the VID OP. Im confused about the HP claims above...

What IPD plenum do you have? stock or GT3? Do you also have the throttle body as well?

Any tune?

I continue to be underwhelmed by my 08's power with tune, GT3 TB/plenum, Cargraphic 200 cell cats, and BMC filters....(no CAI).

Have you installed sways front and rear to correct steering issues?

I always take my TC off the moment I start the car unless its bad weather/wet roads to liven up the experience a bit, and push that rear end out as much as possible.

How many miles on your car? is that Slate Grey Metallic, or Meteor Grey?

Like the tail!!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:24 PM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
You mentioned, front bumper and side skirts, could you tell us where did you buy them!

I just bought my K&N Filter Kit, waiting to arrive!!

Many thanks and great car!

Ricardo

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I had a nice opportunity to do several interviews with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire youtube channel. enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-UzNCwk2g

Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by modliving
Gorgeous car. Is that the oem duck tail?

Getty Design Ducktail "Sport" version

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Carrera 4S review with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire channel