Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi S5 or A5 Owners. Do you have any Vibration Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:38 PM
dlr218 is infamous around these parts
Audi S5 or A5 Owners. Do you have any Vibration Issues?

I just picked up my car once again from the dealer... I am now on my second set of Dunlops and still have a Vibration issue with the car.. If the car sits for more than 5 -6 hours, everytime I get in the car, the car vibrates and the steering wheel shimmies for the first 20 minutes until the car or tires warm up. It then dissipates, but really never totally goes away. It can be felt from 62 to 70. The dealer reports on the bill that because the S5's have "High Performance" tires, that this is a "Normal Characteristic of this type of tire".. They state that, "because of the soft type of compound the tires will do this after sitting for a short period of time".

I find this to be absolutely ridiculous... I am also surprised as Audi of NA has been watching this car since the day I picked it up and the car has had this issue. I am surprised, as I can not believe that they would let a dealer make ridiculous remarks like that.. I have had many sports cars, ones with lower profiles and softer compounds than the dunlops we have on these cars. Further did it ever occur to them that it might not be the tires and possibly an inherent problem with the vehicle.. If it was the dunlops, then every car would have this issue..

Thus my question: Is anyone else who has an S5, experiencing this problem? I have only seen a few posts on other forums regarding Vibrations... If there are more people experienceing this issue, please chime in.

I love my car!! I really do. This is not a bashing.. I just want to resolve this issue and move on.. Your answers will help, as it may help to deduct whether it is really a tire issue, or maybe there is something in fact wrong with the car. Further, is there any sense to what the dealer says. Is it possible that a soft compound tire can continue to get out of round on a daily basis only after 5-6 hours??

To All: Thank you for your time and your replies!!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Blake P has a spectacular aura aboutBlake P has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dlr218
I just picked up my car once again from the dealer... I am now on my second set of Dunlops and still have a Vibration issue with the car.. If the car sits for more than 5 -6 hours, everytime I get in the car, the car vibrates and the steering wheel shimmies for the first 20 minutes until the car or tires warm up. It then dissipates, but really never totally goes away. It can be felt from 62 to 70. The dealer reports on the bill that because the S5's have "High Performance" tires, that this is a "Normal Characteristic of this type of tire".. They state that, "because of the soft type of compound the tires will do this after sitting for a short period of time".

I find this to be absolutely ridiculous... I am also surprised as Audi of NA has been watching this car since the day I picked it up and the car has had this issue. I am surprised, as I can not believe that they would let a dealer make ridiculous remarks like that.. I have had many sports cars, ones with lower profiles and softer compounds than the dunlops we have on these cars. Further did it ever occur to them that it might not be the tires and possibly an inherent problem with the vehicle.. If it was the dunlops, then every car would have this issue..

Thus my question: Is anyone else who has an S5, experiencing this problem? I have only seen a few posts on other forums regarding Vibrations... If there are more people experienceing this issue, please chime in.

I love my car!! I really do. This is not a bashing.. I just want to resolve this issue and move on.. Your answers will help, as it may help to deduct whether it is really a tire issue, or maybe there is something in fact wrong with the car. Further, is there any sense to what the dealer says. Is it possible that a soft compound tire can continue to get out of round on a daily basis only after 5-6 hours??

To All: Thank you for your time and your replies!!
I don't have an S5, but reading about your issue makes me think it's not a problem with the car itself if the vibration goes away after the tires get warm. I have the same issue on my Benz with PZero Nero M+S tires getting flatspots when parked overnight, but the ever so slight vibration goes away after a few minutes... usually by the time I'm just getting out of my neighborhood and about to get on the highway. 20 minutes seems a bit excessive though. I blame Dunlop.

Last edited by Blake P; 12-18-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I would rather actually talk about this on the phone...as I had a similar problem that ended up with me NOT having the car the problem was with...this is VERY strange and i KNOW past cars I have had have NOT had this issue...Im starting to think something on a huge scale is happening...btw, problems with both bridgestone AND continental...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
jerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud of
I recall someone on s5oc.com reporting somthing similar, do a search over there...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Cloak&Dagger is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I would rather actually talk about this on the phone...as I had a similar problem that ended up with me NOT having the car the problem was with...this is VERY strange and i KNOW past cars I have had have NOT had this issue...Im starting to think something on a huge scale is happening...btw, problems with both bridgestone AND continental...

What are you getting at?

Both of my Benz's do it.So does the Porsche. Sort of pisses me off, but after several minutes- it goes away. Not sure if completely. But enough so i don't notice anymore.

Personaly I think if the tires are getting smaller side walls, wheels getting bigger- this is a habitual issue.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Im getting at a major manufacturing problem...its not the profiles...I have run low profs before with no problem...this seems to be a fairly recent issue...

Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Cloak&Dagger is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sechsgang
Im getting at a major manufacturing problem...its not the profiles...I have run low profs before with no problem...this seems to be a fairly recent issue...

That's what I thought. Have you heard any rumors or seen any blogs to support that theory?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
nope, just my experience...but I have heard similar complaints...

Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
SolidGranite is infamous around these parts
I have noticed this a bit in my S5 which has Pilot Sports. Goes away in about 10min every time but it's never enough of an annoyance for me to take it in to a dealer.

The roads are so bad in Chicago too so driving without some sort of vibration is very rare.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
b18b1ex is infamous around these parts
I have the same thing with my potenza SO-3's, it goes away fairly quickly.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:59 AM
whynokey is infamous around these parts
similar problem

Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
blazzit744 is infamous around these parts
I have a more severe problem. My steering shakes at about 62 to 70mph everytime. But its not the factory wheels or tires. My S5 is on 20" BBS LMs with Falken tires. But I don't think the problem is with the tires. BBS is not compatible with the TPMS sensors. I had to install the sensors using straps. The straps gave away two times now forcing me to buy two sensors. Going through this whole process of removing the tire to replace the sensor I had went to numerous wheel balancings. Each time my car still shakes. Finally I went to Firestone to get alignment and I had them balance the wheels just in case. After that there is no shaking at all.

But I have to solve the TPMS sensor issue or it will fall off again. I'm thinking about drilling a hole in order to permanently install the sensors on to the rim.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blazzit744
I have a more severe problem. My steering shakes at about 62 to 70mph everytime. But its not the factory wheels or tires. My S5 is on 20" BBS LMs with Falken tires. But I don't think the problem is with the tires. BBS is not compatible with the TPMS sensors. I had to install the sensors using straps. The straps gave away two times now forcing me to buy two sensors. Going through this whole process of removing the tire to replace the sensor I had went to numerous wheel balancings. Each time my car still shakes. Finally I went to Firestone to get alignment and I had them balance the wheels just in case. After that there is no shaking at all.

But I have to solve the TPMS sensor issue or it will fall off again. I'm thinking about drilling a hole in order to permanently install the sensors on to the rim.
Just turn the TPMS system off. I have a system in one of my cars, and it gets very annoying at times. Don't screw up a good set of BBS wheels

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 PM
blazzit744 is infamous around these parts
i called audi, they said theres no way to turn it off

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
dubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura about
I had a similar problem on my S4. It ended up being water in the tires from using those crappy gas station air pumps. Just a thought...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi S5 or A5 Owners. Do you have any Vibration Issues?