Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Covered my C's cowling in 3m Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap - take a look

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Covered my C's cowling in 3m Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap - take a look

Bought some simulated CF wrap from PYS (link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/196357-pyspeed-com-3m-di-noc-carbon-fiber-vinyl-wrap-exterior-selling-4ft-x-1ft.html )

NOT BAD - I tried to cover the entire cowling in the pic, but there were too many tricky angles and I did not pre-cut a template (bad move). This stuff flows like water when you heat it. Yes I wasted some material, but in the end, this is just a test to see what temperatures the material will withstand. if it works out I will razorblade out the lettering.Let's see how it goes.

I am also going to test clear coating this stuff just to see what happens (water based clear).

Here are the pics:

Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor
PYSpeed.com is a jewel in the roughPYSpeed.com is a jewel in the roughPYSpeed.com is a jewel in the roughPYSpeed.com is a jewel in the rough
it's looking good

Old 01-17-2010, 01:02 PM
z145433 is infamous around these parts
would it have been possible to cut out the '4.5 V8' numbers/letter?
or would it have left ragged threads?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:25 PM
SoCal955 is infamous around these parts
Looks good, hopefully it will hold up in the heat.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by z145433
would it have been possible to cut out the '4.5 V8' numbers/letter?
or would it have left ragged threads?
Totally possible and I am sure it would stay nice and crisp (it's vinyl not fabric). I am just testing it for heat tolerance before I go any further.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM
SoCal955 is infamous around these parts
Just watched their video on the application one the bike fairings. Might attempt to cover the window pillars with this stuff.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by SoCal955
Just watched their video on the application one the bike fairings. Might attempt to cover the window pillars with this stuff.
DAM - That's a great idea. Should be a piece of cake. I might try it also.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 AM
LosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of light
one of your more tasteful mods, gj!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Mr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to behold
Rox,

Let us know how it goes come time for removing the stuff. I'm thinking of doing my bonnet but would hate to see the paint get spoilt if I ever decide at a later stage that I want to remove it.

Ciao, JE

Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Pepper is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb How bout this?

I wonder if this would work for the chipped steering wheel radio controls? Maybe a hole punch for the - + ^ lighted symbols wrapped in the material. What do you all think?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
This wrap *thing* was pretty popular among BMW e46 owners. Some of them extensively went on exterior & interior, like wrapping the roof w/ the carbon fiber (it looked really nice with the white color car) or the wrap the interior wood trims to give a much more sporty look.

Looks good, but wonder whether it would hold during the hot summer time.

Last edited by pcst; 02-03-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 AM
I will say that this stuff is best for wrapping parts that do not come in contact with you. I would not try to hit interior pieces with it where you will be touching it all the time.
Outside of that, I can see putting it pretty much anywhere. My sense is that it will not harm the paint. It seams to come up without any sticky mess. if your really freaked, get a small piece, cut and stick it to the underside of your hood. Drive for a week and then peal it off. With the heat and all, I am sure that if it is going to mess up paint, that would be the ultimate test.

ERIC - Maybe you can do a 1'X1" sample for cheap so others can see it in person.

BTW - After 20 miles of spirited driving, the cowling still looks good.

Last edited by roxboxxx; 01-19-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
howz it holding upto the heat?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Really nice job on the install.. Looking good!!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Just went out and checked - Not a single bubble or peal. Looks like its handling the heat well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Covered my C's cowling in 3m Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap - take a look