Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

458 Options for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
458 Options for Daily Driver

I'm ready to order a zero option 2012 458 coupe as daily driver. Coming from a 997TT tip. Before I close the deal anything I should know about ? I'm talking a zero option car - no electric seats, no GPS, no carbon, no shields. Just a black/black DD to replace my 07TT that has 51K miles on her. I have wrangler for the snow but I'd drive the 458 in all other weather conditions. Plan on keeping her for 5 years or so and getting rid of it after 50K-55K miles on her. Any really critical option that I must or should consider that would make my life easier (with her) ? I will live with her for awhile before I do anything to her, but initially I think I'll probably just powdercoat the rims black for $2K and buy a cheap $300 GPS to use when I need it once per month or so. The car is $236,182 incl. the $2600 gas guzzler tax and the $3750 transportation charge. I thought about the fully electric seats but for $6447 it seems like a waste of money if I'm the only one driving her.The brake calipers in black cost $1431 and again it seems like something I can get done aftermarket with the rims for 1/2 the price. Thoughts ?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
cat1pro is infamous around these partscat1pro is infamous around these parts
My thoughts are jealousy....I think that car is bad a$$ and will love being driven instead of being locked in a garage. No car wants to be a prisoner!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
maxthevoice is infamous around these parts
I think you're doing the right thing! Electric seats and calipers you're 100% right. Enjoy it in good health !

Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
First of all congrats, love the 458 more than any other car right now. I would not spend a cent on CF, but I think the electric seats are also the more cushioned comfortable seats. The standards are the carbon fiber sports seats which are not very padded and can be painful after a while. I might be wrong on that.
So if you order from the dealer they do not mark it up? I can not find a used one for less than 275k with less than 5k miles.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
CosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud ofCosmosMpower has much to be proud of
First of all congrats on being in the position to be able to DD a 458. I can't comment on what options to get or not to but I do find it interesting and kind of cool that you still think about not wasting money/getting a deal when considering buying a 200K+ exotic. I would think most people buying a car like that couldn't care less and throw cash around.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
I wouldnt get a black DD... never again.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Congrats on being able to afford such a beauty as a DD. On a side note, I think being in the New York area it will not be as comfortable/accommodating/practical as a 911TT tip, but I think you will be able to figure that out after a short ride.

I thought the waiting time for an ordered car was fairly long (12 months+)?

Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
I have a Rosso Corsa/beige 458 and I can not imagine using it as a daily driver. Yes I drive mine, I even track it, but not in bad weather and I sure don't park it on the street or at the mall. Thats a waste of the car in my book. Thats what beaters are for. Anyway, the base electric seats ($3,500) are the way to go. They are more comfortable than the Daytona seats and don't have the high cost of the racing seats. I added the high end stereo to mine, shields, yellow calipers and a few other small things and the car stickered for $254. They don't all cost $300. You only get there when you add all the carbon etc. Be sure and clear bra it. BTY it is an incredible car to drive. You will love it.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Viper 1 whats the difference b/w he elec. seats for $3637 and the fully elect. seats for $6447 ? Did you do the heat insulating windshield ? What exactly is that anyway ? Did you do an aftermarket clear bra or opt for the factory $1771 anti-stone chipping film ? What exact options did you go for that you did not mention ? For the record I plan on driving my car all around LI and NYC, but it is unlikely that I'd park her on NYC streets. Still, I can't imagine any scenario which would involve me driving less than 7500 miles per year on her. Why wouldn't you driver her in inclement weather (ie. rain, not snow) ? Doesn't she handle the wet conditions pretty well ? I know the 458 isn't going to grip like my 997TT in the rain (or snow for that matter), but it would be a bummer if she couldn't handle the rain.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned
Jon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really nice
I'd be hard pressed to choose between the 458 and the aventador as my favorite car made right now. But the Ferrari would be much more friendly day to day I imagine. Hopefully I'll get to drive both soon, but based on driving the 430 vs the Audi R8 V10 last december I'd say the Ferrari would be more liveable.

Last edited by Jon70ProofZ; 02-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
QuantumN420 is infamous around these parts
I was looking at the 458s but I am concerned that if I get in one now, once the 458 Spyders come out they are going to drop significantly. Look at Scud prices....you can pick one up in the high 100s and just 3 years ago they were 300 +. Thoughts?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
The full electric gives you heated seats, powerfold mirrors and additional electric adjustments. I had that option on my 430 and you don't need it so save your money. Didn't do the windshied, waste of money. Aftermarket clear bra is the only way to go. I have the whole front, including full hood and fenders, covered for half what Ferari wants. The new xpel is almost invivible. The car is ok in the rain for a high powered rear wheel drive car. Wouldn't be my first choice though. I also have the carbon fiber steering wheel with the leds. That is the only carbon I would spend money on. The leds are great and very accurate. I also got the ipod hookup. Thats about it. The only things I would add on the next car are cruise and powerfold mirrors if I don't have to buy the full electric seats.
Yes the 458 will depreciate like all cars. I will turn mine back to the dealer for a spider in the next six months. The 2012s will hold better than the earlier cars for a while because of the free 7 year maintenance plan that is standard with the 12s.
I agree on the 430 vs. Audi. I would take a 430 over the R8.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 AM
You can build a coupe in 8-12 months depending on dealer. A spyder will be a 2-2 1/2 year build wait. Seem to me that all cars regardless of exclusivity and limited production drop in value. The super rare exception may be an Enzo, but who really paid $660K MSRP if you were one of the lucky 399 ? Even if you did pay MSRP I'd still say that the Enzo was a super rare fluke for a modern car. All cars whether a GT2RS, Carrera GT, 599GTO, etc. depreciate. Some F cars like the 458 may hold their value better than say my 997TT, but I seriously doubt it. My 07 TT tip with 51K miles on her is probably worth in wholesale terms not one penny more than the $58K lease buyback (mine has PCCB and some carbon bits) and the MSRP was a tad over $150K. So if you run the math for the 458 coupe I will order the #'s will not change radically. So instead of $150K for the TT the 458 will run $250K. After 5 years and 50K miles on her she will probably be worth around $100K. The 458 spyder may fare better than the coupe, but as the spyder costs approx. $30K more than the coupe (base price) the the #'s at least percentage wise wont change dramatically. I know that the spyder is a hard top and that again theoretically might change things up, but with what is likely to be significant production #'s all 458's will depreciate. If you really think about it there really is no car that is mass produced anymore that won't depreciate heavily in 5 years. So lease it (write it off if possible) and drive it like you stole it. Its just another thing to enjoy, besides our families, for the time we have left in this thing we call life. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:11 AM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
I've owned three 458's and have a spyder showing up in May. I would actually suggest you not get it for daily use. Rain, salt, storms, shopping carts, etc would keep it off the road and or make for a rather nervous day parking. Keep in mind your 911 had some rear area to put groceries and/or dry cleaning. The Italia really doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I think the Italia is their best car in 20 years but even though it's an utter blast to drive, it's probably not the best daily car. If you need to stick with Ferrari, the Cali or the FF is better. The 911, on the other hand, makes a fine DD. I see them parked on the street all the time and it doesn't garner attention like a Ferrari. It's also not as loud and showy.
For what it's worth, I just drive a modded S5 as a daily but keep the exotics for weekend or occasion drives.

Oh, and I've owned a 430 spyder and R8V10 and I humbly disagree with you. The R8 was a better daily car while the 430 was more fun.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:29 AM
trincap,

Thanks for the input. As you have had multiple 458's your in a great position to give me advice. I'm not worried at all about our NY weather and street salt, etc. which is 10 x more severe than SF weather. I do agree that I should be nervous about street parking, but candidly I have the same problem with my TT. You just need to try your best to park away from other cars and errant shopping carts. I can say that the 458 or most cars for that matter are rather common in the North Shore of Nassau County where I live and work. I think the sole difference between the TT and 458 will be driving to the various Courts in the boros (I go to Court 1-2 times per week unless I'm on trial which is a daily endeavour) and having a valet take the keys. I just finished a 3 week trial in the Bronx and the valet at the garage knows me for years and takes care of my baby like it was his. There will be logistical difficulties if I need to meet a client in a crappy area and there is minimal street parking. It may just be that on those days I will need to take my wrangler. Of course the best solution would be to just buy my 07 TT off lease and then continue using the TT as my primary DD and leave the 458 to a mundane good weather day existence. BTW my dad has lived in the SF area for 30 years (my parents are divorced - haha what a surpise). He lives in Hillsborough. If I lived out there I'd go ballistic driving the 458 everyday. I can order the spyder but it will be 30 month wait versus a 12 month wait for the coupe and in any event I'm just not a convertible guy. My wife forces me to take the wrangler roof off in the summer. Anyway, thanks for the input.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 458 Options for Daily Driver