Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

One long day!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Unhappy One long day!!

The short version: Arrived home from a week in Baja last night at SFO. I had left the 3 with Alex and James at Sharkwerks before leaving last week to have the RS LWF kit installed. Alex was kind enough to meet us at the airport with the car so he and his wife jointed us for dinner before we set off for the 3 hours drive up the coast. By the way, the LWF is great, I highly recommend it if you have a “regular” 3. Huge difference in throttle response!!

We didn’t get out of SF until sometime after 9:00 and we had a rather long day as the flight was delayed and we arrived about 2 hours later then our original 5:00. It was a beautiful night for a drive up the coast, the ocean was calm and we had a great moonlight drive. Everything was going great and as per plan. I was about 20 miles from home, the little woman was taking a snooze so I was driving along and a relaxed pace and a good thing I was as I came upon three cows standing in the middle of the road. I had to come to a complete stop flash the lights on and off and serenade them with a little tune from the Sharkexhaust to get them out of the road. By this time Linda was awake and I picked up the pace a little. We were in one of my favorite sweepers when all of a sudden the car appeared to get a sever case of what I at first thought was understeer but turned out that I had no power steering!! All kind of lights started coming on in the dashboard and I had to drive about ¼ of a mile before finding a spot safe enough to get out of the road.

After a little poking around in the engine compartment I discovered that the belt wasn’t turning on any of the pulleys. After several calls to 1-800-Porsche and making an attempt and trying to explain to them were I was and that there wasn’t any cross roads, just the Pacific ocean on my left I decided it was best that I just call AAA myself, have the car transported to my house, which was less then 20 miles from where we were, and deal with the car in the morning. As it turned out I didn’t get home and into bed until 5:30am.

This morning I did some more investigating in the day light and discovered that the main pulley attached to the crankshaft had come loose, hence no power to anything. No water pump, alternator or power steering. Has anyone had this happen yet??? 16,245 miles and the first problem. I consider myself very luck as had it been earlier in the day I would have in all likelihood been driving at about 8-9/10’s and could have been in some huge trouble.

I’m now waiting for Porsche to contact me so I can arrange to get the car transported to my dealer for repairs. Looks like it may not be until Wed.

And no, it didn't have anything to do with the LWF installation. They worked on the other end of the engine.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by snowboarder54
The short version: Arrived home from a week in Baja last night at SFO. I had left the 3 with Alex and James at Sharkwerks before leaving last week to have the RS LWF kit installed. Alex was kind enough to meet us at the airport with the car so he and his wife jointed us for dinner before we set off for the 3 hours drive up the coast. By the way, the LWF is great, I highly recommend it if you have a “regular” 3. Huge difference in throttle response!!

We didn’t get out of SF until sometime after 9:00 and we had a rather long day as the flight was delayed and we arrived about 2 hours later then our original 5:00. It was a beautiful night for a drive up the coast, the ocean was calm and we had a great moonlight drive. Everything was going great and as per plan. I was about 20 miles from home, the little woman was taking a snooze so I was driving along and a relaxed pace and a good thing I was as I came upon three cows standing in the middle of the road. I had to come to a complete stop flash the lights on and off and serenade them with a little tune from the Sharkexhaust to get them out of the road. By this time Linda was awake and I picked up the pace a little. We were in one of my favorite sweepers when all of a sudden the car appeared to get a sever case of what I at first thought was understeer but turned out that I had no power steering!! All kind of lights started coming on in the dashboard and I had to drive about ¼ of a mile before finding a spot safe enough to get out of the road.

After a little poking around in the engine compartment I discovered that the belt wasn’t turning on any of the pulleys. After several calls to 1-800-Porsche and making an attempt and trying to explain to them were I was and that there wasn’t any cross roads, just the Pacific ocean on my left I decided it was best that I just call AAA myself, have the car transported to my house, which was less then 20 miles from where we were, and deal with the car in the morning. As it turned out I didn’t get home and into bed until 5:30am.

This morning I did some more investigating in the day light and discovered that the main pulley attached to the crankshaft had come loose, hence no power to anything. No water pump, alternator or power steering. Has anyone had this happen yet??? 16,245 miles and the first problem. I consider myself very luck as had it been earlier in the day I would have in all likelihood been driving at about 8-9/10’s and could have been in some huge trouble.

I’m now waiting for Porsche to contact me so I can arrange to get the car transported to my dealer for repairs. Looks like it may not be until Wed.

And no, it didn't have anything to do with the LWF installation. They worked on the other end of the engine.
Damn, that doesn't sound like fun at all... Sorry to hear your otherwise perfect evening turned into a very bad night.

I hope the dealer finds out what the hell happened that caused the pulley to get loose. I mean there must be like 4-5 bolts holding it in place!?

This reminds me of two episodes I've had in the past with getting stranded in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night due to pulley/belt/water pump issues.
The other one happened just recently when we were coming back from Sebring with my friend and his waterpump on the BMW decided to give up.
He got stranded in the "hill billy land" with 100 miles to civilization late in the evening and there was no way in hell I was gonna leave that kid alone there to wait for the tow truck. We ended up spending 6hours waiting for the truck.
The other instance was when I was coming back from Daytona with my 2-day old supercharger system on the M3. The blower had a faulty bearing and got stock so I had to get the car towed all the way to Active Autowerke in Miami from Daytona Beach. The bill for the towing alone was $950, which AA thankfully picked up...

Hope you get your car back soon!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey ralph, seriously man that was some bad luck! The thought of you guys out there in the cold at night was scary for sure. Only heard of read of two cases like that (on rennlist) where the pin was at fault and also the bolt came out of the main drive pulley. Good to know we can rely on 1800Porsche

Thanks for dinner last night and I'm coming up to Sea Ranch this summer for sure to tour those roads!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:32 AM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
Okay, here's the deal; Porsche came to my house and picked up the car, delivering it to Sonnen in Mill Valley.(I would have preferred it taken to Niello where I purchased the car) It appears as if the bolt which holds the main pulley on has sheared off. During the process damage has occured to the end of the crankshaft. Porsche will do a complete tear down and install a new crank. I would prefer a new motor but I don't see that happening, unless they can't locate a crank!!

I guess the good news is the car is being taken care off, the bad news is I don't know when and as I said, I would prefer a new motor.

I have heard of one other GT3 having a similiar problem. Anyone else here have this happen and if so what was the out come?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
- Oh man - that sounds really really painful. Sorry about your bad luck and please keep us posted.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM
ALTAADAM007 is infamous around these parts
OUCH! Lets hope this isn't commonplace for more of us in the future!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Sorry to hear, I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.
I hope everything goes well and your car is back on the road soon.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
clt8981 is infamous around these parts
sorry about your luck..get back on the road soon

Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 PM
AzGT3 is infamous around these parts
Well our cars came on the boat together and I now have a one week old Sharkwerks (#0028) exhaust based on your "I didn't think it could get any better" tread and now this goes and happen. Damn! I am so sorry. As you
know I had all my troubles on the front end of ownership but Porsche was very good once I got to the regional rep. I hope your outcome is the same. Thank goodness you were not in a hurry on 1 and no damage to you and your wife. I love the exhaust just as you said I would.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Hey snowboarder54, Ranger here. The same thing happened to me. I believe I mentioned it before on another thread.
While driving on I-95 the first thing I noticed was the AC began to blow warm air and the car felt seriously underpowered. Then noticed the temp was thru the roof. Seriously overheating, so I shut it down immediately.
As you said, the belt was not moving.
The crank pulley had become undone and malfunctioned. The car went to Champion. Obtaining a pulley was an odessey. It is not the dealers fault but the pulley is apparently a race part that comes from Porsche Motorsport. They take their sweet time. There have to be enough pulleys for the race teams before they release one for "joe blow customer".

I am obviously concern about my motor and any internal damage. After getting the pulley and installed I was assured that the motor was fine.
I too wanted more assurance, as in a new crank shaft or better yet a new motor but that was not going to happen.
I asked about an etiology as to this occurence but the answer was, "it can happen". Now I see someone else w/ the same problem. I thought I was the only one its happened to.

My GT3 has performed stellar since the repair. The thread posted w/ the post-header dyno results were after the pulley incident. The GT3 is running strong and stout w/ no hiccups so I must assume that all internals are working fine.

Just a nonspecific loose association, that is ... I too had just recently had the RS LWFW installed. There is noway there can be any cause and effect by these two items.

I may have heard something about faulty pulleys going out to the production line. ? issues of metal not meeting stress tolerances, but what the hell do I know.

I want to say that Champion Motorsport and Shiraaz behaved properly and admirably. Shiraaz went above and beyond to help me in my time of need.

Good luck to you snowboarder54 and be patient, the pulley may take awhile.

GT3Ranger

Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
hey snow did you meet up with the porsche club last oct in mendo we had atleast 30 cars ???

Old 01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
neillo

gee snow i live in rocklin about 2 miles from neillo .. had the famous 2gear popout prob neillo replaced my trans no questions asked....so i bought a cayenne from them seemed fair steve

Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by AzGT3
Well our cars came on the boat together and I now have a one week old Sharkwerks (#0028) exhaust based on your "I didn't think it could get any better" tread and now this goes and happen. Damn! I am so sorry. As you
know I had all my troubles on the front end of ownership but Porsche was very good once I got to the regional rep. I hope your outcome is the same. Thank goodness you were not in a hurry on 1 and no damage to you and your wife. I love the exhaust just as you said I would.
Ya AZ, the exhaust is sweeeeeet!!!! Glad you like it!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Hey snowboarder54, Ranger here. The same thing happened to me. I believe I mentioned it before on another thread.
While driving on I-95 the first thing I noticed was the AC began to blow warm air and the car felt seriously underpowered. Then noticed the temp was thru the roof. Seriously overheating, so I shut it down immediately.
As you said, the belt was not moving.
The crank pulley had become undone and malfunctioned. The car went to Champion. Obtaining a pulley was an odessey. It is not the dealers fault but the pulley is apparently a race part that comes from Porsche Motorsport. They take their sweet time. There have to be enough pulleys for the race teams before they release one for "joe blow customer".

I am obviously concern about my motor and any internal damage. After getting the pulley and installed I was assured that the motor was fine.
I too wanted more assurance, as in a new crank shaft or better yet a new motor but that was not going to happen.
I asked about an etiology as to this occurence but the answer was, "it can happen". Now I see someone else w/ the same problem. I thought I was the only one its happened to.

My GT3 has performed stellar since the repair. The thread posted w/ the post-header dyno results were after the pulley incident. The GT3 is running strong and stout w/ no hiccups so I must assume that all internals are working fine.

Just a nonspecific loose association, that is ... I too had just recently had the RS LWFW installed. There is noway there can be any cause and effect by these two items.

I may have heard something about faulty pulleys going out to the production line. ? issues of metal not meeting stress tolerances, but what the hell do I know.

I want to say that Champion Motorsport and Shiraaz behaved properly and admirably. Shiraaz went above and beyond to help me in my time of need.

Good luck to you snowboarder54 and be patient, the pulley may take awhile.

GT3Ranger
Ranger, Ya the whole thingis very strange I don't know if we will ever know what the real deal is. Hopefully we are just a couple isolated cases. I'm not a very patient person so we are going to Mexico for a couple weeks to enjoy some warm weather. Hopefully the 3 will be ready when I return.

If it took that long to get a pulley I can't wait to see how long it will take to get a crankshaft!!!! Thanks for your info.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by steve harris
hey snow did you meet up with the porsche club last oct in mendo we had atleast 30 cars ???
Wasn't there. I am a member but I don't normally attend those things. I like driving my roads alone!!!

I agree, Niello is a first class dealership!! Like I said, I wish I had taken the car there even at my own expense!! But I am confident it will be taken of properly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One long day!!