Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Euro Rear Bumper Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Smile Euro Rear Bumper Conversion

I was never a fan of the US version Porsche rear bumper with the two 5 mph 'humps" starting from the 911 in the 70's all the way to now. I really like the clean Euro rear bumper look and decided to do a conversion. I was naive in thinking it's a straight swap of the plastic cover until I found out there was these two bony humps behind the plastic cover which prevent the Euro bumper from being installed lol

Initially, I was just going to Dremel off the two humps but decide against it. I gave Steve at Suncoast Porsche a call and placed an order for both the Euro bumper and the aluminum brace. Interesting the aluminum brace came with the heat shield attached. I was surprised how light it was. It was not until I took off the US rear bumper brace that I realized the gain was not merely cosmetic but also a significant drop in weight!!

OK, here is what I did. First of all, let's take off the US rear bumper. This is a simple task. Just take off the lights on each side and remove couple T-27 screws around the bumper (there is a screw at each end of the bumper behind the wheel well best access with rear wheels off). Disconnect the license plate lights and pop out each end of the bumper by clearing the wheel well/heat shield brace and gently pull the bumper back and out

Now the US rear bumper with two 5 mph bumper stopper are exposed

Loosen the two screws connecting the heat shields on each side and remove the two bolts holding down the brace to the rear bumper mount and notice how much heavier the US aluminum brace is compare with Euro brace

Here is a comparison of the US aluminum brace to the Euro version. Noticed how the Euro version has cut outs on the back side. I weight each and the US aluminum brace weigh 16 lbs and the Euro version weigh merely 8 lbs!? WOW, a whopping 8 lbs reduction just in the aluminum brace

Another benefit is the location of the tow hook. Now the tow hook is outside of the license plate and you don't have to remove the license plate each time to install tow hook for track

Initial look of the Euro bumper after install

My man Tony at TNT Autobody did a great job with color match and paint. He did couple more clean up after install. Remember these cars have water based paint and not every body shop is trained in doing this. Make sure you find a quality shop to spray the paint. These bumpers look the best if it is only spray once

Out of Curiosity, I also weigh the plastic bumper. I was surprised that US rear bumper weigh 14 lbs while the Euro rear bumper weigh 11 lbs painted which is 3 lbs lighter!? This add up to a total of 11 lbs weight reduction with the Euro rear bumper conversion considering the 8 lbs lost with the aluminum brace and 3 lbs lost with the plastic bumper cover. Now I got rid of the unsightly 5 mph humps and lost 11 lbs from the very end of a rear weight biased car. What can be better than this

Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
Nice write up. I like the new look!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WildBill
Nice write up. I like the new look!
Thanks .... I like the 11 lbs off my butt lol

Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
came out great and a nice write-up too...you are just like Garrett...you just keep raising the bar...

Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
How much was the new aluminum brace?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
came out great and a nice write-up too...you are just like Garrett...you just keep raising the bar...
Thanks

Pardon my ignorance, I am fairly new to the forum. Who is Garrett

Originally Posted by mobonic
How much was the new aluminum brace?
It was just over $400 .... not that bad

Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Garrett is grussell...I've seen you post in his threads about his racer..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-way-pics.html

Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Now it looks like a proper RS

You probably need the Lexan rear window to complete the look.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
Garrett is grussell...I've seen you post in his threads about his racer..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-gt/157048-my-rs-loses-74lbs-hard-way-pics.html
OK, now I know who he is. I am far from his madness ... but getting ever closer lol

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Now it looks like a proper RS

You probably need the Lexan rear window to complete the look.
Thanks ... I thought RS has some form of light weight plastic rear window. You must be talking about the cup car rear side windows with the slits right?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
The Euro RS comes with a Plexiglass rear window as standard.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ar-window.html

Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 AM
drfritzi is infamous around these parts
Looks terrific - and thanks for the photo essay as well!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM
GTS-R is infamous around these parts
Looks great! I'm hoping they come out with a Euro version of the GT3.2 rear bumper to fit an RS, but I doubt the will as a new RS seems uncertain.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
Special paint considerations

Anything special to watch out for with regard to painting the bumper?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drfritzi
Looks terrific - and thanks for the photo essay as well!
Is this something that we might be seeing on your car Brian?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Looks really good Mikymu, great write up. Rep Points for this thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Euro Rear Bumper Conversion