Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How to tell between replica Euro GT3 seats and OEM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 PM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
How to tell between replica Euro GT3 seats and OEM?

So I recently bought a set of euro GT3 seats for my (gasp!) BMW M3. Were sold to me as OEM Euro GT3 seats. I saw the pics and as far as I could tell, they looked like the real deal.

Went to a track event today with the local PCA chapter. Lo and behold, parked next to me are not 1, not 2, but 3 996 GT3's.

So I moseyed on over and checked out their seats. Here's where I started to get a little concerned. There are minor differences between the seats in those 3 GT3's and the ones currently sitting in my garage.

The harness lap belt surrounds on mine are plastic inside and out. The GT3's today only had plastic on the outside, leather was sitched on the inside.

I don't have a porsche part # sticker on the bottom of my seats, nor do I have the little plastic nubs that hold the seat belt harness.

Besides that, they look identical, down to the embossed Porsche crest. I obviously have different seat brackets, sliders and side mounts to fit my BMW.

My question is, did Porsche make more than 1 generation of these seats? Is it possible that I have an older generation?

Or did the person who sold me these seats not know they were replicas and sold them to me as OEM?

If that's the case, I need to know for sure before I contact him and attempt to return these...

Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 PM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
Nobody knows?

Old 06-21-2009, 03:10 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have been under the impression if they have the Porsche crest on them they are OEM. They are made by Recaro, and may have there logo somewhere on the seats.

Saying that, there are a lot of replica's out there, some better then others.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Here are some pics of the seats...

Old 06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
my oem Euro GT3 seats are four years old and are as you described with the Porsche crest and leather stitching on the inside of the belt holes...mine say "Recaro" on the back top leather between the harness eyelets..

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docwyte
Here are some pics of the seats...
From what I can see from the pictures they look like the ones I bought from Suncoast last summer.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Do yours have a plastic guide on the inside and outside of the lap belt harness hole?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
my oem Euro GT3 seats are four years old and are as you described with the Porsche crest and leather stitching on the inside of the belt holes...mine say "Recaro" on the back top leather between the harness eyelets..

Mine are real and say RECARO on the back like Chuck's do.

MK

Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Great. These are replicas and the seller has refused to refund my money, even though I offered to pay to ship them back to him.

Anyone want to buy a set of REPLICA GT3 seats? Make offer.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by docwyte
Great. These are replicas and the seller has refused to refund my money, even though I offered to pay to ship them back to him.

Anyone want to buy a set of REPLICA GT3 seats? Make offer.
That sucks! Sorry about your misfortune.

Try a FS post in the classifieds,there is a set of reps with yellow inserts that people say they would be buying if they weren't yellow.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 AM
can't post them to the classifieds, don't have enough posts yet.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey guys, I need a little help. Could someone please take some pics of the following and email them to me?

I need a good shot of the back of the seat with the "Recaro" embossed logo and the torx screws on the back of the shoulder harness holes. A good shot of the inside and outside lap belt harness holes, a good shot of the entire back and front of the seat to show the quality of the leather and lastly (and this is the tough one) a shot of the bottom of the seat showing the porsche part # sticker as well as the seat belt harness guide nubs.

Thanks!!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Hey Doc, it's obvious that you have a replica. Unfortunately, I think the seller won't man up to this problem. He already got a bad rep on M3F.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Yep. I'm heading over to my shop tomorrow morning with the seats so they can physically inspect them and write an "expert" opinion. I'll submit that to my credit company and they'll credit my account for the total.

If I can find out his address I'll ship them back, if that's what my credit card company wants me to do.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 AM
C.Plavan is infamous around these parts
Did you use Paypal? If so you have like 30 days from purchase to appeal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to tell between replica Euro GT3 seats and OEM?