Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

DE Liability Coverage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy DE Liability Coverage

I just returned from a disappointing meeting with my State Farm agent which largely centered upon DE track coverage. In a nutshell, State Farm, and all the other major US carriers, do not provide ANY type of coverage while on track. This not only excludes comprehensive coverage should you wad up your car but also liability coverage which is by far and away the more important component should you injure someone. Additionally, even umbrella liability riders are not in effect while on track. About the only suggestion they could offer was to see if Lloyd's of London or other large re-insurer would write a one-off policy.

I find it difficult to believe that everyone in the Porsche socio-economic cohort who enjoys DE events is simply ignoring this situation or choosing to go bare. As a group of individuals, generally speaking, we are probably better off financially than most and relatively speaking have a lot more to potentially lose. Doctors, lawyers and business people know this all to well and also know that once a law suit is filed things can get nasty and expensive in a hurry especially if you are responsible for your own defense and ultimate settlement costs. I also have never met anyone who purchases event-specific insurance as endorsed by PCA which is both very expensive and doesn't address the liability component to the best of my recollection.

What am I missing, is there a work-around or is doing a DE just predicated on the hope that "$hit don't happen"?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
In MA, MetLife provides coverage while I'm on the track. They were the only insurer I could find that would do this. Regulations vary from state to state, so check around.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
You are not missing anything.

Knowing that I don't have track coverage, I never drive close to what I think my limit is, and I don't pass someone unless I know for sure I can. I am very willing to let other "aggressive drivers" pass me even if I know I'm faster than them.

If there is insurance coverage available, the premium is usually very high that I probably will not pay for. And even if I have the coverage, I will not change my conservative driving habit on the track anyway.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
gotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the rough
This is my first post here, but I will give it a go.

For certain sponsored club track-days (BMWCCA for example), you can purchase on track insurance on a per-even basis. Here is an example, and I am sure there are other offerings:

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/

Cheers,

Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gotbhp?
This is my first post here, but I will give it a go.

For certain sponsored club track-days (BMWCCA for example), you can purchase on track insurance on a per-even basis. Here is an example, and I am sure there are other offerings:

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/

Cheers,
I use them on occasion and even though it's only coverage for my car (personal property), it's better than nothing. I haven't found nor have I heard of any insurer that will write a reasonable policy that fully covers an individual. Sucks but most folks I know are very aware of the risks vs reward situation here.

If you ever come by something better, post up a link!

Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 PM
gotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by medpilot105
I use them on occasion and even though it's only coverage for my car (personal property), it's better than nothing. I haven't found nor have I heard of any insurer that will write a reasonable policy that fully covers an individual. Sucks but most folks I know are very aware of the risks vs reward situation here.

If you ever come by something better, post up a link!
True. I have always gone to the track with the attitude that an HPDE is about learning, and that if you cannot afford to lose the car you are lapping in, then you shouldn't be there in the first place. The insurance coverage offered by some of these companies certainly helps with that.

As for personal injury/liability, I suppose it is just a judgment call as far as how much risk you are willing to expose yourself to, just like any hobby. Personally, I feel like I am much more at risk of being in a wreck trying to commute on the freeways here in Southern California. I have certainly seen more accidents on the 405 than I have ever seen in ~10 years of track days

Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
gotbhp?: I have to agree with you regarding commute traffic. I know that cars on track are exposed to a certain level of risk but damn if the majority of driver's I've met, rode with and shared the track with aren't great drivers. HPDE's are where learning to drive actually begins. Now, the other 99+% of folks on the public roads...

Yes, there's the Ricky Bobby in all of us that just wants to go fast but we're also interested in vehicle dynamics, emergency situation survival and learning the limits of ourselves and of our vehicles in a structured safer environment than public roads. I know this isn't a news flash to any of us here but it reallys bugs me that insurers see HPDE's as a greater liability than the poor driver's education/testing we have in this country. Argh...

/end rant

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jakegt3
In MA, MetLife provides coverage while I'm on the track. They were the only insurer I could find that would do this. Regulations vary from state to state, so check around.
Based on my experience in MA, that only covers you if the event is officially billed as a Driver's Ed event and you need to make sure it's sponsored that way. If it isn't, you're not covered.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
As much as it would pain me to repair or write off my 08 911 TT, it wouldn't be the end of the world. OTOH, a long drawn out law suit with a mega dollar out of pocket settlement could come pretty darn close. Given the inherent risks that come with being on the track, unless you don't have anything to lose, I don't know how anyone can look the other way on this. What I don't know is if there is protective language contained in the waivers that everyone signs and whether it would likely do any good. I've got a couple of calls into insurance companies who write motorsports insurance and I'll post whatever I find out from them. I also talked to MetLife and they had no interest in writing a liability policy. More as it becomes available.......

Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
I use WSIB Insurance

http://www.wsibinsurance.com/

They sell in blocks of five events.....and you can buy more in blocks of five. The more blocks you buy the cheaper it is.

It only covers your car, with a rather high deductable. I run Chin and PCA......I have seen incidents at Chin that makes the policy important to me.

I too have considered an umbrella policy

I checked with every insurance agent in Florida I coudl think of, they all said no to DE's.....including Met Life

Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
VTach is infamous around these parts
DE ins.

I "discovered" this lack of coverage about a year ago with AllState and quickly dropped them. After much research I ended up with Fireman's Fund for my home and autos. They were about the same price and provided far better coverage. They DO provide coverage for DE's.

Keep us posted.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Based on my experience in MA, that only covers you if the event is officially billed as a Driver's Ed event and you need to make sure it's sponsored that way. If it isn't, you're not covered.
Yes, that is correct. I should have been more explicit. Racing events are not covered, but DE is.

BTW if anyone wants contact info for my MetLife agent in MA, who worked all this out for me, send me a PM.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:11 PM
PCA Responds Favorably

I sent an email to a couple of our PCA regional officials who forwarded it to PCA National. Ken Laborde, PCA National Insurance Chairperson responded, "On the contrary our policy does provide defense and indemnity up to the $10MM limit for participants who have signed the waiver and get sued in connection with their participation in the event. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

This is very good news indeed and amazing turnaround. I think it's still worth asking the question, however, if you decide to run with some other club or do an unsanctioned open lapping day somewhere. Thanks to all!

PS Don't forget to sign the waiver.......

Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
I sent an email to a couple of our PCA regional officials who forwarded it to PCA National. Ken Laborde, PCA National Insurance Chairperson responded, "On the contrary our policy does provide defense and indemnity up to the $10MM limit for participants who have signed the waiver and get sued in connection with their participation in the event. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

This is very good news indeed and amazing turnaround. I think it's still worth asking the question, however, if you decide to run with some other club or do an unsanctioned open lapping day somewhere. Thanks to all!

PS Don't forget to sign the waiver.......

Excellent news, thanks!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
i will ask the same question at Chin this weekend

Now I need to find an auto carrier in floirida who will cover DE's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DE Liability Coverage