Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Center Lock to Five Lug in Excellence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Center Lock to Five Lug in Excellence

I have stated a few times that probably the real solution to the PITA CLs is to convert back to the 5 lug wheel hubs from the 997.1 GT3/RSs. Well Excellence just published an article on this conversion and even priced it out. $1500 for parts but I bet that does not include labor and you are going to need an accomplished Porsche mechanic to press out the wheel bearings... That being said, your CL hubs will have some value in the aftermarket so you will get some money back, not to mention peace of mind for the DIYers.

Jason

Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
I would think it would be well worth it. Not to mention you can sell the wheels, too...

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I didn't even look at a 997.2 GT3 because of the CL wheels. The article was written by a DIY that frequents RL GT3 section.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
If you tighten the CL like Porsche last recall you wound have problems...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Yes Luis, but unless you have PMNA Cup center locks, wheel changes with 5 lug are much quicker and you have a much larger variety and choice of wheels in 5 lug as well and they are much cheaper than CL wheels.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
the old 5 lug will be the new standard before long.

It's just proven. Im interested to see where porsche goes with this in time

Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
personally I think the Cl's look so much cooler than 5 lug.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I read that article with interest too. Although I don't own center locks, I can only say that they look stunning...but the fact that the 5 lugs are actually lighter is also appealing to me and grounds for conversion consideration. It's always good to have options!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

Oh I agree, no question about it, But having your wheel fly off isnt very cool

Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I personally prefer 5 lugs than CL.

But the CL does not bother me enough that I will spend $2000+ to convert it. I got all the tools to change CL wheels. The only difference is I need a person to sit inside the car to brake for me while I'm changing. With 5 lugs, it is one man job and easier.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I personally prefer 5 lugs than CL.

But the CL does not bother me enough that I will spend $2000+ to convert it. I got all the tools to change CL wheels. The only difference is I need a person to sit inside the car to brake for me while I'm changing. With 5 lugs, it is one man job and easier.
I was reading about this process of removing/remounting CL based wheels and it sounded pretty significant (in Excellence), but mainly because of the risk of damaging the center cap/dust seal every time you want to switch them around. Obviously changing wheels on any setup can result in damage to the wheels or related hardware, but it sounds like the possibility of damage being caused to CL hardware is significantly greater than any 5 lug combination. Do you find that to be true from your experience too?

Old 12-24-2011, 02:23 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I totally agree! I really love the look, but sadly sometimes function and practicality win out over cool looks..... even when it's F'n super baddass looking!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I was reading about this process of removing/remounting CL based wheels and it sounded pretty significant (in Excellence), but mainly because of the risk of damaging the center cap/dust seal every time you want to switch them around. Obviously changing wheels on any setup can result in damage to the wheels or related hardware, but it sounds like the possibility of damage being caused to CL hardware is significantly greater than any 5 lug combination. Do you find that to be true from your experience too?
are you refuring to the dust seal that gets ruined when pushing out the wheels bearings >?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 PM
According to the article, it's the center cap dust seal itself, and it mentions that the cap can be easily bent or scratched.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 PM
i didnt know this. I do know about the center cap its easly damaged. they are inexpensive tho. as many have mentioned the whole centerlock system is quite gimiky

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center Lock to Five Lug in Excellence