Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 as a first P-car...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:33 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
There's always the 996 RWD + Supercharger + PSM + Aftermarket suspension option. A GT3 will still be quicker on a track, but the PSM will save your sorry *** as it has saved mine, and many others.

For the *****-out experience, of course the GT3, but an appropriately modded 996 will get you a safer way to learn the 911 handling dynamic, which is very different from the BMW dynamic.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PMac
There's always the 996 RWD + Supercharger + PSM + Aftermarket suspension option. A GT3 will still be quicker on a track, but the PSM will save your sorry *** as it has saved mine, and many others.

For the *****-out experience, of course the GT3, but an appropriately modded 996 will get you a safer way to learn the 911 handling dynamic, which is very different from the BMW dynamic.
The thing is, I want to get away from modded cars. I think the GT3 is a perfect car for me in that sense.
Surely I will put in a roll cage, Euro seats, maybe some lighter wheels and better suspension but other than that, I want to keep it stock.
Buying a turbo or a base carrera would just make me start this stupid modding round again...

Old 09-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Juha klart du ska ha en GT3:a! Slategrå eller Lapisblå.
Do iiitt!
Vit är det som jag är äfter, men skall inte "turn away" från en Lapisblå, svart eller silver!

I WILL DO IT FELIX!!! Then you need to get your self and your camera down to Miami for a photoshoot!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Red02996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BOYRACER
The GT3 is an amazing car, but I advise you to proceed with caution on the track. If it is your first 911 you are going to have a steep learning curve. The car handles, brakes, accelerates and does everything else well, but is also not all that forgiving. It awards smoothness and punishes you if you are sloppy. I have quite a bit of racing experience and was humbled by the car. Then again, I push pretty hard. I would say if you buy a GT3 and decide to track, make sure you get it set up correctly. Find a shop that has done GT3s and has a reputation of setting them up right. An incorrect setup will make your track day a living hell and might have you end up in a wall. Also take it easy at first. The car will def out perform your M3, but do not be frustrated if at first you seem slower. The car takes some getting used to. If you proceed with a good head on your shoulders you will be fine. Treat the car with no respect and you will end up in trouble. Best of luck on your search. They are great cars and you will enjoy it very much
Agree with BOYRACER that you will enjoy the GT3 once you have it set up right and overcome the initial "what did I buy" or "I can drive anymore" fears. I switched from a 2002 996 to a 2004 GT3 and boy was I slower and scared the first couple of sessions on the track. And I payed a lot more attention on the street too. She can be twitchy and wants to be be driven with attentive cleanliness. I had a 2005 330i Performance Package too, at least directionally close to your M3. So easy to drive fast, so tossable, forgiving and predictable. Be prepared to not feel that the first couple of rides with the 3 and you'll be fine.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
Dude Do it... just take it slow... the Porsche is a very fun car... you just need to learn her limits and take it easy at first..then abuse it like a mistress until it says no... but wait... it never will...hehe

Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Nicest M3 I have seen.
My favorite M3 as well, im in love with it! Sorry Juha, i dont want to also be blamed for your coming into the Porsche world haha, one thing is, do it, and dont look back!

There's no such thing as too much car for a first time owner in any brand, starting out with a totally different car but still fast (996tt) will not make it any easier to drive a 996 GT3, in fact harder forgetting what a lighter high hp and reving rwd M3 would be like. Like anything, start gradual and work your way up to levels of confidence within yourself! My advice, GT2 if you can swing it but if not, Gt3 in general!

Goodluck juha

Martin

Old 09-12-2006, 06:47 AM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
GT3 is the jam. I just met a newb at VIR last weekend that has one. Now he wants to buy a 997 GT3 RS cup. Crazy...

GET IT

Old 09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Me_qwkr
then abuse it like a mistress until it says no...
You've actually been told "no" before??

Old 09-17-2006, 04:15 PM
K04
K04 is infamous around these parts
GT3 is the way to go it will keep you from modding other then seats maybe, but GT3 is a good deal.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:48 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Do it! This is my first P-Car. Everyone has extremely valid points. Have road raced bikes and owned a couple of MZB's, including a RENNTech E55 AMG but, there is nothing like a GT3! Still learning how to drive it. I think old men drive faster than me...

Old 09-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Brandywine
GT3 is the way to go it will keep you from modding other then seats maybe, but GT3 is a good deal.
Let me know when you have a white on black GT3 with less than 10k miles and in the low to mid $80k range!!

Old 09-17-2006, 07:02 PM
GT3Bob is infamous around these parts
Juha,
I have a fantastic track/street GT3 for sale. Send me an email and I'll send you all the details. While it is Speed Yellow with black, it has been highly modified for the track, with everything you need (and then some). It is the best set up GT3 on the west coast, and perhaps in the country.

GT3Bob ... << info@lappingdays.com >>

Good luck in your quest. I came from an E46 M3 to my GT3 last season. Incredibly rewarding car after you learn to drive it (I second everyone's comments here :-)

Old 09-18-2006, 12:37 AM
jrloM3 is infamous around these parts
this is a good thread cuz i'm doing the same thing, i.e. going from an E46 M3 into a 997 GT3. there's a lot of good advice here. i'm planning on doing between 3-5 track events a season, and since this will be my first P-car, i'm thinking now that maybe i should get a 996 GT3 first and learn to drive that really well before moving to a 997? or maybe i just stick with the 997 and take it real real slow at first??? hmmm... decisions.

good thread!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:29 PM
O4 GT3
Vader13 has a spectacular aura aboutVader13 has a spectacular aura about
The 997GT3 will be a better move for you.
The 996 is very loose and can bite, the 997 has lots of help me I am scared buttons.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:35 PM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Juha
Let me know when you have a white on black GT3 with less than 10k miles and in the low to mid $80k range!!
Great combo!! I looked long and hard before finding my wht/blk beast!! IMHO, best and more importantly correct color combo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 as a first P-car...?