Last Gasp for the Church of the Holy Donut in Maryland?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
karmakvisser is infamous around these parts
Last Gasp for the Church of the Holy Donut in Maryland?

This could be it, fellas. The stores have been given their eviction notices as of the end of June. It looks like this Sunday could be the last Church of the Holy Donut in it's current configuration. We will move to the other side of Old 29, behind the shopping center, in the commuter lot.

With that said, try to make it out Sunday the 29th to pay homage to this institution of higher horsepower We've had a great run and have seen many, many cool cars.

To the uninitiated, Church of the Holy Donut holds weekly services at the intersection of old rt 29 and 198 in Burtonsville, MD in the parking lot of the Dunken Donuts and Amish Market. Services start around 8 am and last until 11 or so. You will see everything from old school rat rods, classics, modified pro street, muscle cars, exotics and everything inbetween.

Let's make this one special!

warm regards

ken

=

Last edited by karmakvisser; 06-25-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
That's sad I can't make it this weekend unfortunately. I have to work.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
trinity is a jewel in the roughtrinity is a jewel in the roughtrinity is a jewel in the rough
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

:gasp:
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i'm getting up early this sunday.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
ONECRUNCH is infamous around these parts
Wow - I go there all the time. Good to hear the news on the location. Guess instead of DD we will have to upgrade to Starbucks and Fat Free Pastries LOL.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
We're still standing

We had a great turnout this past weekend. The top of the lot got pretty full. Lots of exotics as well. We will be there for a couple more weeks. I'm told the turning point will be when the sheds disapear from the Amish dudes.

Here are a couple of shots from Sunday.

regards

ken

Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I spread the word to the Cobra forums. One thing that is going to take from the event's a bit is the new location will get very little drive by traffic.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
That's true but..

Originally Posted by ONECRUNCH
I spread the word to the Cobra forums. One thing that is going to take from the event's a bit is the new location will get very little drive by traffic.
That's true but, I think that might stop the casual observer from coming by. Otherwise, what dude in a 69 Camaro or shiny Porsche is going to be cruising around at 9am on a Sunday morning on a lessor traveled intersection? Most come because they have heard about it via friends or a forum. Also, keep in mind that the commuter lot we are moving to is very visable from new 29. In theory, it might even be more visable to a greater number of cars.

We also are trying to get the owner of Fractured Prune (an awesome hot donut shop) to bring his mobile donut unit out. And, there is a Starbucks visable and walkable from the commuter lot.

Here is an arial view of the area.

cheers

ken

Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
trinity is a jewel in the roughtrinity is a jewel in the roughtrinity is a jewel in the rough
I talked to someone this weekend that said when the sheds move and they block it off... that'll be the sign that they have to move to the new location.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by karmakvisser
That's true but, I think that might stop the casual observer from coming by. Otherwise, what dude in a 69 Camaro or shiny Porsche is going to be cruising around at 9am on a Sunday morning on a lessor traveled intersection? Most come because they have heard about it via friends or a forum. Also, keep in mind that the commuter lot we are moving to is very visable from new 29. In theory, it might even be more visable to a greater number of cars.

We also are trying to get the owner of Fractured Prune (an awesome hot donut shop) to bring his mobile donut unit out. And, there is a Starbucks visable and walkable from the commuter lot.

cheers

ken

Good point here. Funny as I have only traveled over the new section of 29 a couple times. I live off 198, just on the otherside of 95, so I am glad to see this event go on. There are a ton of nice people up there and I have learned quite a bit about some of the older rides by going. I've enjoyed bringing my daughter up there for donuts so the mobile donut maker would be awesome!

Anyway, seems like your quite involved in this and I appreciate your efforts in seeing it continue

Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
Does anyone know i the meets are going to move this Sunday (July 6) to the new location? Or is there going to be a hiatus?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Estoril
Does anyone know i the meets are going to move this Sunday (July 6) to the new location? Or is there going to be a hiatus?
I guess if it is not at the current location then people will gather at the park and ride behind the Giant. I will be riding by the place tonight on my way home so if it appears to be boarded up I will post up. Will also pass by on the weekend as well so I will update everyone prior to Sunday.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 PM
TAPOUT is infamous around these parts
I've lived here all my life, and I've never even heard of this meet. I need to get out more.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
sunday was pretty good

Sunday was pretty good. The threatening clouds scared some folks away but we still ended up with a pretty good crowd. I ended up getting a pretty interesting ride in a modified Ford GT with 2 other GTs in tow. That car could haul!

Here are some pictures.

regards

ken

Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Still rolling!

We're still rolling at the donut shop! We had over 125 cars last week with some real nice stuff showing up. Still not sure when the end will come. But when it does, we'll move across the street into the commuter lot.

See ya Sunday!

ken

Last edited by karmakvisser; 07-16-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow, Definately some new stuff. I will try to make it this week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Last Gasp for the Church of the Holy Donut in Maryland?