Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Burmester Or Not to Burmester?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM
speedread is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fmarrero
Go For It... Amazing its sound, just remember to setup through the head unit first.
How with an ipod?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 PM
AceRothstein415 is infamous around these parts
This company also does the system for the Veyron, never personally heard it, but i imagine its outstanding if Bugatti selected to sub contract them for the stereo.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:34 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speedread
How with an ipod?
I tried it with my iPhone. Worked flawlessly. There's a standard headphone jack input for aux-in control via the iPod, and there's also USB-in for iPod control through the head unit.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM
John Galt is infamous around these parts
I took delivery of my 4S just before Christmas. I got the Burmester and it is fabulous. I also have the 20" wheels and they look great.

I was trying to aim to spend a little more than a buck and quarter on this Porsche and I settled for a 4S that had a lot of extras.

Despite this, I now think I should have traded in the extra cost of the Burmester and the wheels towards a turbo.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John Galt
I took delivery of my 4S just before Christmas. I got the Burmester and it is fabulous. I also have the 20" wheels and they look great.

I was trying to aim to spend a little more than a buck and quarter on this Porsche and I settled for a 4S that had a lot of extras.

Despite this, I now think I should have traded in the extra cost of the Burmester and the wheels towards a turbo.
WOW so im guessing you payed about 135 for a 4s??

Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM
John Galt is infamous around these parts
Yeah, you got it about right including taxes and everything. Porsche charges for everything, but I like my cars well equipped.

I plugged my ipod in last night for the first time, and I believe that I can tell the difference between the compromised MP3 and itune recordings vs. my remastered Beatles CDs and the SAT radio.

I was showing off the burmester and car to my 21 year old son home from college. He said, "Dad you're never going to be able appreciate the sound system with those tunes." and he dialed the XM radio over to HipHop nation, cranked dat Soljah boy and the car thumped with bass. Impressed him. I will have to drive in a different neighborhood to impress those at a stop light with me.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by John Galt
...I plugged my ipod in last night for the first time, and I believe that I can tell the difference between the compromised MP3 and itune recordings vs. my remastered Beatles CDs and the SAT radio. ......
I do not have the car yet, but I believe if you encode your CDs in Apple Lossless (no loss of information), & turn off the iPod EQ in its preferences, your iPod will sound like your CDs once you properly adjust your car's EQ.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by ELMEL
I tried it with my iPhone. Worked flawlessly. There's a standard headphone jack input for aux-in control via the iPod, and there's also USB-in for iPod control through the head unit.
So am I correct, you plug in both? The aux-in for controling the iPod, and the USB to get the sound to the head unit? So nothing plugs into the sync port? Electric power comes in through the USB?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Originally Posted by speedread
So am I correct, you plug in both? The aux-in for controling the iPod, and the USB to get the sound to the head unit? So nothing plugs into the sync port? Electric power comes in through the USB?
Almost; iPhone (and newer USB only iPods) need a 'y' cable that plugs into both the iPod port (to interface with PCM) and the USB port (for charging). Older iPods that still have a firewire chip (and dock connector) can use the single cable to the iPod port for PCM interface and power. Single cable with the newer models will interface with the PCM fine, just will not charge.

Also tried an old school iPod shuttle in the USB port and it works OK - music plays and you can control it via the PCM; MP3 tags show up fine, but navigating through the folders does not translate completely (iTunes folder names). Shuttle works well enough to hold me over until the cable shows up.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor
ChampionPorsche has a spectacular aura aboutChampionPorsche has a spectacular aura about
Below is an example of a ridiculously priced Burmester home audio piece.

$49,995

Among the many dazzling displays at the Consumer Electronics Show this week, there stands one that is sure to set everyone back as much for what it is as for how much it costs. The Burmester 069 Reference Line CD Player is the ultimate in high performance electronics equipment and it is gorgeous to boot.
The Burmester CD Player’s spiked feet are set directly onto its standard proprietary aluminum base. It comes with a silver housing and a chrome front panel. The digital playback system is cutting-edge, created for connoisseurs of fine music and superior German design. Perhaps its coolest feature and the one that sets it apart from other of its ilk is the hallmark Burmester proprietary drive that spins the CDs instead of using the off-the-shelf direct-drive mechanisms employed by other manufacturers.
The Burmester CD player has other hi-tech pans in the fire as well. The system utilizes special carbon-fiber, spring pucks, which isolate the sensitive electronics from the external interface. It also features newly developed oscillators (96 and 192-kHz), which create minimal phase noise and high thermal stability.
This ultra, high-tech audio system costs what Jackie Gleason used to refer to in his less lucid, get-rich-quick moments as a “mere bag of shells.” To most of us, however, $49,995 is a bit more than that. Still, I guess we can be grateful because it isn’t quite $50,000, and after all, that would be way too much money to pay for this!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
AlexG is infamous around these parts
You should get the Burmeister. I have it in my Panamera Turbo, and the sound is GREAT!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
The Burmester is the best sounding system I have ever heard in a production car. Even better then any aftermarket system!

I think the problem would be that the Burmester is so good, all other systems might be unbearable.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Heard the Burmester this weekend in Dallas and here are my thoughts. First of all I'm a professional recording engineer/producer so I'm coming from a different direction. I need a system to reference unfinished mixes that is flat and accurate. I was pretty sure my thoughts would verify before I ever heard the system because of the AMT ribbon drivers they're using. The system sounds great, has tons of headroom, and is pretty flat with exception of the slightly aggressive upper mids. This is typical of AMT ribbon drivers ESPECIALLY when listened to above and off axis. I use two different sets of very high-end ADAM studio monitors and they do the same thing here. I will tell you that if flat/reference is what you're looking for then the settings on the stereo need to be set to zero and all of the extra crap needs to be turned off. The listening position needs to be set to "Symmetrical" not "Forward". The mids are way to aggressive when set any other way. This applies to the CD player, probably the same with XM, etc.., just didn't get a chance to listen to the other sources. The low-end is very tight and appears quite accurate.

From a reference point of view this stereo and the Bose shouldn't even exist in the same conversation, completely different. It is light years better if accurate is what you're searching for. I will order mine with it because I need it for what I do. The Bose in the CTT really throws me off, although much better than in the past, it still colors and skews the highs and lows way too much. The Levinson in my Lexus 430 is the only other stock stereo that is close. It has a slightly different problem in/with the mids but I can compensate in my head for the slight inaccuracies. It is outstanding. If your are sensitive to aggressive midrange, as many are the older you get, then you should take your favorite aggressive CD's and go audition the Burmester before purchasing to see if it bothers you. I will have to get used to the spirited mids when referencing mixes but it's still worth the price of admission at least in my case/needs. YMMV

Ted.
www.upstairsproductions.com

Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 AM
CorruptedSanity is infamous around these parts
Ted, thanks for the very detailed review.

Would you elaborate (in layman terms) what is aggressive midrange that you refer to.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
jokkevlo is infamous around these parts
No doubt about, I have it in my Panamera too, all other audio options are really cheap tricks compared to this.

This is a must have in a Panamera, and you WILL enjoy, sure about that !
The detailled review above is how I see it too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To Burmester Or Not to Burmester?